PO217 Code Showing Help Please…

RaspyNoise

Advanced Member
Hi there I checked with my OBD2 Reader and my car came up with a P0217 code.

My car had low coolant so I drained it all out and put fresh coolant in the green Honda coolant filled it up and waited for it to suck the coolant in (when it sucked up the coolant or just before the coolant got sucked up steam came from the engine area or radiator area and then stopped) and then topped it up again with a pint or more coolant and all was running great I left the car on for 30mins afterwards. Both upper and lower pipes were hot and bleed it correctly. Fan kicks in perfect.

The temperature needle never went above half way.

I am so confused to the steam and PO217 code any help would be great and appreciated.

Thank you :)

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
Not sure on this one tbh!
What I will say though is that when I’ve changed radiators, or coolant before, I’ve always refilled with the front of the car in the air. This ensures that the radiator is the highest part of the engine and encourages air to move forward, up, and eventually out of the rad cap hole.

I usually bring the engine up to temp and watch the fluid level in the radiator drop, top it up and repeat this a good few times until the fluid level overflows. Then, rad cap back on, ensure enough fluid in the overflow, and monitor over the next few journeys.

Steam is likely - if you spilt any coolant on the outside of the radiator or elsewhere you may notice that burning off, coupled with a bit of a smell.

RaspyNoise

Advanced Member
Not sure on this one tbh!
What I will say though is that when I’ve changed radiators, or coolant before, I’ve always refilled with the front of the car in the air. This ensures that the radiator is the highest part of the engine and encourages air to move forward, up, and eventually out of the rad cap hole.

I usually bring the engine up to temp and watch the fluid level in the radiator drop, top it up and repeat this a good few times until the fluid level overflows. Then, rad cap back on, ensure enough fluid in the overflow, and monitor over the next few journeys.

Steam is likely - if you spilt any coolant on the outside of the radiator or elsewhere you may notice that burning off, coupled with a bit of a smell.
Spot on. I forgot that I did spill a bit on the outside of the rad when filling it up. I feel silly now but sometimes it takes someone like you Paul to point out the obvious.

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
Glad you got it sorted.
I’m changing my rad this week so I bet I’ll have the same problems!

RaspyNoise

Advanced Member
How did you resolve the airlock? Open up radiator cap or did it resolve after a drive and top up?

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk
Filled the radiator to the top. Topped the reservoir just below maximum And put the reservoir cap back on.

Left the radiator cap off and started the car left the car running whilst squeezing top and bottom rad hoses now and then.

Fan kicks in and car reaches temperature. Water then goes gulp into the system then top up the radiator to the top and reservoir to full and close the radiator cap and all was good :)

Next day check coolant levels whilst car is cold Make sure all is on the max line.

Thats it