4-2-1 Manifolds

dave7368

Advanced Member
hey guys, just a quick question, need to know how much heat wrap i'm going to need to buy to wrap a DC Sports 4-2-1 manifold? :xcheers:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
several metres, maybe 4 or 5 from memory, it is important to get the overwrap correct, not too much, it is also worth while getting the proper clips to keep it on rather than lockwire or jubilees

Gaz DC5

Advanced Member
i bought 5 meteres for mu spoon 4-2 and it wasn't quite enough. You'd probably be best getting around 10 meters for a 4-2-1 i think. make sure you get decent quality stuff though, i bough some from ebay and it frayed alot. The metal ties wern't great either, jubile clips are sometimes better

dave7368

Advanced Member
was thinking about getting the stuff on Buddyclub's website, it's about the most expensive i've seen advretised so i'm guessing it's going to be about the best out there as well...?

jay82

Advanced Member
dave7368 said:
was thinking about getting the stuff on Buddyclub's website, it's about the most expensive i've seen advretised so i'm guessing it's going to be about the best out there as well...?
just because its the most expensive doesn't mean its the best.
but why don't bring it to paul hughs or tgm to get it wrapped i'm sure they'll do a better job and charge for what they use :?: and i think dc sports tells yea not to do it on the manifold anyway :xconfused:

dave7368

Advanced Member
jay82 said:
dave7368 said:
just because its the most expensive doesn't mean its the best.
but why don't bring it to paul hughs or tgm to get it wrapped i'm sure they'll do a better job and charge for what they use :?: and i think dc sports tells yea not to do it on the manifold anyway :xconfused:
news to me, has anyone else heard these shouldn't be wrapped?... why not???

Suped

Advanced Member
Same goes for the dc-sports ceramic coated mani's. More prone to cracking and won't last as long.

dave7368

Advanced Member
Suped said:
Same goes for the dc-sports ceramic coated mani's. More prone to cracking and won't last as long.
so, surely if that's the case it's the same for any make manifold? after all, they're only a bit of tubing and welding...?

Suped

Advanced Member
Yes, your right. Trouble is, heat wrapping is for race car applications, not street cars. Mani's are just bent piping and welding to direct gases from the engine out.

dave7368

Advanced Member
that'll save me a bit of £ then :xcheers: the heat shield that bolts to the top of the standard manifold, obviously that won't fit back on so will it cause anything to get too hot with it not being fitted?

Suped

Advanced Member
When I had mani fitted, i was in the same position thinking about excess heat, so I went and bought a buddyclub bonnet. Bought it for function over form. Buddyclub bonnet has a nice vent just above the mani. During the summer months, you'd see so much heat rising up... scary indeed, but I went back to the OEM bonnet not long after as I checked out the intake temp over a few months and didn't effect at all and not had no issues with the mani exposed, I even ran a AEM v2 which loads off ppl on here say it suffers from heat soak. Each to their own... I'm constantly on the motorway so never suffer from heatsoak.

dave7368

Advanced Member
cool, so i'll just fit it with no worries then... i have an AEM cai so heat soak there not a problem, more water soak in this weather!

LeeH

Advanced Member
Suped said:
water soak if you live in cumbria areas... looks gastly on the news! :shock:
Don't think you can get JDM snorkels.

On a serious note it looks bloody shocking :eek:

dave7368

Advanced Member
LeeH said:
Suped said:
water soak if you live in cumbria areas... looks gastly on the news! :shock:
Don't think you can get JDM snorkels.

On a serious note it looks bloody shocking :eek:
ive had the trouble once, misfiring not revving and loads of steam coming out the exhaust.... so in heavy rain now i drive like Miss Daisy is in the back!! :lol: