350 miles per week too many??

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Hi all,

After completing college, I am now driving 350 miles a week too and from work.

The teg' is about to tick onto 71k miles and im getting roughly 38mpg on my way to work - costing me around £55 per week to fuel.

Do many other members on here cover this sort of distance, and have many problems occurred since doing this commute?

I have also been considering getting a longer 6th gear installed with a remap but this doesn't compensate for the high milage. However with this setup what kind of mpg would I likely achieve?

I don't know whether to keep and still commute, sell and buy a nice diesel, or buy a cheap rundown diesel for commuting?
I cant justify keeping the integra though if I do buy a commuting diesel as I don't do many other miles apart from getting to work.
I do really love this car though but it is a shame to put over 1000 miles on it per month...

Can anyone relate to this?

Thanks,
Carl.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
This has been asked loads of times Carl. It always comes down to how much you like the car.

If it's a stepping stone on to something else then adding too much mileage will effect the resale value a little but if like me you enjoy driving the car daily and there's nothing else you'd swap it with (this side of 911 territory) then it doesn't really matter.

I'm not bothered by mileage anymore. Drive it and enjoy it if you're happy with it!

Rom

Advanced Member
As David says really.
Its not going to do any serious harm.

It will wear components out a bit quicker, but look after it, and it will be fine.

Resale is going to be where it hurts most. A couple of years and your looking the higher end of the mileage most people will be buying.

Before you make any decisions, id look into buying a cheap commuter. Work out how much a year it would cost to have 2 cars, and how this compares to running the teg alone.
But, assuming were talking cheap ass car, like 306 Hdi or something, its only going to get 50-55 mpg most likely.

MaxJ

Advanced Member
I used to do exactly 350 miles a week in my EP3. It was a Premier Edition and was very low mileage. I bought a Polo SDI as a second car and drove the Civic at the weekend and in the evening. After about a year of doing this I sold both cars and bought a diesel Alfa Romeo as a compromise.

As things went I moved closer to work about 3 months later, sold the Alfa and bought a DC5. If I were to be relocated to my previous address I would not do the same again. The money you save in fuel running a diesel is smashed by the cost of running two cars, especially if you buy an older car that will require work doing for MOT's etc.

My advice would be to either sell and buy a replacement, or keep it. I wish I had just kept the Civic. It probably kept £500 max of the value by not running it, and there's nothing like driving a car you love.

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Yea if I purchased a diesel and it was relatively old, then I would imagine a fair bit of maintenance would be required over the coming months which would then prove not to be worth replacing the teg' for a shabby diesel if I have only saved a few hundred of the teg's price tag.

Eventually, I would like to buy a GTR - if I ever get sick of the teg' - and have a nice diesel commuter. However this is not for a few years yet.

As opposed to getting shabby diesel, I have considered getting a motorbike, for some of the dryer days, which would of course lower the overall mileage on the teg'.

In a couple of years me and the missus are hoping to get our own house, moving a little closer to work could be an option and for now I could just deal with higher mileage and fuel costs - if I don't get a bike. However, this affects how much I can save as fuel is likely to increase resulting in me having to pay nearer to £70 per week?

Hmmmm decisions...

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
does it cost much extra in regards to insurance, maintenance ect? Ive got 5 years NCB and with sky insurance atm but havnt checked prices for adding a second car onto the policy.

How many miles do you drive to work?

integraleo

Advanced Member
My 2001 teg with 108k on it with all its mods is worth around 7-7500 tops. Same car with 60k...maybe 8k??? I don't care about milage any more just condition

dc55_11

Advanced Member
I do roughly 300 miles every week and I am not bothered about it, like it was said earlier nothing beats the fact that you are driving the car you love everyday. Also these cars are super reliable so as long as your maintaining everything then you will be fine!

bennn

Advanced Member
carlos7777777 said:
does it cost much extra in regards to insurance, maintenance ect? Ive got 5 years NCB and with sky insurance atm but havnt checked prices for adding a second car onto the policy.

How many miles do you drive to work?
I pay £750 to insure both cars (£500 for the teg and £250 for the 306)

Both cars cost me £225 each a year to tax.

I've had the 306 about a year and in that time its probably cost me about £200 in repairs as I maintain it myself (1 rear brake caliper, rear discs and pads and a back box)

Things like brakes and tyres don't really come into it as obviously you won't be replacing them on your teg as often (and tyres & brakes for the 306 are a hell of a lot cheaper!)

Unsure what the MPG is but a full tank (about £70 - £75) usually does me 650 miles, I once got 700 with a fair bit of motorway driving.

I probably only do about 12k - 13k a year in the 306 and about 3k in the teg so financially I probably don't do the mileage to mean I'm better off having a second car but I probably break even.

The other benefit is that since its been here my tegs been garaged as a second car and is almost unblemished so I wanted to keep it that way. Plus its handy having a car you don't mind taking a trip to the tip in etc.

The thing I like about the 306 is its still OK to drive, obviously its not quick but its got enough go in it to overtake and handles pretty well too.

Shiro_DC5

I do 300 miles a week minimum. I have a Civic EG4 that does over 50mpg no matter what. But for the last month at least, it's been in bits. I am of the mind that, if you love the car, just drive it. That is why I own it. I can't worry about depreciation from higher mileage. Because it is my car now and I want to drive it. I enjoy driving it.

I started using the Civic as a commuter when I had my S2000. I needed it then for many reasons including winter use, petrol costs and practicality. It makes less sense now I have the DC5, but I can't bare to part with it now. I love my EG. probably more than my DC5, even with only 90hp! I think I am just a 90s Honda kinda guy.

I don't think running two cars is cheaper. Well it isn't for me anyway. But now it is for the love of it, not any practical reasons!

I would have a whole fleet if I could afford it!

masterjedijay

Advanced Member
I do over 550 miles per week in my daily commute to work and the car has now covered at 131k and still on the original clutch. I roughly do 20-25k a year. I have had no problems at all but I do service it regularly (4 times year with Honda). I have had numerous Honda's over the years and always do stratospheric mileage and I have never had a problem apart from general wear and tear items. The Integra DC5 is a great car and my philosophy has always been use it and enjoy it otherwise what's the point in owning it!

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
I agree with what everyone else has said, if you enjoy it use it! I love my Teg but work is only 2 miles away and I have a baby so in the full 6 months I've had it I think it stands at 46,000 miles - I've done 1000 in the time I've had it haha. If I could drive it more I would so enjoy it!!!

Rom

Advanced Member
Wow, hats off to you guys who do the mega miles.

I know they can do, and you guys are testament to that. Honda are very reliable.

Its personal choice i guess, its not something i would do. But a lot of the points made are valid. Like why have it if you wont use it etc. They also make sense.
For me, i only bought it once i knew i wouldnt be doing loads of miles. I live 1.7 miles from work, so ride my bike most days.

Dan34

Advanced Member
My MOT is due next week. Just checked my mileage and i've done just a shade over 20,000 miles between MOT's :xaiweb6: Was 19,000 the year before!

I'm beyond caring about the mileage on mine now, I love driving it and can't see me selling it for a long time :)

RE Spirit

Parts Trader
Dan34 said:
My MOT is due next week. Just checked my mileage and i've done just a shade over 20,000 miles between MOT's :xaiweb6: Was 19,000 the year before!

I'm beyond caring about the mileage on mine now, I love driving it and can't see me selling it for a long time :)
Same, my teg for me is my daily, my loved car, my show car, company demo car, whatever you want to call it, anywhere I go, I take it :D with all these meets starting plotting around everywhere in the UK, if I am free to go, I will go :D mileage pretty much means nothing at the moment.

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
I never realised many members covered this many miles either! looks like a fair few teg's are going to significantly increase in mileage!

I suppose if i did keep doing these miles for the next 2 years in the teg', then the total mileage will approximately be 94k. not too bad for, what will be, a 14/15 year old car and by then i should have a diesel commuter!

Thanks for the comments, you mile eaters have helped me make up my mind lol.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know how you guys put so many miles on your pride and joys. I just leave mine tucked away in the garage ;)

DanM

I bought my DC5 as a daily and I am doing 250 miles to work and another 200 social miles a week, so 450 miles in total. If its your pride and joy I'd get another cheap car, if not enjoy the DC5 and rack up the miles like myself.