2nd Gear Synchro

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
I am finding 2nd gear quite difficult to engage, and a even a bit notchy :( especially when the engine/gearbox is cold. 3rd to 6th is very slick, no trouble or notchyness at all.

I am not sure wether this is normal, and have wondered wether it is because of the triple cone Synchro, or wether I need to exercise my warranty to get a new one fitted!! :wink: I am considering getting my gearbox oil changed first to see if that alleviates the problem.

Any input would be mucho appreciated.

Rob-DC2

Advanced Member
yeh always when cold in morning mines tricky to get into 2nd smooth, can feel it catch just as it goes in.

Gets better after warmed up abit.

Rob

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
That makes me feel a bit better. :D
Must admit, it can make u look like a bit of a Learner driver 1st thing in the morning as the 1st -2nd shift onto the roundabout isn't as quick as you'd like!! :oops:

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Agree, first to second on start up is notchy on all new Type-R's (DC5 and EP3). Just let it get warm, then its ok.

I tend on start up in the morning to pull away in second anyway :!:

Mike

Basher

Just for the record

Mine is the same.

I was a tad worried about it too so nice to hear they're all like that.

Mine is 4k and less that 1 year old

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Yeah mine is the same .. even took it to a garage thinking there was a problem when I first got the car.. Sounds crap ... you try to engage and you hear cluck.. and I am sure people can hear it out side the car so it sounds like you are grining your gears... Learner driver they must think :roll:

I always warm my car up for at least 5-10mins now before going anywhere... nice and smooth then :D

Kev

If I ever miss a gear its second< synchromeshes on hondas have always worn due to high reving vtec. My brothers ctr has 23kmiles on it and synchro is starting to go from 3rd to 4rth. All my crx's had worn synchromeshes. The thing is its too expensive too fix-may as well replace whole gearbox!!!

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi Guy,

Haven´t posted for a while, but I know this one. I had my DC5 from new and had the same problem when the box is cold. I thought it was me, but after 14k miles the problem went away. Done 28K now and each change is smooth.

Cheers,

Jonster

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
I was blissfully ignorant of this until this thread was posted, now every bl00dy time I hit 2nd gear I hear the clunk and cringe! :oops:

I've also got a bit of a rattle that occurs when backing off and coasting through 4K rpm - sounds very tinny, as if its something is rattling against the exhaust heat shield at the back..... Maybe it is - Has anybody else heard anything like this?

T666YPR

S J , sounds just like what happened to my S2000(the tinny rattling noise-always on a trailing throttle in 1,2,&3).Bad news is the gear box had to be changed ( luckily under warranty) However, I cant say whether it was changed as a precaution or if it was definitely f**ked.Car was only 7 months old. :(

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
Oh FFS! :roll: If its not one thing its another! Mind you, car was serviced a few months ago and still has more than 2 years hondacare warranty on it :) Guess they should find this out at the next service and fix it if appropriate. It doesn't sound like the gearbox, indeed - it doesn't even sound like its coming from that area hence why I say exhaust heat shield.

oh well..........

Basher

Noises

Two things to remember here guys...

1. Its a car
2. It's an Integra

Firstly all cars have a habit of making strange noises. Some just go away over time, other don't change. The only ones to worry about are the ones that get worse. My last car was an Mr2 and it had noises when I bought it. Most notable was the knocking from the suspension when cold. My local pathetic Toyota dealer told me that it was a worn out suspension strut that needed replacing but the excellent Culvers of Macclesfield told me that it was just the top of the suspesion banging against it's housing and that I should just live with it. Then he gave me the advice above, in fact his words were "If it gets worse fix it, otherwise turn the stereo up if it bothers you".

Second point is that this car was not made to be quiet. If thats what you want then get a jag, bmw or merc. I think the noises are great. They let me know what the car is doing. I have been in a real rally car. No sound insulation at all. Could hardly converse with the guy driving it, even when shouting. Had to sit on a box on the floor cos there was no passenger seat. Its was quick and scary and he used the same car to go to work - sideways usually. That was 15 years ago - wouldn't get away with it these days. Probably not even legal to park on a street.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts with you.

Tell you what is wierd. The way the clutch engages. It's a bit like a motorbike clutch. Anyone know why this is? It's kind of loose feeling til it engages. Even letting it out slowly results in a feeling like you've just dumped it just to the point of biting then not gone any further. Same on two DC5's I've driven so it is normal but why is it like this? Any technical answers appreciated.

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Hmmm, this is interesting :? I have had both these 'faults' since ownership.

Agree with earlier posts about 2nd gear. Notchy when cold, unnoticeable when warm. Never considered it a problem and not going to start now :evil:

Rich, mine rattles and buzzes like mad when sat between four and fourfive revs. Sounds like the fascia is falling apart. Not noticeable when driving through band - My solution has been to keep foot down or change gear :wink:

Last caller is a bit strong - we all listen for every clunk or rattle, hoping to hear nothing but sweet music. Only every now and then do we get paranoid about it... it's only natural :D

Caroline

Mine had that problem with going into second. I'm glad its not just me and I can finally show this thread to my boyfriend who thought it was hilarious that I owned an ITR and could even change gear properly :x

Haven't noticed it recently but that could be for one of two reasons:
1. its got 28000km on the clock now and its just "warmed up" with more use.

2. I got a clifford alarm with engine start and never drive the car when its cold anymore.

Mines done 28000 miles and I decided to change the gearbox oil, except when very cold the change to second is now smoth. Honda changed the oil, its full synthetic in the gearbox, cost £15 for the oil (1.8 lts) + 10 min for labour
Martin

Petrolhead

Just to put all your minds at rest, currently owning a CTR i have spent the past couple of years on the CTR web site etc. And the 2nd crunchyness when cold is a characteristic of the gearbox but is othing to worry about. Mine does it, and is especialy tough when a frosty morning.

Many people have had them checked out by Honda and its absolutely nothing to worry about. Its just a characteristic of the 6 speed box :wink:

T666YPR

SJ_Skyline said:
I've also got a bit of a rattle that occurs when backing off and coasting through 4K rpm - sounds very tinny, as if its something is rattling against the exhaust heat shield at the back..... Maybe it is - Has anybody else heard anything like this?
Oh Oh,seems I've got the same.I only picked up my DC5 yesterday and can now say that the noise I had with the S2000 wasn't like this.Noise with S2k was akin to a large washer jangling on a metal rod.The noise on trailing throttle with my DC5 sounds like the rubbing of sand covered stones in a bag :shock: (as near as d@mn)Seems like this is "common" so if no-ones had a warranty claim yet...maybe it's just something to live with-but it doesn't seem right! :?

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
I noticed that noise on my way to Heathrow last night, again - 4K rpm, same tinny noise didn't really matter which gear I was in (or even neutral) mind you I didn't get out of 2nd gear most of the way :roll:

I figure as someone else posted - ifg the noise doesn't change and doesn't get louder then there is probably nothing wrong and it is just a feature of the car. :)