Full Fluid Change - recommendations and suppliers?

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Hi All,

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Years.

I am about to start getting everything sorted for a full fluid service and actually spend some time driving the car this year as it has mainly been sat about for the last few months due to having another daily.... What are people's preferences on the following and sources to purchase? Also if people know required quantities that would be great aswell!

PAS Fluid
Brake Fluid
Clutch Fluid
G/Box Fluid - MTF 3 (Honda)
Coolant
Engine oil

I also had a health check carried out in early September and they have recommended to change the following:-

Both suspension mounts - I am currently on BuddyClub N+ coilovers - not sure if that will be a problem?
Both track rod end covers
Anti-roll bar links

Any help would be great.

Cheers,
Carl.

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
I literally just did a fluid change on my car a few weeks ago.

I didn't do the brake or clutch fluid as I will do them another time when I get the brakes refreshed.

I went Honda OEM for all my fluids.

Power Steering Fluid - (Honda PSF-S) - 1L
G/Box Fluid - (Honda MTF 3) - 2L
Coolant - (Honda Type 2 Premixed) - I had 5L plus smaller 1L and have about 1L left. Depends how much you get out.
Engine oil - (Honda HFS 5w-40) I got x2 4L. Useful to have to top up. Believe it takes around 4.7ish.

I also got the lower ball joint boots replaced as they were beginning to perish and seep grease. 36 quid EACH for a boot and circlip from Honda but worth it as it will protect the ball joints and fits perfectly.

Mechanic said the old fluids looked okay but my car has around 66k on it now so it had probably never been done before and most cars usually have them done at around 60k.

Jordan

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
JordanSuth said:
I literally just did a fluid change on my car a few weeks ago.

I didn't do the brake or clutch fluid as I will do them another time when I get the brakes refreshed.

I went Honda OEM for all my fluids.

Power Steering Fluid - (Honda PSF-S) - 1L
G/Box Fluid - (Honda MTF 3) - 2L
Coolant - (Honda Type 2 Premixed) - I had 5L plus smaller 1L and have about 1L left. Depends how much you get out.
Engine oil - (Honda HFS 5w-40) I got x2 4L. Useful to have to top up. Believe it takes around 4.7ish.

I also got the lower ball joint boots replaced as they were beginning to perish and seep grease. 36 quid EACH for a boot and circlip from Honda but worth it as it will protect the ball joints and fits perfectly.

Mechanic said the old fluids looked okay but my car has around 66k on it now so it had probably never been done before and most cars usually have them done at around 60k.

Jordan

Hi Jordan and thanks for the input.

I never really thought about getting engine oil from Honda as generally I usually go with branded Shell / Mobil etc stuff. However, the other stuff i'll get from honda so thanks for that.

------------------------------

With regards to the top mounts, as I have Buddyclub coilovers would I need any specific top mounts or possibly have replace the coilovers themselves - not entirely sure how the top mounts connect to the coilies tbh or if they're all in one?.

Cheers,
Carl.

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
No worries. I just decided to stick with OEM for everything. I would definitely stick with OEM for the rest of the fluids but oil is personal preference. They're all much and such the same.

I'm not sure about your other question but I'm sure someone else on the forum will be better placed to answer it.

Jordan

carl hammond

Advanced Member
With regards to the top mounts, as I have Buddyclub coilovers would I need any specific top mounts or possibly have replace the coilovers themselves
Cheers,
Carl.
Do you know what version of Buddyclub Coilovers you have on the car and how old they are? From memory Bilstein is the only coilover for a DC5 that uses OEM topmounts as they don't offer any form of adjustability from the topmount at all. If yours have camber adjustability etc then these wont use OEM topmounts and you'll need to source the correct ones for the setup, maybe drop Buddyclub UK/Europe a message and see what you will need, the other option is maybe (depending on how old they are etc) replace the coilovers :-(

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Do you know what version of Buddyclub Coilovers you have on the car and how old they are? From memory Bilstein is the only coilover for a DC5 that uses OEM topmounts as they don't offer any form of adjustability from the topmount at all. If yours have camber adjustability etc then these wont use OEM topmounts and you'll need to source the correct ones for the setup, maybe drop Buddyclub UK/Europe a message and see what you will need, the other option is maybe (depending on how old they are etc) replace the coilovers :-(
Thanks for the info Carl. I'll have a look later and see what spec they are - is there anywhere I should look on the coil-over to see the exact spec?

Cheers,
Carl.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thanks for the info Carl. I'll have a look later and see what spec they are - is there anywhere I should look on the coil-over to see the exact spec?

Cheers,
Carl.
If you have a look at the lower end of the shock where it mounts to the car/hub there is normally a sticker there, never had BuddyClub so can't be 100% on that but it's normally where there would be a sticker or similar with something that may help (like in this example here mate https://www.japshop.co.uk/acatalog/BC-N--DC5-440.html)

Elliot438

Honda PSF, I would get 2 litres and use some to flush out the old stuff.
Honda MTF. 1.8L. Also consider getting a magnetic drain plug for the box, maybe engine too.
5w40 fully synthetic engine oil. Shell Helix Ultra is my go to for all cars I service. Anywhere around 5L depending how well you drain it and how full you want it.
Brake/ clutch fluid. I believe DOT4 is fine but I use DOT5.1. Not sure on amount maybe about 3L to do brakes and clutch.
Honda Type 2 coolant. About 6L. Consider checking thermostat is in working condition whilst doing this job, these engines should warm up pretty fast. You can bench test a thermostat.

I take it you mean the boots are knackered on the track rod ends? Check if you coilovers are DC5 ones and not EP3 ones as you will need matching track rod ends. Hardrace are good and readily available however I got some Moog ones from ECP as they are also a good brand.

ARB drop links, I use Hardrace.

How about spark plugs, cabin filters, air filter, fuel fitler?