Spoon springs uneven and clunking.

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
I have spoon springs on my DC5 and the front driver side is much lower then the rest of the car. I have not properly measured it yet but it's about one finger gap, while the rest I can fit two fingers.
It also clunks when moving off while turning at low speed or going over humps.

Can a faulty shock cause it to sit lower or is it the spring?

Reggie91

Advanced Member
I've been told by TGM it's a common fault with the spoon springs in relation to the noise. It's due to not coming with sleeves on the springs like oem or some other after market springs such as eibachs.

I'm not sure about the unevenness though

spooke

Advanced Member
Tthe clunking could be your steering rack slider. Mine started doing this after lowered on coilovers, after fitting a SHG slider the noise was 99% gone. Worth a shot.

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
Measured it the other day and its about 5mm lower then the passenger side. Anyone else with uneven spoon springs?

Tom (tgm) has confirmed that there is a clunking noise from the front springs, he also says that due to not having sleeves.

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
spooke said:
Tthe clunking could be your steering rack slider. Mine started doing this after lowered on coilovers, after fitting a SHG slider the noise was 99% gone. Worth a shot.
Might have to order one and see if there's any difference even if it doesn't cure the clucking.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I'm about to fit some of these springs, isn't there a way of getting some sleeves to go over the coils ?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Yes. Tein sell them. They are brown in colour, but mine have been fine for a year now.

Its a lowering spring though so won't be as compressed as OEM....it will still make the odd clang/clunk over very harsh bumps.

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Yes. Tein sell them. They are brown in colour, but mine have been fine for a year now.

Its a lowering spring though so won't be as compressed as OEM....it will still make the odd clang/clunk over very harsh bumps.
Silly question but does the suspension needs to be dismantled to fit them on?

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Some springs I've seen have very then pieces of rubber between, the eibach ones are a clear hard rubber thin sleeve. I've got something in mind, will know more in the next few weeks

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Nope. Jack the car up, slip them on. Keep adjusting until your happy. If you put them on every coil you may as well stick the oem springs back on. Lol they do jack the car up slightly.

I put one on each front, where the spring changed from tight coils to large. If they have been on for a few miles you will probably see some marks where they have touched anyway so just go with that.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
ollydc5 said:
Some springs I've seen have very then pieces of rubber between, the eibach ones are a clear hard rubber thin sleeve. I've got something in mind, will know more in the next few weeks
That's exactly what you need.

Col R

linh-ej9 said:
Measured it the other day and its about 5mm lower then the passenger side. Anyone else with uneven spoon springs?

Tom (tgm) has confirmed that there is a clunking noise from the front springs, he also says that due to not having sleeves.
In relation to the unevenness - might seem like a silly question but have you inspected the springs for damage, fractures etc? Hit any pot holes recently?

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
Col R said:
In relation to the unevenness - might seem like a silly question but have you inspected the springs for damage, fractures etc? Hit any pot holes recently?
Not silly at all, will need to have a look, although spring were bought new and not done many miles and have not hit any pot holes.

Col R

linh-ej9 said:
Not silly at all, will need to have a look, although spring were bought new and not done many miles and have not hit any pot holes.
Strange then. Suppose if it were me I'd take off the strut for thorough inspection. Peace of mind goes a long way...

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
Just had a thought. what if the passenger side is sitting higher then the driver side? would need someone with spoon spring to measure and compare.

emmsyDC5xx

Advanced Member
I have SPOON springs and will be working on my teg this afternoon so will gladly measure the sides if you would like :)

My last DC5 had SPOON springs on as well and I have not noticed any uneven height on either of them or any clunking (but I do like to blast my choons in the car so they may well clunk and I don't hear it :D :D )

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
emmsyDC5xx said:
I have SPOON springs and will be working on my teg this afternoon so will gladly measure the sides if you would like :)

My last DC5 had SPOON springs on as well and I have not noticed any uneven height on either of them or any clunking (but I do like to blast my choons in the car so they may well clunk and I don't hear it :D :D )
Yes please do, it would be great help. I measured from the highest part of the fender to the ground and bottom edge of the center caps.

emmsyDC5xx

Advanced Member
Hi! So I measured mine today from bottom of centre cap to the arch and my Teg is:
Drivers side: 380mm
Passenger side: 388mm

She had been jacked up for a bit before this but she'd been sat for half an hour before I measured her. Hope this helps & you get yours sorted fast
:)