06 Dc5 track build

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Here's my first race
Looks good mate, I'd recommend setting up your camera further back so you can study your hand movements post race. I'd also recommend using something like RaceChrono to collect some basic data to look at.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

stu69er

Looks good mate, I'd recommend setting up your camera further back so you can study your hand movements post race. I'd also recommend using something like RaceChrono to collect some basic data to look at.

Is that a feature for a gopro camera?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Is that a feature for a gopro camera?
It runs on your phone as a lap timer/data logger.

I use an external 10hz GPS for timing accuracy, then connect my phone to my ECU over OBD and you can log RPM's and throttle position.

Here's what it looks like when you overlay the data to the video...

SamDC5

Advanced Member
So u using hondata to do this then bud
My ECU is Hondata KPro V4 but it doesn't have to be. If you buy one of those Bluetooth OBD connectors from Amazon it will do the exact same thing. The app just needs to talk on the OBD line.

stu69er

Ah OK bud I'm getting kpro over the winter and poss get the K24 in too all being well. Expensive hobby. What sort of suspension do u use in that car.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Ah OK bud I'm getting kpro over the winter and poss get the K24 in too all being well. Expensive hobby. What sort of suspension do u use in that car.
Sounds good, the K24 will give you a lot more torque. I'm contemplating doing the same thing and going K24.

Haha, it is! I'm running the Yellowspeeds with 8KG front and 16KG rear spring rates mate.

rsmithinfo

Advanced Member
It runs on your phone as a lap timer/data logger.

I use an external 10hz GPS for timing accuracy, then connect my phone to my ECU over OBD and you can log RPM's and throttle position.

Here's what it looks like when you overlay the data to the video...

I found this very interesting especially as at Oulton! You get info 5th a lot compared to my first track day.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I found this very interesting especially as at Oulton! You get info 5th a lot compared to my first track day.
It's very easy to setup, paired with the video it gives you a chance to look back and see where you can improve.

JustinEET

Advanced Member
Where I am, everyone swaps a k24 as soon as they get a DC5. I decided to be a little different and see what I could do with the K20. I have come to find that unless you put the K20 head on the K24; its not worth it in my opinion. I have been able to go head to head in acceleration with K24 swaps and usually I pull on them up top once 3rd gear winds out. The downfall of the K24 is that it stops making power over 7300-7500rpms. So revving them to 8k is just keeping the revs up high for the next shift at that point. Even when you swap in the 50 VTC gear and DC5 oil pump. You may get more power with more degree of Cam angles to tune from and safer revving without cavitation, but still limited below 7500 rpms.

stu69er

Quick question guys, racing again this Sat. Can I adjust these yellow spring coilovers on the spring to make the rear firmer for now. Like can I tighten the spring another 4-6mm. Talking to a few locals and I need the 16kg springs in the rear, don't have them yet thou. Any advise pros and cons etc

stu69er

The car has very little travel as is in the suspension just this annoying bunny hopping on cornering.

JustinEET

Advanced Member
Quick question guys, racing again this Sat. Can I adjust these yellow spring coilovers on the spring to make the rear firmer for now. Like can I tighten the spring another 4-6mm. Talking to a few locals and I need the 16kg springs in the rear, don't have them yet thou. Any advise pros and cons etc
Unfortunately adjusting the spring perch won't change the spring rate. It will just effect the preload of the spring and lower your car more in the rear and decrease piston travel. I think twin tube is better when lowering via preload since they have longer stroke since theres no gas chamber at the bottom of the shock. The same amount of force will compress the spring the same mm distance. If you have any spacers or sway bars. Those are other quick alternatives to increase roll stiffness but of course they also change other factors as well. Like an increase ackerman angle or more upward lift on the inside tire.

That's my opinion. Someone else here might know more.

stu69er

So if the coil over has both preload adjustments and spring tension, adjusting the spring compression tighter won't affect the stiffness. I had it in my head that it would as I'm compressing the spring more?

JustinEET

Advanced Member
So if the coil over has both preload adjustments and spring tension, adjusting the spring compression tighter won't affect the stiffness. I had it in my head that it would as I'm compressing the spring more?
No, unless you have a progressive spring. Which most guys who want to track I don't see using progressive springs(maybe a helper spring) but I don't think yellow speed does that with macpherson suspensions. But with a linear spring the force to compress it a certain distance always remains the same. Think of the spring perch as a force adjuster. You are choosing how much force to apply to the spring. But you haven't changed the linear rate of the spring. So lets say hypothetically we have a 30cm spring that compresses 4cm for every 1 N of force. Let's preload our spring with 3N of force; we just compressed it by 12cm. Now lets introduce a wheel and a car to it. Our wheel runs over something that pushes our wheel upwards with another 1N of force. The spring still gets compressed again by 4cm even though our spring has been compressed by 12cm by its perch. Spring rate never changed.

stu69er

OK that makes sense cheers. I moved the arb up n to last notch and will also set the dampener up full I'll let you know how it goes.

JustinEET

Advanced Member
OK that makes sense cheers. I moved the arb up n to last notch and will also set the dampener up full I'll let you know how it goes.
Alright, good luck to you.
I can't wait to get out there myself, but I have to practice patience right now.
Still waiting for Yellow Speed to send my coilovers.

JustinEET

Advanced Member
Where will u be racing
I live over in the states by a track known as COTA(Circuit of The Americas). Right now I'm just going to do time competitions with my DC5 until I feel like I'm ready to go into wheel to wheel.

stu69er

The buzz to get out is great lol. My cars pretty must standard underpowered alor compared to most but first year out and first build etc. 270-300 bhp would be nice