Do I keep it?

• Keep and repair

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Go to court ‍⚖️

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Arezzy

Hello other dc5 owners,

I bought a genuine rsx type s a couple months ago for $5k that had some paint issues, a dent on the hood, and at our first test drive it just felt like it needed a simple alignment. However, after it got taken to a mechanic shortly after we had registered it and got plates, I was told that the car that I had bought for $5k now needed $5k in JUST parts! For this being my first car I was devastated. My mechanic thinks that I should go to small claims court to get my money back for it but I’m really attached to it. It really only needs suspension and exhaust which I had planned on doing anyway but I have a few pictures to see what you guys think.

Attachments

Last edited:

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
Hello!
You might need to give some more details, from your post and images I’m not sure I can see what would make up the $5k’s worth of suspension parts..
(Unless I’m missing something!)
Can you elaborate on what parts you’ve been quoted for and why they’re said to be needed?

A lot of us on here are UK-based, but I’m sure we can help with advice :)

Arezzy

Hello!
You might need to give some more details, from your post and images I’m not sure I can see what would make up the $5k’s worth of suspension parts..
(Unless I’m missing something!)
Can you elaborate on what parts you’ve been quoted for and why they’re said to be needed?

A lot of us on here are UK-based, but I’m sure we can help with advice :)
Thank you so much for responding, man! And I have a list from the mechanic of what he saw was wrong with it.

Attachments

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
Ok, so a number of those bits are consumables, eg Tyres. Sounds like you need at least 2 replacements along with your spare. Those, if they are bad as suggested, just need to be replaced. You can easily inspect them yourself for low tread, cuts or damage.

You absolutely can argue those with the garage you purchased from too - no way should a car be allowed to be sold if the tyres are bad.

For the suspension, they are “rejecting” all 4 corners of the car. Now I’m not sure what the laws are like where you are, but there is, in my opinion, no way that all 4 would be damaged or broken at once. Looking at your photos they look like aftermarket coilovers - black with purple hardware. I’m not sure what brand this would be, but is it possible the garage just don’t like modifications or perhaps the law where you are doesn't allow them to be fitted?

There are a few comments about “bumper height” which to me implies the car is lowered. This ties in with coilovers, and again I see no reason this is rejected other than perhaps a local law. Easily fixable by adjusting the coilovers to a higher setting.

The exhaust sounds like it’s either rusted through or falling off given their description. Does it sound loud? Does it leak? The garage are suggesting both, but a replacement system shouldn’t cost too much. Certainly in the UK you could replace with aftermarket / stainless system for not a huge cost.

If I were you I’d be asking why those parts are rejected. Get a fault description with each so you know how bad it is. It doesn’t “look” bad to me from the photos but maybe someone else will spot something, or maybe it’s a legal requirement they’re rejecting on.

Just my comments and thoughts!

Arezzy

Got it, I appreciate your feedback so much and I really appreciate it. I’m gonna see if I can take it to a different mechanic and get some other opinions on it and move foreword from there. I’ll let you know if I keep it!

badman9

Got it, I appreciate your feedback so much and I really appreciate it. I’m gonna see if I can take it to a different mechanic and get some other opinions on it and move foreword from there. I’ll let you know if I keep it!
Any update on this? Curious how it worked out for you

Arezzy

Any update on this? Curious how it worked out for you
Not much has happened really. It’s just sitting there at my mechanic. He’s told me to buy Monroe quick strut assemblies as they are cheap and don’t require as much work as putting together a full strut assembly. They told me that once I get that installed it’ll be a good PinPoint to assess where all the excessive play is coming from? Things are really weird with them and I don’t know if this is just a normal mechanic thing or if I should go somewhere separate. I really just want to get this car to pass inspection and then go for cosmetic mods so I think the Monroe’s will be good as it brings the car to stock ride height. If you guys have any other advise for me anything is appreciated.

Arezzy

Not much has happened really. It’s just sitting there at my mechanic. He’s told me to buy Monroe quick strut assemblies as they are cheap and don’t require as much work as putting together a full strut assembly. They told me that once I get that installed it’ll be a good PinPoint to assess where all the excessive play is coming from? Things are really weird with them and I don’t know if this is just a normal mechanic thing or if I should go somewhere separate. I really just want to get this car to pass inspection and then go for cosmetic mods so I think the Monroe’s will be good as it brings the car to stock ride height. If you guys have any other advise for me anything is appreciated.
I’ve also bought a magnaflow cat and an invidia q300 which needs to be installed