2014 EVO Max Performance Tyre Test

masterjedijay

Advanced Member
Ok... I had read all the reviews on here and chatted to car owners at Japfests and I was already to replace my 4 tyres. I had decided on either the Bridgestone RE70 or Goodyear Eagle F1 and then I read the latest EVO tyre test in the magazine! Web link http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-EVO-Max-Performance-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Top tyre by a long margin was the Continental Sport Contact 5 though the Goodyear was 3rd and the Bridgestone was last in the test (not RE70 though). Tyres tested were the 225/45 R17.

Now I am not sure what to do? Has anyone tried the Continentals?

The article does say "it is however worth noting, subjective handling isn't just down to the tyre - it's how the car works with the tyre, the tyre size on test, and what that particular writer values while driving".

I know tyres has been done to death as a topic but would be interested on any views.

Thanks

Jonathan

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
The Conti SportContact5 is without one of the best tyres on sale, I think you will find anyone who will argue with that.

The Bridgestone RE070 will probably never be flagged in a tyre test as I wouldn't classify it as a normal road tyre, it is definitely more semi slick based available in a limited range of sizes and is made to perform in the dry - its wet weather performance, while not terrible (in my opinion avoid standing water and you will be impressed) is never going to match a top end road tyre like the SC5 and AS2's.

As for the Goodyear, it is a proven good tyre, and I'm not sure as I can't check at the moment but I think it could be cheaper than the SC5, bearing in mind we want the XL rated ones on our cars for the stiffer side wall.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Not a fan of the AS2's and I have them on mine but I don't have an FRSU and members with both have said they're an excellent combo. I just feel as the car is slidy with the Goodyear's on.

RE070 is a pretty tyre but as above I'd be weary of wet weather performance but then again I've never had them. Do like the look of them though, very racing car in terms of looks as they're almost a semi-slick in a way.

Have you not thought about Yokohama Advan Neova's as an alternative to the contis?

integraleo

Advanced Member
Re070s have no issues in the wet that I've experienced to be honest. Pure grip they will out perform all the tyres you listed above. I've maintained high speeds in the wet with zero issues,the other tyres you list will be quieter but in the dry (which should be the only time you drive it to its limit) the re070 grip will amaze you. Much higher than the as2s I replaced which is similar to the continentals. Also so far I've done 7000 miles on them and fronts still have half tread left

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
My re070's are getting slippy on the road now, winter wheels with assy2 going back on the car on friday

Matt-r8

I'm over in Cyprus, and having only had my DC-5 a couple of weeks, it's time to change from the cheap Chinese shit that is currently fitted.
The tyres available are Conti SC5 at €125 a corner or Bridgestone RE070 at €140 a corner.
Which do you guys recommend?
Thanks.

Rich3248

Advanced Member
Should I just get F1's for the wet winter weather? I need 215/45/17's. Are they available in that size?

beppe786

Beppe
i am a big re070 fan wet there good if they have good thread.. my new car from japan came with ad08 these are even better but are more pricey

integraleo

Advanced Member
Re070 best tyre by far for the money if u want grip,feedback and confidence. Eagle f1s are very good don't get me wrong but out and out grip the re070s are far superior. For the winter they are both summer tyres so won't be brilliant but when roads are icy/wet/slippy it's daft to push on like that.

Rich3248

Advanced Member
integraleo said:
Re070 best tyre by far for the money if u want grip,feedback and confidence. Eagle f1s are very good don't get me wrong but out and out grip the re070s are far superior. For the winter they are both summer tyres so won't be brilliant but when roads are icy/wet/slippy it's daft to push on like that.
Which is better for the wet? I need to order front tyres soon

scrawnban

I use Dunlop sportmaxx....they are absolutely awesome in the wet...about €150 a corner for the kevlar walled ones.

integraleo

Advanced Member
TypeRich said:
Which is better for the wet? I need to order front tyres soon
The difference between them isn't noticeable in day to day driving.in a test situation the f1s would probably win in braking tests and stability in the wet but I promise you unless you intend to race in the wet you will not notice the difference. I loved the f1s when I had a set and thought they were perfect....until I tried re070s which blew them out the water in terms of grip and feedback

Rich3248

Advanced Member
I cant get re070s in 215/45/17 only in 225/45/17

Would it be bad to put on 225's at the front while running 215's at the rear?

Im totally lost when it comes to tyres to be honest

Rich3248

Advanced Member
All these tyre ratings throw me off! Wet grip, Fuel Efficiency etc...

225/45/17 --- Re070s
(Fuel Eff.: F Wet Grip: C NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 70dB)

215/45/17 --- F1's
(Fuel Eff.: E Wet Grip: A NoiseClass: 1 Noise: 69dB)

By that comparison you would think the F1's are considerable better for roughly the same price?

El_Boomo

Advanced Member
TypeRich said:
All these tyre ratings throw me off! Wet grip, Fuel Efficiency etc...

225/45/17 --- Re070s
(Fuel Eff.: F Wet Grip: C NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 70dB)

215/45/17 --- F1's
(Fuel Eff.: E Wet Grip: A NoiseClass: 1 Noise: 69dB)

By that comparison you would think the F1's are considerable better for roughly the same price?
Only in the wet from that. Those numbers tell you nothing about the characteristics of a tyre. No feedback, dry grip, etc.

integraleo

Advanced Member
Like I said you will only notice wet grip differences if you are driving overly spirited for the conditions shall we say or if you were measuring braking distance on an emergency stop! If you race in the wet then sure go for the f1s they are a very good tyre....if you enjoy great turn in feel,unbelievable grip and a rock steady tyre in the dry go for re070