HKS F-CON S

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
Afternoon all,

I was lifting up my carpet today and to my surprise I found this little box hidden under the passenger footwell carpet.

I did a little research but I haven't seen anything about one being installed in a DC5 so it must be rare to see one. They're definitely not factory standard anyway?

From the info online: it piggybacks off the ECU and is for the fuel and ignition timing. I don't know much more than that but I was hoping someone on here would be able to shed some more light on it?

Jordan

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
From memory in my old GTI-R, GTR and EVO days a lot of the guys used to run these (mainly as it was an alternative piggy back ecu that only licenced HKS dealers could work on, which are in the UK few and far between). I have never seen one on a DC5 but I assume that in Japan there are more HKS dealers/tuners around and they (I don't believe use K100 or KPRO's there) so are limited to the likes of Spoon, Mugen and AEM alternatives etc meaning this is another alternative.

I have never had one myself as I always had dedicated standalone or aftermarket ECU's on my cars, but I believe this would have given the owner in Japan the option of a couple of potential maps for different uses (but in Japan) there would have been more companies with the maps/licences to work on and tweak these systems for the owners.

One benefit was that the system offered the owners a datalogging function but again having never experienced one I am not too sure as too how good it was. In my first GTI-R I had a Nismo ECU and that was a nightmare to work with and have mapped etc so assume the HKS F-CON will be very similar mate.

I would see how easy it is to remove and then advertise it online to see if one of the Mitsubishi Evo, Nissan GTI-R, GTR or S13/14/15 or Supra owners bites for it as HKS products are more readily available for those cars and more in demand. I am sure Abbey Motorsport are or were Licenced to work on these units so you could contact them as they did a lot of work on one of my old GTR's many many years ago.

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
From memory in my old GTI-R, GTR and EVO days a lot of the guys used to run these (mainly as it was an alternative piggy back ecu that only licenced HKS dealers could work on, which are in the UK few and far between). I have never seen one on a DC5 but I assume that in Japan there are more HKS dealers/tuners around and they (I don't believe use K100 or KPRO's there) so are limited to the likes of Spoon, Mugen and AEM alternatives etc meaning this is another alternative.

I have never had one myself as I always had dedicated standalone or aftermarket ECU's on my cars, but I believe this would have given the owner in Japan the option of a couple of potential maps for different uses (but in Japan) there would have been more companies with the maps/licences to work on and tweak these systems for the owners.

One benefit was that the system offered the owners a datalogging function but again having never experienced one I am not too sure as too how good it was. In my first GTI-R I had a Nismo ECU and that was a nightmare to work with and have mapped etc so assume the HKS F-CON will be very similar mate.

I would see how easy it is to remove and then advertise it online to see if one of the Mitsubishi Evo, Nissan GTI-R, GTR or S13/14/15 or Supra owners bites for it as HKS products are more readily available for those cars and more in demand. I am sure Abbey Motorsport are or were Licenced to work on these units so you could contact them as they did a lot of work on one of my old GTR's many many years ago.
Cheers mate. I seen online they're more tailored to the Evo, Supra etc guys. I thought you'd know a bit about them because I do remember you saying you'd owned a few of these sorts of cars in the past.

I wonder if the unit is on an active map at the moment... I've only got a 5Zigen catback and Top Fuel Zero 1000 intake which again came from Japan.

I take it these are units are just like any other mapping unit then? KPRO and Hondata sort it thing?

Jordan

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Cheers mate. I seen online they're more tailored to the Evo, Supra etc guys. I thought you'd know a bit about them because I do remember you saying you'd owned a few of these sorts of cars in the past.

I wonder if the unit is on an active map at the moment... I've only got a 5Zigen catback and Top Fuel Zero 1000 intake which again came from Japan.

I take it these are units are just like any other mapping unit then? KPRO and Hondata sort it thing?

Jordan

They are sort of similar but offer less functionality I believe - https://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product/electronics/computer/f-con/is/index.html can give a little info on them but I found this:

The S series is HKS's correction / trim only ECU.

It features:
• 4 24x16 INJection trim maps (8x in total, for AFM or MAP), suitable for different fuel octane ratings.
• 4 24x16 IGNition trim maps (8x in total, for AFM or MAP), suitable for different fuel octane ratings.
• 24x16 INJection and IGNition trim maps, for scramble mode.
• 12x8 INJection and IGNition correction map based on throttle change and RPM.

It also features 2 optional voltage outputs suitable for:
• Airflow.
• Pressure.
• Throttle.

Injection (fuel) and ignition (spark) trim and correction can be individually enabled and disabled by:
• VPC
• Throttle change correction map
• Scramble map
• GCC (graphical control computer)
• IAT correction map
• ECT correction map
• Fuel trim map A
• Fuel trim map B

It seems it's more for fine tuning to get the fueling etc all accurate for the mods / bolt on's on the car (similar to a K100 and KPRO, but it's not as easy to find mappers able to work with them in the UK and Europe.

OIt's likely that the car's been setup specifically for the Bolton's with this unit so I would say (if you are looking to change things and keep modding) then consider a K100 at minimal (which is what I have as I have no need to fine tune things myself) or a Kpro and part this out and sell on. But if you are not looking to change anything then leave as is and enjoy the car if it's performing as you'd expect and want :)

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
They are sort of similar but offer less functionality I believe - https://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product/electronics/computer/f-con/is/index.html can give a little info on them but I found this:

The S series is HKS's correction / trim only ECU.

It features:
• 4 24x16 INJection trim maps (8x in total, for AFM or MAP), suitable for different fuel octane ratings.
• 4 24x16 IGNition trim maps (8x in total, for AFM or MAP), suitable for different fuel octane ratings.
• 24x16 INJection and IGNition trim maps, for scramble mode.
• 12x8 INJection and IGNition correction map based on throttle change and RPM.

It also features 2 optional voltage outputs suitable for:
• Airflow.
• Pressure.
• Throttle.

Injection (fuel) and ignition (spark) trim and correction can be individually enabled and disabled by:
• VPC
• Throttle change correction map
• Scramble map
• GCC (graphical control computer)
• IAT correction map
• ECT correction map
• Fuel trim map A
• Fuel trim map B

It seems it's more for fine tuning to get the fueling etc all accurate for the mods / bolt on's on the car (similar to a K100 and KPRO, but it's not as easy to find mappers able to work with them in the UK and Europe.

OIt's likely that the car's been setup specifically for the Bolton's with this unit so I would say (if you are looking to change things and keep modding) then consider a K100 at minimal (which is what I have as I have no need to fine tune things myself) or a Kpro and part this out and sell on. But if you are not looking to change anything then leave as is and enjoy the car if it's performing as you'd expect and want :)
Excellent replies, thank you! My plan all along was to keep the car standard (ish - with the current breathing mods) so knowing that the car has been fine tuned through the HKS for its current set up means it will be staying where it is. I love the car the way it is so why change something if it ain't broken!? Plus I'm sure knowing how the Japanese operate it was probably fine tuned properly since they're so meticulous with their engineering work.

I had a small water leak down there due to cracked seam sealant grr! So hopefully no water has managed to get near the device. It was thankfully bone dry where all the cables where going into the HKS device.

Next job is to get the wing off and the seam sealant replaced.

Jordan

ste01

Advanced Member
The Japanese love a piggy back ECU, much more common than they are here. If it works, leave it be 👍