Clunk when pulling away

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
It seems a clunk/pop type sound has developed over the last couple weeks and it happens every time I pull away, also in reverse.

It makes 1 or 2 clunk/pop sounds just as the clutch is fully released and the car gets moving. Sounds like the front left area.

I've checked all engine mounts, they're all fine and also have the poly inserts. All bolts tight including subframe.

I suspect my coilover top mounts need replacing anyway since they clunk/rattle over speedbumps and have done for the last 5 years... but this new sound is only when pulling away, and occasionally letting off the throttle suddenly and getting back on it to take up the load I imagine.

Could the driveshaft possibly be at fault? I don't notice any clicking on tight turns.

Anything else to check?

Hobs

Mines making the same noise, coming from the front left side of the car.
I suspect it maybe be a top mount, which I'll be replacing soon, I will let ye know if it solves the noise.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Ive had this on odd occasons for years now. Same noise, same place, ive changed brakes, bushes, suspension top mounts, spring, drop links, had ball joints investigated but were clearly solid.... Ive gad clutch changed and gearbox stripped / rebuilt and its still does it occasionally. Every thing has been replaced with new oem or new aftermarket bar springs. Only thing left to change is my driveshaft which is vibrating a gooden, but the noise is now so infrequent ive just grown to live with it. :)

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
I get a clucking noise when i drive the dc5 after not driving it for a few weeks. And it stop after maybe about half a mile.

Dan34

Advanced Member
Mine does it to, replaced both cv joints, all bushes, stripped rebuilt coilovers many times. Still does it, think it might be internally in the gearbox somewhere I can't find anything else wrong.

G

Glad to see I'm not the only one, I think! Ha.

I might replace the driveshaft anyway, I already did the driver side recently with an Insane one, so that could be the noise.

Other than that the top mounts will also get replaced!

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
It's progessed quite a bit since and now knocks/pops a number of times as I pull away, and also on throttle on/off which leads me to believe it is the driveshaft.

I'll be purchasing an Insane Driveshaft and see if this sorts it!

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
According to Tom at TGM, he says its always the passenger side that gives way, never the drivers or middle unless extreme circumstances. He too mentioned just changing the outer cv joint with one from an EP3 as apparently Honda now do them separately?

I too would be interested to know which joint you used or did you just take apart used one?

Thanks
James

beppe786

Beppe
tricker_luke said:
Which joint did you use? How long has it been fitted so far?
new blueprint ep3 joint been on for for around 500 miles no problem.. passenger side outer one..

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I had to change the driver side recently since it had been clicking for 5 years since 50k miles!

I might consider the joint itself for the passenger side then.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
I had to change the driver side recently since it had been clicking for 5 years since 50k miles!

I might consider the joint itself for the passenger side then.
Haha ignore my comment then. what is it that kills them then?

cmhshek

Advanced Member
Did you get around to fixing the problem then? Was it actually the passenger cv joint?

I have exactly the same noise when pulling away :(

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Ive just ordered a cv joint from Mills, its a blueprint one for an EP3, and its cost me £33. Haha. Will report back if mines cured, but above Beppe said he'd got rid of hi by doing it. :)

Im changing mine mainly as I get a horrible vibration under load. Tgm diagnosed it a shaft last month. But I do still get a tick from the front left.