Insurance company list, details & quotes (2017 - Current Date)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
So in order to help others gauge quotes for the next year I am going to add my quotes here to give an idea on rough price ranges from the companies I contact.

To my surprise after all the issues this year with the change of Sainsbury's underwriters I still got a renewal, I have had to explain that I wont be renewing with them as their underwriters don't seem to understand the modifications and impact of them on my car and so have no alternative than to go elsewhere. Their quote was £406 up from £310 last year.

My insurance is not due until 12th Oct but I decided to try an online quote today, the post will be updated with date and company name as I do them.

* Company - Adrian Flux - 08700 777240
* Method - Phone Quote
* Price - £325.11 all mods declared
* Named Drivers - Myself and my partner (both clean licences and no accidents and full NCB)
* Postcode - Very low risk
* Parking - Private Driveway (Off road)

* Note - The initial quote was online and come out to be £330.00, I would have saved a small amount by calling
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

* Company - Pace Ward - 01782 286311
* Method - Phone Quote
* Price - £460..00
* Named Drivers - Myself and my partner (both clean licences and no accidents and full NCB)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

* Company - Greenlight - 01277 650866
* Method - Phone Quote
* Price - £394.61

* Note - Neil managed to get me a quote this year which is nice but still not as competitive as I would have expected

* Company - Reis.co.uk - 0115 965 1020
* Method - Phone Quote
* Price - £700.00

* Note - Have heard great things about this company but they couldn't get even close to anyone already mentioned

* Company - Keith Michaels - DID NOT CALL THIS TIME - 0800 542 2141

* Company - Brentacre - DID NOT CALL THIS TIME - 01792 650933

* Company - Sky - DID NOT CALL THIS TIME - 0870 112 1759

* Company - Chris Knott - DID NOT CALL THIS TIME - 0800 917 2274

* Company - Direct Line - DID NOT CALL THIS TIME - 0845 246 8888

* Company - Alexander McNicol - DID NOT CALL THIS TIME - 01506 653937

* Company - A-Plan - DID NOT CALL THIS TIME - 0845 0711234

* Company - Dorset (Over 28's) - DID NOT CALL THIS TIME - 0808 1086590

* Company - Hill House Hammond - DID NOT CALL THIS TIME - 01733 310899

* Company - Insurance Factory (Over 30 For Mods) - DID NOT CALL THIS TIME - 0870 777 8181

* Company - Laurie Ross - DID NOT CALL THIS TIME - 0141 6432131

* Company - Liverpool Victoria (Over 30's) - DID NOT CALL THIS TIME - 0800 514 514

* Company - Livingstones Insurance (Over 30's) - DID NOT CALL THIS TIME - 0870 120 3897

* Company - Norwich Union Direct - DID NOT CALL THIS TIME - 08705 502 006

* Company - Opi (Over 30's) - DID NOT CALL THIS TIME - 0870 242 0800

* Company - Osborne & Sons (Over 30's) - DID NOT CALL THIS TIME - 0871 222 8247

* Company - Lifesure - DID NOT CALL THIS TIME - 0871 726 1235

Companies to AVOID due to comments and complications:

* Company - Churchill - 0800 200326
* Method - Phone Quote
* Price - N/A
WONT INSURE THE CAR DUE TO HAVING A STRUT BRACE WHICH ADD'S TOO MUCH HP

AND

* Company - Sainsbury's - 0800 210 0247
* Method - Renewal through the post
* Price - N/A

Added note, Churchill and Sainsbury's so far will cover every modification apart from strut braces. Sainsbury's we were aware of this fact from my previous posts but called Churchill and as soon as I mentioned a strutbrace it instantly said insurance declined as it add's too much bhp.

Sainsbury's was an automatic renewal so be careful as although they wont touch cars with a strut brace their new policy also states they insure cars where not UK version is available).

Last edited:

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Not sure who you plan on trying, but don't forget Pace Ward, Greenlight and Keith Michaels.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Not sure who you plan on trying, but don't forget Pace Ward, Greenlight and Keith Michaels.
Cheers Chris, I have added them to the list and have changed the initial post to show a compiled list of those companies I intend to call

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Adrian flux quotes updated, Neil at Greenlight is calling me tomorrow so I'll add the details when he has called. I genuinely hope he can quote me this time as I was quite annoyed by their comments last year regarding a lack of experience driving performance cars... it's pretty much all I've had so fingers crossed or I'll write them off going forward.

Sainsbury's sent me a renewal (even after giving me most of last years money back) but still won't cover the strutbrace so mmm no thanks as anyone claiming a strutbrace adds bhp is not worthy of insuring my car.

Verdict so far, both Churchill and Sainsbury's will cover every modification I have apart from a strut brace.

Sainsbury's we were aware of this fact from my previous posts but I called Churchill yesterday and as soon as I mentioned a strutbrace it instantly said insurance declined... wtf is going on, apparently it adds more that 10% bhp, maybe I'm missing something here but it's a metal bar held on by 6 bolts and only stiffens the chasis but joining the struts, put it on a rolling road test both with and without and there will be no bhp changes guaranteed...

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I'm with Adrian Flux and they had no problem with my strut brace. Or any of my mods for that matter. The only thing that is wrong is the price, Adrian Flux charged me £2K as no other insurer would touch me.

Apparently if you're 21 you can all of a sudden drive a fast car and was told I'd have to wait by all of the speacilists.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Mardgee

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Adrian flux quotes updated, Neil at Greenlight is calling me tomorrow so I'll add the details when he has called. I genuinely hope he can quote me this time as I was quite annoyed by their comments last year regarding a lack of experience driving performance cars... it's pretty much all I've had so fingers crossed or I'll write them off going forward.
After to speaking them after trying to get a quote I understand it a bit more, I got told it wasn't the speed of the car just the amount of claims they get for the car in the first year so the underwriters just wont do it anymore. Bit gutted as also got told they would have matched/beat my Flux quote.

p1tse

Advanced Member
^ I thought sainsbury changed underwriters and no longer covers JDM cars including DC5?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
^ I thought sainsbury changed underwriters and no longer covers JDM cars including DC5?
This is correct and I questioned that also but the person I spoke to didn't know. I guess it was an auto renewal but I've declined it anyway :)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Mardgee said:
After to speaking them after trying to get a quote I understand it a bit more, I got told it wasn't the speed of the car just the amount of claims they get for the car in the first year so the underwriters just wont do it anymore. Bit gutted as also got told they would have matched/beat my Flux quote.
I see what you mean but my view is I'm 37, been driving fast imports since I was 19 and from 17 - 19 had RS turbos etc. My skyline was 4 x the power is my DC5 and worth a shed load more with nothing standard apart from a few interior parts so asctheir words were " you don't have enough experience with performance cars " I was shocked (especially if one looks through my car history)...

Fingers crossed for this year as a few more to call still but Flux gave me a very good and fair quote

carl hammond

Advanced Member
So I have found my new insurers for the next year, I did not bother calling as many as I planned too as the quote I got was very good and fair in my opinion and I have today paid for it to start on the 12th October. The company I have gone with has come with great feedback and been recommended to me and they were by far the best price.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
....who then? :)
Hi Chris the best quote was with John's insurer, his local broker and the policy like his I believe is with Lloyds. After his comments on how good they were with his two issues on his prev DC5 last year before buying the Mugen one I was 100% going to try them and am now waiting for the paperwork to come through (which will be whilst I am in Dubai).

Really happy with their policy, everything the others had but with a lower excess and all modifications covered. We valued the car at 11.5K due to the condition and recent work and market values, limited to 6K miles a year but I don't think I even do that tbh and 30 days Euro cover which I have always had but never used so will hope to get a trip abroad in it next year :)

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Glad you got sorted mate. The whole p1ss take with the strut brace sounds not only a monumental farce but is such an irony based on the fact that these cars have a a brace on from factory. I'll definitely be avoiding those jokers (Churchill and Sainsbury's in future based on your feedback.

Brilliant thread for anyone looking at buying one of these cars of for anyone struggling to find insurance. Should be stickied/pinned imo.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:
Glad you got sorted mate. The whole p1ss take with the strut brace sounds not only a monumental farce but is such an irony based on the fact that these cars have a a brace on from factory. I'll definitely be avoiding those jokers (Churchill and Sainsbury's in future based on your feedback.

Brilliant thread for anyone looking at buying one of these cars of for anyone struggling to find insurance. Should be stickied/pinned imo.
Cheers mate, try to add as much help as I can for others and will update this each year with new companies and quotes but gave up calling any others as all those big names everyone rates and swears by for amazing quotes seem to be poor imo in terms of actually offering competitive policies. Greenlight were not too bad imo and I will try them in future but they need to get more competitive imo as I was paying less than their quote last year and don't think I have paid over £325 in the past 5yrs on any car. The 800whp R33 GTR V-Spec was only £800 fully comp and that was without calling around etc.

The strut brace issue is if anyone needs it explained in details in the threads titled " Sainsbury's Insurance " or something similar to that.

Chris, the best part was my complaint to Sainsbury's where based on the exact comment made on a recorded call they confirmed that 90% of the cars on their books in a list of cars I sent them are actually not insured correctly due to them having Strut braces as standard. I may still have the letter/email I sent them listing a number of makes and models for them to consider as they were in breach of their policies covering them based on the information I was being given. A week later most of my policy refunded, the things you do to try and be honest and insure every little thing hey lol

MrRy

Advanced Member
Thanks for the list, reminded me of a few companies I've not tried in a few years - just bought a new car and A-plan were the cheapest for me as they can mirror NCB, worth remembering them as they were good with me on the DC2 as well. Had to call Sky, A-plan, Chris Knott, etc. multiple times for them to keep knocking down their "best price" which saved another 60 quid for the sake or 15 minutes.

I've got the DC5 insured with HIC but they are essentially Adrian Flux I believe.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
MrRy said:
Thanks for the list, reminded me of a few companies I've not tried in a few years - just bought a new car and A-plan were the cheapest for me as they can mirror NCB, worth remembering them as they were good with me on the DC2 as well. Had to call Sky, A-plan, Chris Knott, etc. multiple times for them to keep knocking down their "best price" which saved another 60 quid for the sake or 15 minutes.

I've got the DC5 insured with HIC but they are essentially Adrian Flux I believe.
No Problem, I have now added to the initial post an additional list of companies worth trying for all to use going forward, each year the or a DC5 is in my ownership I will add to this all my latest quotes and details.