Who's running 17x9 all round?

ktm108

Advanced Member
Hi Guys,

Went down to rota today to try on some new shoes for the teg, interested in a set of rota grids in flat black... I wanted to fill out the arch as much as I could.

The guys in there came up with 17x9 et42 all round and there wouldn't be any need for spacers or arch work :) .... I took some pics but obviously there was no tyres on them. Just wondering if anyone is running this kind of set up?

I'll ideally be wanting to use the same tyres that are in my oem wheels at the moment (tho they will need to be stretched slightly)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
They stick outside the arches a crazy amount, when you add tyres and drop the suspension, you're asking for trouble. Also just a word of warning a OEM sized tyre on a 9" rim is gonna be super stretched, not just slightly.

ktm108

Advanced Member
Hmmmm I was thinking that they were poking out quite a bit but I was told that they would pull back in once it was dropped?....

mike.williams

Advanced Member
its doable but i wouldnt do it unless you are on coilovers and more camber than a frsu or factory would be needed

ive ran 17x9 for over a year. on my 2nd setup now but i had been running +40 with a 255/40 allround. now running +40 front and +49 rear. recently fitted a set of 245 ad08r as they are grippier than the 255/40 federal rsr.

the car is basically a track car

ktm108

Advanced Member
mike.williams said:
its doable but i wouldnt do it unless you are on coilovers and more camber than a frsu or factory would be needed

ive ran 17x9 for over a year. on my 2nd setup now but i had been running +40 with a 255/40 allround. now running +40 front and +49 rear. recently fitted a set of 245 ad08r as they are grippier than the 255/40 federal rsr.

the car is basically a track car
Yh the car is just on eibach springs, not that low at all really just a bit lower than oem. So we saying that the 9j et42 is abit extreme? Could I make a 8j work? If so what sort of offset? (I'm rubbish at wheels) haha

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
I ran 19"x9" with super stretched & 35 profile tyres so it is doable (check my old topic), but I had to have 3 deg -camber and arched rolled ridiculous amounts more than the usual. Still caught the arches and drove like shit.
Looked good though.

ktm108

Advanced Member
I'm pretty set on a set of rota grids in flat black. And want to achieve a slight "poke" out from the arches. After looking at where I'm gonna be getting them from here are my options:

17x7.5 et45
17x8.5 et30
17x9 et42/et25

Those are the options I have for Rota grids in flat black. And I'm trying to avoid doing any arch work. The TEG is on eibach springs and has fast road set up...

What you guys think? Cheers

jrscho

Advanced Member
If possible could look at getting 7.5" for the rears as 8.5/9" you may need arches rolled. I have 7.5" and had to get rear arches rolled but probably cause my car lowered too much lol. But back to my point, could look at 7.5" for rears and 8.5" for fronts just for that extra grip! I'll be looking for wider fronts in the near future just for that touch of more grip..

ktm108

Advanced Member

This a comparison between the oem 17x7 et60 and a 17x8.5 et 30

Don't know how reliable willtgeyfit.com is tho....

ktm108

Advanced Member
so bassicly out of these options only the 7.5 is going to fit?

17x7.5 et45
17x8.5 et30
17x9 et42/et25

ahhh i wish i new stuff about wheel fittments lol this is a nightmare! haha

Rom

Advanced Member
As an idea, these are 8j ET38, 235 45 tyres, on Spoon springs, -1.5 front and -1 rear camber. As you can see, rears were massively poked. These are 37mm more poke oem off the top of my head.
Ill be running 225 with a bit more camber

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Chris rep ping the evo wheels 😆 good man. Try some Japan racing wheels from RE spirit. Similar wheels with better fitment

ktm108

Advanced Member
Rom said:
As an idea, these are 8j ET38, 235 45 tyres, on Spoon springs, -1.5 front and -1 rear camber. As you can see, rears were massively poked. These are 37mm more poke oem off the top of my head.
Ill be running 225 with a bit more camber

That's the look I'm trying to achieve :) tho I'm not too clued up on camber settings ect either so that's why I'm trying to scout a rim that will just go on.... Easier said than done....... :/

Rom

Advanced Member
Well you will need to camber most wheels that are bigger than oem. Most people run around - 1 to - 1.5 anyway. Regardless of wheel choice

If you want to run 9j, you are going to be run in around - 3 camber. Which is quite a lot, especially if you aren't running coilovers.
The picture of the rears on mine, they will contact the rear arches under compression, so aren't practical to run.
I took them straight off.

The fronts as they were still hit my arch liners. So fitting 225 will help me a bit. But just to fit 8j et 38 it's going to need more camber all round.
So you aren't going to fit anything bigger, any easier.

I've been running 20mm spacers on oem for ages. They fill the arches better. And the rears would still run until I rolled the arches!

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
There's a topic on here called something like "What wheels and how they look" and people have posted the spec and posted pics.. Maybe take a look on there to give you an idea of the vast amount of choice you have.