Dc5 new owner - front spring issues

L33LEG

Hi I've just bought a DC5 (will start a thread about it over the weekend to show it off), however the only issue I have with it is the previous owner said a garage fitted some lowering springs and whilst turning at low speeds or in car parks they rub/catch. I'm planning on stripping it down on Saturday to see if I can notice why but was wondering if anyone had similar issues? It's my first integra, first honda since I had a crx many years ago so completely new to them really.

The springs and shocks sound perfect and rides really well once driving normally with no noises anywhere or bangs going over bumps.

Thank you, Lee

L33LEG

Quick update with this.

I thought the noise might of been the sleeves that are on the coils so last night I took them off and the noise had gone completely. However I was driving earlier today and the noise came back on the passenger side. Just had a read about it and sounds like those sleeves are actually to prevent this noise when the coils hit eachother. Looks like I need to put them back on. If I bought more sleeves and put them around more coils would it affect anything?

Sound like the top of the coil is where it's making the noise so that's the first (and most awkward) place to fit one.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
This is normally only had with oem shocks and spoon springs. What springs do you have?

There are two reasons this can happen, springs not fitted 100% flush in the damper at the bottom or the springs are contacting but if you’re hearing this at the top it’s possible it’s the top mount bearings going or gone.

I had a clunking / knocking noise when I removed my Mugen dampers and Spoon spring setup (with the spring sleeves on) and never made a noise

Fitted my Bilstein coilovers and they clunked on full lock, ended up being the top mount bearings (as these use the same topmounts as oem and Mugen dampers)

L33LEG

Hi I've got standard shocks with brand new tein springs.

I had another look this morning and it's looking like it's the top mount. Whislt turning the wheel you can see it murder lookingup the shock on the top rubber. I'll buy the part and fit it and also can see then if the top rubber was fitted correctly.

Am I right in thinking that I'll be better buying the bearing plate and not the actual top mount? Noticed they are seperate parts. Aren't expensive so don't mind trying it and seeing if it solves it or not.

Realised that the sleeves are mainly for the coils banging going over bumps, my noise is mainly from turning whilst stationary so is nothing to do with banging of coils.

Thank you the reply and help.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi I've got standard shocks with brand new tein springs.

I had another look this morning and it's looking like it's the top mount. Whislt turning the wheel you can see it murder lookingup the shock on the top rubber. I'll buy the part and fit it and also can see then if the top rubber was fitted correctly.

Am I right in thinking that I'll be better buying the bearing plate and not the actual top mount? Noticed they are seperate parts. Aren't expensive so don't mind trying it and seeing if it solves it or not.

Realised that the sleeves are mainly for the coils banging going over bumps, my noise is mainly from turning whilst stationary so is nothing to do with banging of coils.

Thank you the reply and help.
See my build thread where I fitted coil sleeves on the spoon springs as that’s where they are supposed to go and yeah the top mount bearings are very simple and cheap to replace, deffo do them before top mounts and anything else imo mate

Carl

L33LEG

Thank you Carl, I will order the bearing plate and hopefully that cures it. At least whilst I'm fitting them I can see if anything else is wrong or fitted incorrectly.

Thanks again.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Thank you Carl, I will order the bearing plate and hopefully that cures it. At least whilst I'm fitting them I can see if anything else is wrong or fitted incorrectly.

Thanks again.
Agreed mate, I think Tegiwa sold them for about £20(ish) each

hope it sorts it

L33LEG

Yes just over £20, ordered one earlier. Was going to get the full top mount but they're out of stock. Hopefully fixes it so don't need to take it off twice.

Apart from that thoughI absolutely love the DC5 and can't fault it. Will start a project thread soon.