Billet Aluminium shifter bushes..... worth while?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Recently had a refurbish on my Gearbox, new clutch etc.... just wondering if its worth while me changing the shifter bushes too?

For the £20 or so, is it worth while to replace them from the rubber OEM parts that have covered 90,000miles of stress??

Maybe some other parts you guys may suggest to compliment the new setup and keep it tip top. ??

Thanks folks. :)
James

Mark_teg

Staff member
I've thought about these and decided against. I don't think they'll cause any major problems, but Honda made them out of rubber/plastic (??) for a reason. <br />All my personal opinion of course.<br />Apologies if its not much help James. I can recommend the tegiwa short shift kit though :)

jambo

Advanced Member
mate had some for his teg. I dont know if he got round to fitting them. I got them from hybrid racing for him. Ive got rose jointed shifter cables for my k20 eg track car. Is meant to make the shift spot on.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Voodoo had some on his Teg. They were from Hybrid Racing. Said it was well worth doing. I will be doing it when the time comes. Eight speed sell them. Not sure on price though.

TypeOne

We make them specifically for the Type R shifter cables as well. I encouarge anyone to feel them installed in a car with stock bushings.

hello TypeOne,

just a word of warning, if you are thinking about advertising your business you need to be signed up as a trader. your first post should really be an introduction not "we make them blah blah"

thanks.

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
i tried them in the ep3 and didn't like them. far too 'tight'/'notchy' for me.. some like it, some don't

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
I've had the Tegiwa solid metal shifter bushes on my last 2 cars, ep2 and ep3. Made the shift nice and tight and direct but it was really stiff first to second.
I wouldn't buy them again, but would get the Hybrid Racing ones, should be a good happy medium.

jambo

Advanced Member
Mate installed his hybrid ones the other day and said it feels awesome and like a new car again

DC5_Bonson

Advanced Member
Just a little information for you guys! The K-tuned shifter bushes made for the American RSX DO NOT fit in our JDM DC5.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
you need a little play in the system or you will likely wear out or bend the cables more easily, i would keep the honda bushes myself,

hondazzz

Advanced Member
i was searching around for this mod last year..

Hybrid Racing sais that there is some movement in two axis thats why a ball bearing design is needed.. if is so..this means the solid ones wont work as smooth as the Hybrid ones..read the following please,

took this from Hybrid Racing site

"Don't be fooled into thinking that all shifter cable bushings are
created equal. Many companies make the mistake of assuming both bushings
used in the k-series shifter cables can be replaced with solid metal or
delrin bushing. This is not the case. Honda uses rubber bushings in
their cables because it's a cost-effective way to allow 2-degrees of
freedom. A solid metal or delrin bushing allows only 1-degree of
freedom. Generally speaking, eliminating a degree of freedom in the
bushings translates into more effort required to shift and the potential
to bend and ruin your shifter cables.

That's why the Hybrid Racing incorporates a chrome-plated steel
spherical bearing into their shifter bushings. This gives the crisp,
notchy feel you expect from shifter bushings without the extra effort
required to shift, like other brands of bushings."

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Thanks for the response guys, i think for now i will leave it as Honda intended, and maybe go down the Tegiwa short shifter instead. Last thing i want to do is wear out somthing unnecessarily. I think that will compliment the new feel enough for me.

Great reading the mixed reviews, was curious more than anything. Just goes to show that you can do more harm than good withought realising without abit of research ;)

Appreciate it guys, cheers :)
James

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I'll second Mark's review of the short shifter. I gave his car a drive after the Bristol meet and was impressed. Mind I think the 5.1 helped with my overall impression. Just couldn't stop going up and down gears! Didn't want to get back out actually :D

I've read similar things about short shifters possibly increasing wear in the past mind you but I'm guessing Mark did his homework on this before committing to it.

TypeOne

To whom edited my post, I'm not selling or advertising anything. Someone had a question and I answered it. It's been mentioned that the Ktuned bushings don't fit the Type R cables... the Hybrid Racing bushings do.

I acutally own a DC5 Type R (currently awaiting delivery to the USA) so I joined the forum to share that with fellow owners. Since I don't speak Japanese, the UK forum seemed to be the next best place. :)

Just trying to help, not looking to step on anyone's toes here.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
TypeOne said:
We make them specifically for the Type R shifter cables as well. I encouarge anyone to feel them installed in a car with stock bushings.

hello TypeOne,

just a word of warning, if you are thinking about advertising your business you need to be signed up as a trader. your first post should really be an introduction not "we make them blah blah"

thanks.
Hi david, I edited your post and i have replied to your PM,

when you say "we make them specifically for Type R cables" then actually yes you are advertising what your products.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
No probs. I was only confused as firstly I didn't realise you had the same name and secondly I PM'd Simon a while back and was still awaiting a response SIMON :D

Actually if you do read this Si don't worry I've decided to try something else ;)