Dc5 weight

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I had the dc5 weighed yesterday, with near enough 1/2 tank of fuel and it was exactly 1,180kg, book figure.

jasondc55

Advanced Member
A lot of people stop and ask me how much bhp the car has when I tell them they frown and say that aint much. I said its all about power to weight a car of the similar size say the Astra VxR has more bhp Is 200 kg heavier thats 2 adults and a small childs worth.
The combination of a lightweight body, a rigid structure, a bullet shaped body, a well balanced chassis and a engine that has a powerband similar to that of a motorcycle the dc5 was always going to be a winning package not to mention economical round town with its lack of weight.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
A lot of people stop and ask me how much bhp the car has when I tell them they frown and say that aint much. I said its all about power to weight a car of the similar size say the Astra VxR has more bhp Is 200 kg heavier thats 2 adults and a small childs worth.
The combination of a lightweight body, a rigid structure, a bullet shaped body, a well balanced chassis and a engine that has a powerband similar to that of a motorcycle the dc5 was always going to be a winning package not to mention economical round town with its lack of weight.
I need to print this off!! A very good comeback for when people say "that's not a lot of BHP!"

I thought the gross/kerb weight was 1160kg for theses cars?

obizzle32

Advanced Member
With roughly the same in the tank mine weighed in at 1169kg when I had it on the scales being corner weighted. Really lightweight cars! Makes me laugh when my friends Audi tt weighs nearly 300kg more!

Mark_teg

Staff member
Really?? I thought mk1 TTs were nearer the 2tonne mark! (I know they don't look it)

obizzle32

Advanced Member
You may be right, it's was around the 1400-1500kg mark as we were checking his car booklet. But to be honest my memory isn't my best allie :)

Saint Matt

Advanced Member
My DC5 was 1140kg on the weigh bridge at Mallory, no fuel in though and a few minor weight savings (toda exhaust, manifold, flywheel etc)

Humm

Advanced Member
Wonder how much you could get it down to without actually loosing anything important if you know what i mean

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
My DC5 was 1140kg on the weigh bridge at Mallory, no fuel in though and a few minor weight savings (toda exhaust, manifold, flywheel etc)
I think a litre of fuel is slightly more than 1kg, so it would equate about the same with mine having fuel.

My Advan RC2 wheels are quite lightweight, but I'm running my Buddyclub P1 track wheels at the moment with AD08 tyres and they seem to be quite a bit heavier than the Advans!

jasondc55

Advanced Member
Im thinking about losing my air con as I never use it . The aircon unit and radiator is worth around the 10 kg mark. :xwavey:.
My good friend Ollydc5 has nearly stripped his and is thinking of lexan windows next but I think his weight reduction has balanced out as he has chassis under body struts . Carbon Bonnet will loose you a couple of kg more importantly transfering the centre of gravity downwards. His car is awesome on track.

dotty

Advanced Member
Im thinking about losing my air con as I never use it . The aircon unit and radiator is worth around the 10 kg mark. :xwavey:.
My good friend Ollydc5 has nearly stripped his and is thinking of lexan windows next but I think his weight reduction has balanced out as he has chassis under body struts . Carbon Bonnet will loose you a couple of kg more importantly transfering the centre of gravity downwards. His car is awesome on track.
Unless its purely a track car I would not even consider removing the ac unit!

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Rotrex supercharger replaces the aircon pump. I think thats a reason to loose the aircon! Actually this summer Ireland has not even reached 20 degrees yet so we have no need for Aircon anyway (for us).

Anyway. Does anybody have an official figure on the weight of a DC2? Also are the recaros actually quite heavy?

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I was thinking the same! Mine hasn't worked for over a year.

The pump engages (clicks) when the relay is shorted, the switch illuminates but between the switch to ECU to fusebox something goes wrong...

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
call me mad but ive removed it and i'm staying in cyprus! neddless to say today its 35 degrees :p
I'm currently sitting in the south of France using my parents villa and i would dread to drive around here if the Audi i'm using did not have AC :xaiweb3:

Thing is, surely you don't want to steam up when your on track even more than say just tootling down your road at 10MPH.

TimB

Advanced Member
Had mine Corner weighted the other day and it's now down to 1084kg (half tank of fuel and no driver) , we have since had a plastic rear window installed and removed the heater matrix, still some to go and trying to get down to 1000kg which includes fuel but not the driver.