Facelift suspension upgrades

Typerchris

Advanced Member
Hi guys looking for some thoughts on upgrading the suspension on the car I‘ve read various threads in the search with other set ups. Had the teg a few years now an 06 facelift fully oem no mods and it‘s been great although now with limited driving time I have noticed the car feels a little tired in the handling with less of a confident planted feel as I remember.
Going to put a bit of cash into her and get a solid set up for some good road trips this year.

Parts I‘ve bought but not yet fitted are-
hardrace hardened rubber arms
eibach bolts
SHG slider
New ARB bushes

There‘s a set of spoon springs for FL on eBay at the minute I‘m interested in. Anyone with these happy with them on standard shocks? Will the standard shocks take them well long term as Ive read a few members went for mugen showa which is only pfl I understand with the pfl spoons and are happy with that any reason?
Finaly any other parts I should consider for a planted car before a FRSU?
Thanks, Chris

BataLeon

Advanced Member
Carl is running spoon springs, I think he finds them better for day to day usage although he isn't running standard shocks. That being said standard shocks with eibach sportlines is a common thing and they give a similar drop and everyone seems happy with that setup.

http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/45151-carls-cw-2002-dc5-project-restoration-tgm-repaint-pages-567/

I've got my PFL booked in and I'm doing, haven't got round to the bushes but it will be on the list further down the road.

Powerflex camber bolts
Hardrace camber arms
Hardrace droplinks
Eibach Sportlines

Droplinks might be the only thing to consider?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Spoons on standard shocks here...been running it 3-4 years now. I changed my shocks for brand new oem at the time, I‘m still really pleased with the outcome.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
I had spoon springs on my FL. The drop was decent, however they kept clunking when turning at low speeds.

The only thing i would say about this topic is be sure where you want to go with your car before hand. Myself and the guy who bought my spoon springs both went for coilovers shortly after installing the springs. So have a think before buying, otherwise you'll end up buying twice.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Morning all,

I am running Mugen shocks and spoon springs (this setup can be bolted straight onto a FL car) and I love the setup, I maybe removing this soon to put the B16's on that I already have but want to see how these feel at brands before going to the coilovers as I know 100% the current setup feels perfect for the road and a firm yet comfy and forgiving setup daily. On track I have heard that it is also sufficient so whether I will keep the B16's is another story but will know soon.

If you can find them I would recommend the Mugen shock and spoon springs, they give a total drop of 40mm (15mm for the shocks and 25 for the springs and the stance and feel is amazing and you get a great feedback from the car. If you have ever had or driven a DC2 I would say this is how the DC5 feels on this setup, it feels like a DC2 (perfect), all this without camber arms and bolts fitted (which I also have sitting here)

I had spoon springs on my FL. The drop was decent, however they kept clunking when turning at low speeds.
Did you fit the oem plastic bump strip things on the springs? I did and since fitting them have not had one knock, bang or noise from them. I can be on any amount of lock up until full and hear nothing and this has been the case since fitting them. I don't know if this is due to me fitting the black plastic where the springs could and would impact upon hard driving or maybe it's to do with me running them on Mugen shocks

Reggie91

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Did you fit the oem plastic bump strip things on the springs? I did and since fitting them have not had one knock, bang or noise from them. I can be on any amount of lock up until full and hear nothing and this has been the case since fitting them. I don't know if this is due to me fitting the black plastic where the springs could and would impact upon hard driving or maybe it's to do with me running them on Mugen shocks
I had tried, but i used cable sleeves instead as the oem ones do not fit according to Tom at TGM. He mentioned that the reason why its clunks is because the springs are too short for the damper so there is movement. You might not have had this issue because you were running shorter mugen dampers.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
I had tried, but i used cable sleeves instead as the oem ones do not fit according to Tom at TGM. He mentioned that the reason why its clunks is because the springs are too short for the damper so there is movement. You might not have had this issue because you were running shorter mugen dampers.
That's odd, John & I managed to get the oem sleeves on the spoon springs no issues (images in my build thread), but agreed my shocks are slightly smaller (15mm additional drop) so maybe this is why it's a perfect fit and feel.

Have said if I sell the setup and fit my B16's I will sell it as it is (shocks and springs combo)

Typerchris

Advanced Member
Thanks for the input folks, looking like the mugen showa with pfl spoons seem a good way to go. The issues with clunking if I go for FL spoons on oem set up is putting me off unless the spring covers solve this? Or is it just that the compression isn‘t there? Will this effect the feel of the car?as there is a set of pfl and a set of FL spoons available at the minute and the FL would be cheaper as wouldn‘t need the mugen shocks.
Cheers

Reggie91

Advanced Member
You'll get that clunk with both FL and PFL. It is the fact the compression isn't there and the spring doesn't sit tight enough in the damper.

You can get FL mugen showa dampers to team with the FL spring but are hard to come by. So PFL springs and PFL mugen dampers would be easier to find.

Why not look at Eibach kits? They come with the rubber sleeves already, so no need to mess around with oem ones. TGM recommend those over the spoon springs.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
You'll get that clunk with both FL and PFL. It is the fact the compression isn't there and the spring doesn't sit tight enough in the damper.

You can get FL mugen showa dampers to team with the FL spring but are hard to come by. So PFL springs and PFL mugen dampers would be easier to find.

Why not look at Eibach kits? They come with the rubber sleeves already, so no need to mess around with oem ones. TGM recommend those over the spoon springs.
If I remember correctly Mugen Showa were only pfl ever and are now discontinued and very hard to find (they were very expensive new), so my setup is literally what you need (I can give you a heads up if I sell them and fit the b16‘s), won‘t be long til I decide.

The shocks are low mileage and in great condition, the springs brought new have covered under 2k miles (1.8k max)

Other option is as as said above, Eibachs (but the stance isn‘t as good imo)

Typerchris

Advanced Member
Thanks Carl looking like the best option just hard to find. Let me know if you decide to sell. The eibach is a much cheaper option but as you say the stance isn‘t great.
Cheers,
Chris

Torque GT

Parts Trader
Eibach springs won't work on a Facelift DC5, unfortunately. Pre-facelift only.

So far as I'm aware, Spoon springs are the only one's available for the Facelift Teg.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thanks Carl looking like the best option just hard to find. Let me know if you decide to sell. The eibach is a much cheaper option but as you say the stance isn‘t great.
Cheers,
Chris
Will do Chris, wont be too long as I just need to get a track session booked when the weather here has sorted itself out so I can see how the setups feel and to decide if the B16's will give me what I want or not.

Drop me a pm to remind me in case I forget mate :)

Carl

Typerchris

Advanced Member
Thanks Carl I‘m on no rush as the car is limited driving until spring but I‘ll drop u a pm over the coming month or so see how you get on and if I‘m still in the market for the set up.
Chris

CW05TEG

Advanced Member
I have Spoon springs on my facelift with standard shocks and they did make a little noise at first. After a week of running I went around and tightened the top mounts and it's now fine. The only thing I would say is the rear drop is quite minimal compared to the front. It gives the car a bit of a raked look to it. I'm going to fit some hubcentric spacers on though and all should be good. I use the car as a daily so wouldn't want to go any lower to be honest.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Torque GT said:
Eibach springs won't work on a Facelift DC5, unfortunately. Pre-facelift only.

So far as I'm aware, Spoon springs are the only one's available for the Facelift Teg.
I've got Tein S tech springs which are made for the facelift TEG,running them on standard dampers. They may be a tad hard for some but I`m now 60 years old and love how they feel. As far as I can remember they are a decent 20mm drop all round and give the car a great stance. They weren't expensive,around £160 I think. HTH David

Typerchris

Advanced Member
Hadn‘t looked in to Teins David might be worth a look for the price they are worth considering. Not to fussed on a slightly harsh ride more the feel for me within reason.
Looking into which bushes are worth replacing at the moment to get the whole car set up at once.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I've just bought Bilstein B14 coilovers, Eibach rear camber arms, Eibach camber bolts, new top mounts and new EP3 track rod ends.

I've heard really good reviews about the B14's and they're meant have really good road compliency. You also get height adjustability with German quality.

£980 for the B14's, top mounts and bolts
£190 for the arms and bolts

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk