1st Gear Noise when cold

rs-typeR

I need some help on this please guys, when the car is cold and I go to set off in 1st as I release the clutch there is a slight squeal. This squeal only happens when moving off and will do the same when trying to start off in 2nd (that was only a test), after initial couple of miles the 1st gear squeal goes completely. I have spoken to Paul at System R asking if this was the clutches thrust bearing and he seemed to think it was probably the LSD and not to worry too much about it.

I just want to know if anyone suffers/suffered the same and found the cause?

It’s difficult to describe noises to other people but it sound like to surfaces grinding as if it was the thrust bearing, but Paul says if that was the case it would happen cold or warm.

Rich.

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
Sounds similar to the clutch judder Subaru used to suffer from, when you lift off the clutch when the engine is you get a juddering squeal.

IIRC this was to do with the clutch release bearing.

gonzo

Advanced Member
It's just a "feature" of the car!

Happens on quite a few tgs and goes away once warmed up!

rs-typeR

Thanks guys, it's reassuring this is happening on other Tegs because if it caused bigger problems down the line you would of said.

cheers

T666YPR

If it's the little squeal when holding the biting point of the clutch then increasing revs to release clutch to pull off...

...then it's one we all get.

AFAIK and am told,it IS the clutch release bearing.

mikegsi

Staff member
i get this sometimes, and my ctr did exactly the same, which is why ive never been bothered by it! :D