225 on standard rims

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
I had 215's on my car when I imported them but they were horrendous in the rain so when I got PS4's with 225's I didn't have a great comparison.

I haven't noticed any difference in the speedo. Handling wise in the dry - the steering might be a little bit heavier but I had a major fluids service done around the same time so I didn't notice much difference with power steering fluid changed too.

225's are cheaper and more available. I would be interested to see if anyone has noticed anything noticeable. Personally I didn't. More compound of tyre so more grip is my conclusion.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Lemons

Advanced Member
I bought four 215 PS4's earlier this year and they are absolutely excellent.

I avoided 225 due to the possibility of, slight, increase in torque steer from more tyre on the road. Less weight too. I will admit I am a bit fussy, and I have no first hand knowledge to compare.

You will probably be fine either way.

James-T

Advanced Member
Literally just had Eagle F1 225's fitted to my OE wheels :

Had 225s fitted before and didnt really notice any down sides.

Ep3-r

I fitted 225 RE070 's onto pro race wheels which are 7j and a 45 offset. On a smooth decent road surface the car behaves perfectly, but on uneven bad surfaces it does tend to follow the camber of the road under hard acceleration. It's not too bad but it is noticeable,I think it's down to a combination of lower offset on the wheels, wider tyres and the diff working. I haven't noticed any difference in speedo readings.

Lemons

Advanced Member
I fitted 225 RE070 's onto pro race wheels which are 7j and a 45 offset. On a smooth decent road surface the car behaves perfectly, but on uneven bad surfaces it does tend to follow the camber of the road under hard acceleration. It's not too bad but it is noticeable,I think it's down to a combination of lower offset on the wheels, wider tyres and the diff working. I haven't noticed any difference in speedo readings.
Thanks for your comment, this backs up what I had read. A lot of my driving is on poor ish B roads and I don't think wider tyres would help me. On track I am sure the extra grip would be great.

This is why they say, try to work out what you want from the car before you make any changes. Build a set up around where you spend most of your time.

I probably should have bought an impreza (jokes).

carl hammond

Advanced Member
A 7j wheel can run 225 at its max.

The oem DC5 wheels are perfectly fine with 215/45/17 as stock but 225/45/17 actually imo works better. Been using 225/45/17 on my track wheels for 3.5yrs now with no issues. Search on here and you can find an image of the tyre to wheel fitting (sure its on here) but in short you’ll have no issues and notice nothing bad runninG 225/45/17 tyres on the DC5 (they look better imo) Here are some results and a link also to help you

I’ve also added a pic of each of my wheel setups So you can see how they look vs one another on oem rims

White wheel is running 215/45/17
Black is running 225/45/17

Attachments

Linus27

Advanced Member
Carl, as usual you have given me the answer to a question I had. In fact I was going to message you to ask if you run 225/45/17 on track knowing you use OEM wheels.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Thought I'd report back after having fitted the pilot 4s as a 225 fitment on oem wheels. I've run the car for around 500 miles now and am highly impressed . I've had them on good dual carriageway and on uneven A road twisties. They're spot on in both the dry and Scottish heavy rain, nice and quiet too lovely safe and planted feel to them. Didn't have any tramlining at all... Was running on 30psi all round. Thanks to everyone who's inputted to my orginaL question, great help as always. David

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
... Just another update.. me and my Son,he has an FD2, went out for a "spirited drive" from our homes near Sunderland up to Hartside near Alston on top of the Pennines on Sunday and had the most amazing drive. The roads were nicely quiet and dry all the way but the best thing for me was the handling of my Teg.. It was phenomenal! The tyres that you guys recommended are amazing, probably the best upgrade I've done since I bought my car... thank you yet again for your help and advice and for helping provide one of the best driving experiences I've had in my car, David.

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
... Just another update.. me and my Son,he has an FD2, went out for a "spirited drive" from our homes near Sunderland up to Hartside near Alston on top of the Pennines on Sunday and had the most amazing drive. The roads were nicely quiet and dry all the way but the best thing for me was the handling of my Teg.. It was phenomenal! The tyres that you guys recommended are amazing, probably the best upgrade I've done since I bought my car... thank you yet again for your help and advice and for helping provide one of the best driving experiences I've had in my car, David.
FD2 and DC5 spirited drive sounds like good fun to me! PS4's are an excellent road tyre. You'll always get someone knocking them back but they're a great all round tyre as you've experienced. Glad to see the 225's have worked well.

Lemons

Advanced Member
Bit off topic. Have you owned your teg since new?

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Our cars... Yes Lemons, I've had it 15 years this September, it was and ex demonstrator from a Japanese Honda garage with 2440km when I got it.