Enkei RPF1 Rep's ( Ultralite f1 )

SPOON TEG

Dazaturbo said:
they are very cheap but I've always lived by the buy cheap buy twice rule
you could buy three times actually for the price of the Enkei's =P hahahahahaha but in all seriousness ultralite aren't a bad make right ? they have been making wheels for a long time ....

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
They have indeed been around for a while and you're probably right in the fact they are so cheap they are worth a punt

I'll wait for you to go first 😂😂😂

SPOON TEG

well i did say it was for those who maybe on a tight budget ...if someone went down this route i wouldn't knock them for it you never know could be bargain of the century = )

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Yeah Untralite have been around for years, i would not be worried about them really as i have never heard any bad stories about them.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
But remember, there will come that awkward moment when you park up at a show, in the paddock on track or at a petrol station and someone comes up to you to complement your car and says...'Nice RPFs' and you'll have to correct them and say they're ultralite replicas :cry:

SPOON TEG

or..... you can just say thank you very much = )

If they look the part and people are convinced they are the part then why not = ) I understand the whole JDM points thing i can be just as bad.... but if something is made of the same materials and made the same way ( I'm pretty sure that gen ones aren't made from magnesium and forged...just good old aluminium and cast ) then aren't they the same ? just don't say Enkei on them...but we do put things on pedestals =P

Only time you need to be honest is if you came to sell them.

I was Just trying to save people a bit of money here thats all and thought people might have been interested lol

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Unless they say 'oh wait.. they're not enkeis!'

There must be a difference bud. Either in weight or otherwise.

But if you're happy with them then go for it. You won't have any issues using them on a daily drive

SPOON TEG

More than likely someone will come up and go ...nice Teg lol

They aren't for me as I'm looking at 17x7's for mine as don't want any rubbing and having to resort to arch rolling ...they are just an alternative for someone who love the style of the Enkei's but cant afford the price tag = ) I'm sure there may be subtle differences but probably negligible.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I was convinced the RPF were a forged wheel originally cos of the price of them, but yeah they are a cast wheel. I reckon they are lighter cos enkei claim to use a special casting process. Ultralite are still good a wheel though in my opinion.

I am seeing the light and am growing out of spending huge for genuine, especially fiberglass stuff. However I have my car done already in all genuine stuff so it is too late for me :p . Although I wont bay replica wheels haha, that's the only thing

So ultralite is the cheap version of the rpf1 and on the other end of the spectrum If you want a forged set of RPF1s look up the AME Tracer,

sabberjoch

Advanced Member
TyperItr said:
So ultralite is the cheap version of the rpf1 and on the other end of the spectrum If you want a forged set of RPF1s look up the AME Tracer,
AME wheels are even produced by Enkei themselves.

Wouldn't rock fake rpf1's though, ultralite doesn't make bad wheels, but not light wheels either, enkei's are much lighter. one of the lightest cast wheels around.
Saw something a week ago comparing rpf1 and ce28n both wrapped in ad08R, identical sizing on wheel and tire, no difference in weight at all.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
sabberjoch said:
AME wheels are even produced by Enkei themselves.

Wouldn't rock fake rpf1's though
And I would find it hard to have rpf1s when I know the tracers are out there 😛

sabberjoch

Advanced Member
Don't have the money for those as a student unfortunately, someday i'll get something like those. But first i'll keep the enkei's

Fez

Advanced Member
I had genuine rpf's on my civic, 16x8, they were far from light lol. And i had compomotive m05's before them.. which were even heavier 😂

Reggie91

Advanced Member
If you check Indi's thread his old RPF1's weighted exactly the same as his new CE28's and both were pretty similar fitment.

So its not like they're are super heavy as from my understanding Rays Volks are forged and light?

MeisterR

TyperItr said:
I was convinced the RPF were a forged wheel originally cos of the price of them, but yeah they are a cast wheel. I reckon they are lighter cos enkei claim to use a special casting process.
The Enkei RPF1 as well as all other Enkei Racing Series wheels are all produced via MAT process in Japan.
All Racing series wheels are made in Japan, no exception.

The MAT process is what they call "spun forged".
You have a centre (the spokes) that are casted, then you make the barrel by spinning and stretching the excess metal from the casting process.
By applying heat and pressure to both side of the barrel, you basically "forge" the barrel.

I had a chat with Enkei regarding this process, and it's pros and cons.
Casting allows you to get a little more different design on the spokes, and it isn't as expensive.
In theory, the spokes won't be as strong as a "forged" item.
However, in reality, there are a limit to tensile strength of aluminium alloy forged or cast, so the real world strength difference on the spoke aren't that much different.

The part of the wheels that takes most of the impact, and therefore require to be strong is the barrel.
And of course, both Enkei or Volks use forging technique to create the barrel, so strength is similar.

The Enkei wheels are well made and finish, and of course are expensive.
But you certainly get the quality you paid for, and you never have to say you got REP because the RPF1 is about as classic and as original as they come.

Jerrick