OEM Shocks and Springs

maseratimike7

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get a set of DC5 facelift OEM Shocks and Springs or if it's even possible to still buy new?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

badeshi

Advanced Member
Hi, unsure if you can still buy new or if there is much difference between facelift and prefacelift.
Bilstein do some replacement shocks which you could pair with springs of you don't want coilovers.
Worth keeping eye out for low milage secondhand as they often come up when people swap for coilovers

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

maseratimike7

Hi, unsure if you can still buy new or if there is much difference between facelift and prefacelift.
Bilstein do some replacement shocks which you could pair with springs of you don't want coilovers.
Worth keeping eye out for low milage secondhand as they often come up when people swap for coilovers

Thanks for that, not sure if there is a difference between the facelift or pre, new DC5 owner.

I'll look at the Bilstein, do you know if they will work with standard springs or will I need washers or anything?

Thanks!

badeshi

Advanced Member
Sorry I am unsure regarding standard springs...

You will prob need ep3 kit which needs a couple of washers on rear shocks to attach lower bolt. Very easy to do and not a compromise or anything.

I just had a quick look at some bilstein kits and some come with springs but you would need rear top mounts etc. I forgot exactly as I did ages ago but found most parts on eBay and at Cox.

I am currently running bilstein b14 on mine which are pretty good on UK roads. Only niggle I have is that I read they should have a service after certain time/miles which is inconvenient for a daily driver

carl hammond

Advanced Member
The rears are the same on the DC5's PFL and FL, the front dampers and springs are different as they mirror each other.

You can however fit a complete set of PFL, FL or EP3 dampers and springs to any DC5

Second hand is your best option now I am afraid, however you could get some Bilstein dampers and put the springs on them if you struggle to source a set

maseratimike7

Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep an eye on the used market for a OEM set, failing that I'll get Bilstein.

badman9

Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep an eye on the used market for a OEM set, failing that I'll get Bilstein.

How did this go Mike? Managed to find the original suspension?

I was in your situation and eventually got a set of facelift suspension to go on my pre-facelift

it needed new rear struts so i got the KYB AGX from the EP3 for the rears. The front OEM struts supposedly checked out as good, I really really hope they actually are. If not, I may have to rebuild them since they are quite hard to find now

maseratimike7

How did this go Mike? Managed to find the original suspension?

I was in your situation and eventually got a set of facelift suspension to go on my pre-facelift

it needed new rear struts so i got the KYB AGX from the EP3 for the rears. The front OEM struts supposedly checked out as good, I really really hope they actually are. If not, I may have to rebuild them since they are quite hard to find now
I am still looking for options at the moment as couldn't find a good enough set of facelift OEM struts for sale.

Let me know how the set up goes with the EP3 shocks as this might be an option to rebuild mine.

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

badman9

EP3 Rear struts are supposed to be very easy, just need washers for the bottom bolt.

It SHOULD have been an easy set up for me but Tirerack shipped one incorrect strut (from a MX-5!) and I had to wait to get that corrected. No fun when you already paid import tax/duties to bring in the wrong thing.

Just waiting on some OEM honda coil spring isolators to come in to hopefully keep them quiet, and then i'll swap them on.

Still worried about the quality of the used front's though, but honestly lowering and coilovers doesn't work for me here in Jamaica. The roads are too bad in most places to be dropped down low

maseratimike7

EP3 Rear struts are supposed to be very easy, just need washers for the bottom bolt.

It SHOULD have been an easy set up for me but Tirerack shipped one incorrect strut (from a MX-5!) and I had to wait to get that corrected. No fun when you already paid import tax/duties to bring in the wrong thing.

Just waiting on some OEM honda coil spring isolators to come in to hopefully keep them quiet, and then i'll swap them on.

Still worried about the quality of the used front's though, but honestly lowering and coilovers doesn't work for me here in Jamaica. The roads are too bad in most places to be dropped down low
Sounds like a nightmare getting sent the wrong part.

I am in the same boat regarding coilovers as the roads are rubbish here so the OEM set up will do me.

Used units are always a risk as you cannot even rely on honest answers about the amount of KMS they have covered etc.

I'll probably try the EP3 route or Bilstein shocks rather than coil overs.

Cheers

badman9

Sounds like a nightmare getting sent the wrong part.

I am in the same boat regarding coilovers as the roads are rubbish here so the OEM set up will do me.

Used units are always a risk as you cannot even rely on honest answers about the amount of KMS they have covered etc.

I'll probably try the EP3 route or Bilstein shocks rather than coil overs.

Cheers

Yep, re the wrong part drama set back my project for about 6 weeks. Between trying to file the claim, get it investigated, and then shipping the correct part to Jamaica. Cost me a bit of money too, because now i have one KYB AGX for a Miata/MX5 that i paid money to bring to Jamaica and have no use for.

I agree buying used is a challenge for sure, but i couldn't figure out any way to get back to stock ride height, which would be needed if I planned to daily/semi daily the DC5R. I will do some measurements before and after about the ride height (centre cap to fender, door sill to ground, front bumper lip to ground etc) just to see how much difference moving back to OEM will make.

I actually got my suspension from a facelift (mine is pre-facelift) but it is generally agreed that the facelift with the reverse coil-winding is better, controls bump steer better etc. Going to try with the used OEM front struts but the back ones were definitely completely shot, hence the KYB AGX.

Honda isolators came in yesterday though, will run it around the tightest coils to hopefully prevent clunking at full bind.

Let's hope 4 of em is enough cause I don't have time or energy to buy more.

Hoping my mechanic is free this weekend to complete the swap because I don't have coil spring compressor/clamps at home so I'll need to do the job at his shop.

Let'sWhatsApp Image 2022-05-12 at 2.00.52 PM.jpeg

badman9

Hi everyone,

Just to follow up, I managed to get everything swapped over, and now I have an actual driveable vehicle.

Running used OEM facelift springs front and rear, used facelift struts up front , new kyb agx ep3 struts in the rear.
While we were doing the suspension work realised I needed new steering endlinks, got those locally thankfully in 555 brand, also needed new strut bump stops. Strut mounts were shot too, but we had some decent condition used ones thankfully, but i'll have to change eventually.

Ride height and ride quality are SO MUCH BETTER now than the cheap coilovers it came with. Now that I got it aligned it finally corners like a type-r. I'm currently running factory alignment but i may eventually dial in just a little negative camber to help turn-in but that is something for later on.

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-14 at 2.03.50 PM.jpeg