Do I sell my ohlins?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I'm struggling to know what to do here. At the moment my car is pretty low, in particular at the front where you cant even fit your finger under the arch lip because the tyre is right there. Thankfully since I've done my ball joints at least they don't scrub any more.

I was all up for adjusting the height myself but some more reading on here reveals I'll be stiffening up the spring further meaning an already harsh ride will get even worse. What I wanted to do was raise it by about 15mm all around and then soften up the damper if its not already set to its softest to see if it gets a bit more of an acceptable ride quality. I don't track the car and its my daily driver. I've only owned the car for about 3 - 4 weeks and Mrs is going crazy about how solid the ride is. Went through some country lanes the other night where there was a few bumps and she was bouncing about 2 inches off the seat!

I've considered going for OEM shocks with eibach or spoon springs like so many others do on here but wouldn't I be putting the shocks out of their natural working range and tire them out more quickly? As far as can see there are no uprated damper kits available for the DC5 like most cars (Koni's etc)

Also if I do sell my ohlins what should I be asking for them?

Thanks

Dave

b19twg

Advanced Member
Take a look at the bilstein kits.

http://www.eightspeed.co.uk/acatalog/Shock_Absorbers.html

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I've not looked at EP3 suspension at all. Is it a straight swap or are there other parts you need to make EP3 parts fit? The first set of shocks are a much cheaper alternative to Honda but problem is they are still make for running standard height springs. Still out of working range unless I go for the top kit for £800+

firthy22

Advanced Member
Eibach Pro Springs work fine with standard shocks, give a perfect ride with good handling. I have these with uprated ARB's and it corners like a dream.

I would never put coilovers on a road car, just too harsh and you can't go as low as you want because of the speed bumps over here.

b19twg

Advanced Member
I think you would have to run ep3 track rod ends.

But the eibach option is prob your best bet.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Ok. Are the track rod ends a straight forward replacement? Other thing I've read is something about a spacer may be needed somewhere on the rear shocks too. Is there anyone on here running EP3 shocks? Is it easy enough to do? The Bilstein B4 shocks with Eibach springs looks a pretty cheap option for a brand new set up.

Is there anything else I need to look at changing at the same time? Top mounts? Not sure if the shocks come with those.

Anyone care to hazard a guess on the value of my Ohlins?

Thanks for all the help so far

b19twg

Advanced Member
Track rod ends are a straight swap.

Think you may be right about the rear.

Depends what model and what condition they're in. They're high end stuff ohlins.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
The lower rear mounts are narrower and will require 2 x1mm spacers ( stainless steel washers are ideal) per side

davidpingu

Advanced Member
How can I tell what type they are? They look like they have the gold swift springs on them. Also they have the pillow ball top mounts

donkeykong

Advanced Member
maybe it's just that the springs that are very hard which makes the ride uncomfortable, ohlins normally use eibach springs for their sets.
can be the DFV or the PCV make some pictures so i can see.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I'll take some pics tomorrow. Don't the DFV have the extra oil res on the side? They don't have those in which case I'm guessing they would be the PCV?

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Ok I'll put pics up but to be honest I'm not really sure how easily identifiable they will be. They are the usual gold type colour scheme with the blue adjustment collars. Front ones have the damping adjustment screw at the bottom of the strut. Other than that they will probably look more or less like any other coilovers

donkeykong

Advanced Member
like i said people switch springs, swift is not standard. i think that'what makes your car stiff.
so maybe you can get the original springs for them or sell and get eibach springs with stock suspension.
if you sell them let me know.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Think I'll swap them out for oem and see how the car feels and then decide what to do with them. For FRSU on oem shocks I need to buy a few more bits and pieces to make camber adjustable from what I understand? Anybody have spare oem setup lying around they would sell?

George K

Advanced Member
Changing the ride height does not change the spring rate, unless you use so much preload that there is no droop - and if your Ohlins have ride height adjustment separate from preload, then there is not an issue anyway.. As various people have said your best option is to fit softer springs - Eibach carry a vast range - just need to make sue that you get the right free length - there are quite a few threads about recommended rates - also the UK Ohlins agents, Aurok can probably guide you.

I have AST dampers and custom spring rates and the ride is better than o.e, so coil overs should not be an issue.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Thanks. I guess the springs are worth a try. Should still be cheaper than getting second hand oem setup. I'll try and find out a decent spring rate. I'd been told my ohlins were JDM and not able to handle UK roads whatever the setup, that's what put me off them but I'll give a softer setup a go and see how it goes. Cheers everyone