Blower Motor Not Working

gaza4

Advanced Member
Noticed yesterday that the blower has stopped working. Heater seems to be fine because when I drive on the motorway there is an airflow coming through the vents and the temp can be chanced, likewise i believe the AC is fine.

Ive read that it could be the blower transistor but i dont wanna go throwing money at honda as my first course of action....

Mark_teg

Staff member
I'd check the fuse first if you haven't already.

If you're good with electrics you can bypass the transistor to test whether it's at fault.

gaza4

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
I'd check the fuse first if you haven't already.

If you're good with electrics you can bypass the transistor to test whether it's at fault.
yes, i meant to ask where the fuse for the blower is located!!!

gaza4

Advanced Member
got sorted with this, transistor was gone. got one in a scrap yard from an EP shape Civic for €20. Honda wanted €95!!!

maxvr6

Advanced Member
gaza4 said:
got sorted with this, transistor was gone. got one in a scrap yard from an EP shape Civic for €20. Honda wanted €95!!!
I did exactly the same, got one out of an EP3 from a local scrappy for £20, been installed for at least a year now and its still perfect.

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Where is the transistor located? And how can you bypass it to test? I'm just about to look at mine as it recently stopped working.

Thanks, Matt.

gaza4

Advanced Member
Croccy said:
Where is the transistor located? And how can you bypass it to test? I'm just about to look at mine as it recently stopped working.

Thanks, Matt.
the transistor is part no 4 in this diagram. remove the glove box and you should see it. its a small black unit with a plug coming out of it. as i mentioned abocve, EP Civics have the same part if your going for a second hand one.

as for testing it, i've no idea!!!

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Thanks, I dug out the RSX Workshop manual and tested mine and yes it's bust. Luckily I found an exact replacement just sat there behind the glovebox of the Mrs' EP3 :D lol.

Now my blower motors are working fine again!!

Have tested the faulty part and the thermal fuse has blown on it so have ordered a new one of good old ebay for £3. Will fit that back to the ep3 when it turns up :)

gaza4

Advanced Member
Croccy said:
Thanks, I dug out the RSX Workshop manual and tested mine and yes it's bust. Luckily I found an exact replacement just sat there behind the glovebox of the Mrs' EP3 :D lol.

Now my blower motors are working fine again!!

Have tested the faulty part and the thermal fuse has blown on it so have ordered a new one of good old ebay for £3. Will fit that back to the ep3 when it turns up :)
yeah they are actually a cheap fix if you've got the equipment and skill to solder pcbs, madness that honda charge so much!!!

Fez

Advanced Member
I am having this problem too, but if i resolder all the connections it works fine for a day. Ordered new fuses but still not turned up. Hope it is that now.

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
In the end I ordered a new transistor (Just the component itself) for £1.50 on ebay and a new thermal fuse for about £1. Fitted both and it worked perfectly. Its a really easy fix if you know how to use a soldering iron and a solder sucker.

adamamuk

Advanced Member
So today the blowers have decided they've had enough! Anyone know of anywhere I could get a new resistor apart from honda?

Fez

Advanced Member
adm87 said:
So today the blowers have decided they've had enough! Anyone know of anywhere I could get a new resistor apart from honda?
If you're any good with solder, i bought the fuses that go inside the resistor and just soldered that in, and has been spot on since.

The item number on ebay i bought

For £2.57, totally worth it.

HTH

adamamuk

Advanced Member
Fez said:
If you're any good with solder, i bought the fuses that go inside the resistor and just soldered that in, and has been spot on since.

The item number on ebay i bought

For £2.57, totally worth it.

HTH
Cheers mate, much appreciated!

alan-lee

Advanced Member
Related to heaters but not the same issue but since I've taken the air con out 2 things have happened,

Firstly when changing the air flow from say upwards (screen) to downwards (feet) it's as if it doesn't do anything

Secondly the actual blowing power seems worse any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk