Which exhaust setup

yn08_teg

I admit, the noise of the spoon system will definitely need to be sampled before I purchased one.

The thing that I'm finding hard is that I love the way the kaki sits and a little bit of the tailpipe hangs out the back.

I reckon my system has been in there a while though

Mark_teg

Staff member
yn08_teg said:
I admit, the noise of the spoon system will definitely need to be sampled before I purchased one.

The thing that I'm finding hard is that I love the way the kaki sits and a little bit of the tailpipe hangs out the back.

I reckon my system has been in there a while though
I think you're answering your own question then ;)
Get it removed, looked at and repaired properly. Choose an exhaust company and tell them how loud you want it, they then know how much deadening to put in.

I had a Kakimoto regu 06&R on my dc5 for years, covering probably tens of thousands of miles. The second owner did the same and it's now in the hands of its third owner with no repairs that I know of (feel free to correct me if you read this) and it still looks new.

I now have one on my fd2 :)

I've not tried an RM01a to compare but I've tried a few others (on various k20 cars) and for me the kaki is the best system as it's silent most of the time but sounds like a jet when in vtec.

If chasing power figures go for a Js Racing 60rs or a custom 3" but they come with drawbacks IMO.
For daily use or track days where noise levels can be an issue, go for any of the Jasma approved system (whichever you like the look or sound of).

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone has a different noise tolerance too.
What I will like to add is, if one car has an OEM exhaust and another has a 3" custom, would there really be any difference in a quarter mile time at santa pod? I think not.

yn08_teg

I've been having a think and I do feel that I may end up going down the rm01a route but keep the kaki backbox in the garage with the idea of getting an unslinced midpipe at some point in the future.

To those that are running an rm01a - what options are there in terms of headers and cats with this system?

I know alot of people talk about the tegiwa mani, but that is decat which would mean I need to find a friendly mot garage... would this even mate to the rm01a?

Another option I think I'm right in saying (not 100% sure though) is either a spoon or J's racing 4-2 and then keep the existing cat or get a sports cat installed...? Again just thinking of options here

carl hammond

Advanced Member
yn08_teg said:
I've been having a think and I do feel that I may end up going down the rm01a route but keep the kaki backbox in the garage with the idea of getting an unslinced midpipe at some point in the future.

To those that are running an rm01a - what options are there in terms of headers and cats with this system?

I know alot of people talk about the tegiwa mani, but that is decat which would mean I need to find a friendly mot garage... would this even mate to the rm01a?

Another option I think I'm right in saying (not 100% sure though) is either a spoon or J's racing 4-2 and then keep the existing cat or get a sports cat installed...? Again just thinking of options here
For Rm01a you can run

Oem header and oem cat then Rm01a catback

Spoon 4-2 header and oem cat then Rm01a catback

Spoon 4-2 header and sport cat then Rm01a catback

Tegiwa header (With decat) then Rm01a catback

DC Sport Racing header (With decat) then Rm01a catback

Solid fab header (With decat) then Rm01a Catback but buy his sport cat

Im also sure piper do a system for the EP3 so they could also for a DC5 but never looked, but the above are some options

yn08_teg

Wow, those are some great option.

Fantastic, thank you for detailing those. From memory you run the DC sport header, right?

Cheers

carl hammond

Advanced Member
yn08_teg said:
Wow, those are some great option.

Fantastic, thank you for detailing those. From memory you run the DC sport header, right?

Cheers
Yes mate DC Sport race header and Rm01a catback

Linus27

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
I think you're answering your own question then ;)
Get it removed, looked at and repaired properly. Choose an exhaust company and tell them how loud you want it, they then know how much deadening to put in.
I had a Kakimoto regu 06&R on my dc5 for years, covering probably tens of thousands of miles. The second owner did the same and it's now in the hands of its third owner with no repairs that I know of (feel free to correct me if you read this) and it still looks new.
I now have one on my fd2 :)

I've not tried an RM01a to compare but I've tried a few others (on various k20 cars) and for me the kaki is the best system as it's silent most of the time but sounds like a jet when in vtec.
If chasing power figures go for a Js Racing 60rs or a custom 3" but they come with drawbacks IMO.
For daily use or track days where noise levels can be an issue, go for any of the Jasma approved system (whichever you like the look or sound of).
Different strokes for different folks. Everyone has a different noise tolerance too.
What I will like to add is, if one car has an OEM exhaust and another has a 3" custom, would there really be any difference in a quarter mile time at santa pod? I think not.
This picture is now my wallpaper at work on my PC. Awesome picture

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I went with your recommendation and got the rm01a. So far I'm delighted with it and I really like the sound it makes... dare I say better than the kakimoto...?
mot really is epic mate, the Kaki imo is second best overall but I do like the distinct noise it generates on full throttle but always wondered if the novelty would wear off, glad you like it mate :)

stewR

mot really is epic mate, the Kaki imo is second best overall but I do like the distinct noise it generates on full throttle but always wondered if the novelty would wear off, glad you like it mate :)

Carl, thanks to reading your detailed posts, I ended up buying a RM01A a few weeks ago. My car had a custom Powerflow cat back on it when I bought it and found it to be too civil for my tastes. The RM01A though is just right. It sounds great, looks good, light. So, thank you for doing the research you did!

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Carl, thanks to reading your detailed posts, I ended up buying a RM01A a few weeks ago. My car had a custom Powerflow cat back on it when I bought it and found it to be too civil for my tastes. The RM01A though is just right. It sounds great, looks good, light. So, thank you for doing the research you did!
No problem at all mate, glad you like it and I have had a similar message from someone else who said it's by far the best modification they have made to their DC5, I have to say it's the bets one I have done to mine I think...