Borrowed an FD2 for an hour :)

2ndy

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Thanks for the feedback, lol
My feedback is limited, I've never drove one, only seen one or two in person, sat in one once, but have one on its way on the boat from Japan through Torque GT 😂

Other than them having stiff suspension, which won't affect mine as it has Modulo suspension, I've never heard or read anything negative about them other than people's opinions on looks which I don't agree with as I think they look great especially standard.

They're alot rarer than dc5s now and holding they're money well so a good example shouldn't lose any money

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
2ndy said:
My feedback is limited, I've never drove one, only seen one or two in person, sat in one once, but have one on its way on the boat from Japan through Torque GT

Other than them having stiff suspension, which won't affect mine as it has Modulo suspension, I've never heard or read anything negative about them other than people's opinions on looks which I don't agree with as I think they look great especially standard.

They're alot rarer than dc5s now and holding they're money well so a good example shouldn't lose any money
Ha ha cheers mate. Bet you can't wait to get it! What colour you gone for?

I too really like the looks, they're a good looking car and the front end is very nice. I think they're quite aggressive looking too. I'm going to have to wait and see whether we get our own house first and make a decision from there.

Really want one now.

2ndy

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Ha ha cheers mate. Bet you can't wait to get it! What colour you gone for?

I too really like the looks, they're a good looking car and the front end is very nice. I think they're quite aggressive looking too. I'm going to have to wait and see whether we get our own house first and make a decision from there.

Really want one now.
Went for the classic white with red interior but a facelift so a little different but that they're really a big change. I do like all colours in them but has to be championship white for me. Really looking forward to getting it yea, Been a long wait but should be worth it.

I'm sort of in the same position as you with getting a house but figured I should lose much money so if needs be I could always sell the car but hopefully not!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
That is beautiful, looks immaculate and a very good example.

CW in the FD2 is a nice colour, I think they look good in Blue as well but CW is nice.

Keep us posted on what it's like once you get it, will be interesting to hear your thoughts!

2ndy

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
That is beautiful, looks immaculate and a very good example.

CW in the FD2 is a nice colour, I think they look good in Blue as well but CW is nice.

Keep us posted on what it's like once you get it, will be interesting to hear your thoughts!
Thanks! Looking forward to getting it detailed and have it ready for next summer

Will do, I'm sure it won't disappoint!

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Hey guys,

Before I go any further yes I've read this thread and multiple threads. I'm doing a lot of reading on FD2's and the FK2 as the Teg will likely be up for sale at some point soon, or when we get a house.

I've private messaged a few owners who've had both the DC5 and the FD2 to guage feedback as at the moment, I'm swaying towards an FD2 as my next car.

My question is around the suspension setup which I believe is very hard but also supposed to be a vast improvement on the DC5, well at the rear with its independent multi-link setup anyway. The front suspension I believe are quite similar but happy to be corrected on this.

I have quite a heavily modified DC5 which I'm just unsure about at the moment. It's a pretty harsh ride which I can tolerate as I don't do lots of miles and I quite like a stiff ride, but what annoys me with it is that it moves around a lot; it seems to follow the contours of the road all the time whether that's the diff or how the car is setup I don't know. I don't want to sell and get an FD2 only to find it feels exactly the same.

The plan with an FD2 is to leave the suspension as OEM apart from change the rear dampers to Koni's but apart from that, it wouldn't be tinkered with. It's either that or spend a bit more money on mine and try and get the handling improved but that is going to be expensive. I've learnt a lot about the car on track this last year and that is the suspension setup definetely needs to be better and is an area for definite improvement. Obviously I've never driven an FD2 but it seems to be a better car, stronger and more stable under speed and braking and out of the box the OEM suspension seems to be a lot better than the DC5.

Can anyone share their thoughts on what they think I should do going forward as it will help me to make a decision on whether to keep the car or not. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi Crazylegs

As you know, I've had both.

FD2 Pros:-

- sharper handling
- rarity factor
- RRC manifold from standard
- Harsh rear suspension can be solved cheaply with £250 Or so Koni rear dampers.

Cons:

- Cost over a DC5 (got to make sense to you personally - only you can judge whether you think the extra cost is acceptable)
- Driving position is higher and not as nice as the teg.
- Other than the dampers, mods are alot more expensive
- price for lesser examples has declined from what I've seen.

Hope this helps
Chris

2ndy

Advanced Member
Pickedine up from Torque GT, unbelievable cars! In my opinion a better car than the dc5 all round. Worth the extra money.

Although I think my dc5 being so heavily modified has made the fd2 seem even better

Mark_teg

Staff member
2ndy said:
Pickedine up from Torque GT, unbelievable cars! In my opinion a better car than the dc5 all round. Worth the extra money.
Although I think my dc5 being so heavily modified has made the fd2 seem even better
Any photos? Mine is SORN for winter, I'm missing driving it :(

2ndy

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
Any photos? Mine is SORN for winter, I'm missing driving it :(
Took some just after collection,

Drove it home 350 miles and it average 41mpg on the motorway! Brilliant at everything!

lewis87

Advanced Member
They are great looking cars, I've never even seen one in the metal before and that rarity makes them even cooler.

2ndy

Advanced Member
lewis87 said:
They are great looking cars, I've never even seen one in the metal before and that rarity makes them even cooler.
They're even better in person, so many little details that most cameras don't pick up.. I'm over the moon with it.

Highly recommend Torque GT also, the whole experience with them has been amazing start to finis

Linus27

Advanced Member
Thread revival but I'm now seriously considering getting an FD2. I'll be keeping my DC5 which is my track toy so it will replace my 2012 Renault Megane 265 Cup which is my daily. The thing is, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the RS Megane. It is super fast, has full leather Recaro seats, has the Cup suspension and brakes, it sounds amazing as it pops and bangs, is white with black wheels so looks amazing, is in mint condition with only 56k on the clock and will be 5 years newer than an FD2. However, the DC5 puts just as big a smile on my face despite being less refined with way less gadgets and being 19 years old. I love the RS Megane, it's an awesome car and there is nothing wrong with it but it's just a bit vanilla. I'm thinking change it for an FD2 which should give me the smiles that the DC5 gives me but is a bit newer and nicer to be as a daily.

Am I mad?

Linus27

Advanced Member
You gotta go FD2 I rekon. More rare, great track car as you like Long sprints .
Hehe hello buddy, nice to see you here. Hope you enjoy my DC5 when you finally get it in a week or two

I have no idea yet what I'm going to get to replace the DC5 as my track car. First choice is to get another Elise but prices are crazy right now. Bought my first Elise in 2006 for £8k and sold it in 2016 for £12k. Now they are between £15k - £18k. Another option is a JDM Subaru Impreza Spec C but they are £16k - £18k. Another option is getting another Megane 265 Cup. Great car, only about £10k but just a bit boring looking, especially after a DC5. An FD2 would be lovely but just a bit too close to the outgoing DC5.

Still, my problem, your're sorted now, you've got my DC5 to look forward to