95 Ron conversion???

Welsh-Rich

Advanced Member
Just a quick question, what with the rising fuel proces and all, it's worth knowing these things should it get even more stupid :roll:

Is there an ECU that is programmable to allow the use of 95 Ron on the DC5?

I'm sure I saw someone on here running it (or at least trying it)...but can I find the thread, can I hell :(

Anyones input is wlecomed.......I just think at 91.9 for Optimax with impending price risies, Asda petrol is looking more and more attractive! :wink: :)

Welsh-Rich

Advanced Member
Cheers Simon

Once again a stupidly quick reply...and a good answer too! :D

Although I also meant to ask....how much? or does this depend what you want it mapped too/for?

I'll have to buy you a pint if I ever make a meet! :D

jonster

Advanced Member
The stock ECU will retard the ignition automatically to whatever RON/Octane fuel you run. You loose this automatic funtion with the Hondata KPro but if you have it correctly mapped (with the given fuel) you will not have detonation problems anyway.

Jon

Welsh-Rich

Advanced Member
So if it automatically adjusts to any Octane fuel you use, are there any risks on just filling her up on unleaded...apart from loss of performance?

May be better getting the Hondata and mapping it correctly for 95....but what would then happen if I went back to 98? would it need remapping?

Sorry about the questions guys....this is pretty new to me! :oops:

Very much appreciated though! :)

jonster

Advanced Member
You've got to make your mind up what you want really. The stock ECU will self tune (ignition timing and fuel trim) to whatever fuel you give it. If you want to Hondata your car you are doing this to get more performance. This will need more fuel. The ignition will be advanced to get the performance and hence need a higher octane is more suitable to prevent detonation.

There is no real point Hondata'ing your car unless you have done something with your induction to make the most of the mapping unless you just go for a basic re-flash.

Cheers,

Jon

Welsh-Rich

Advanced Member
Thanks for that Jon

I'm just in the process of getting the Trust drop in filter and th 5Zigen intake kit from Pro Racer, so won't be doing anything for at least another 3-4 weeks about the ECU just yet.

Guess I'll think again nearer the time, but like the idea of the Hondata - always good to have more performance, and at least get it set up right with the intake too.

kingston

Advanced Member
Welsh-Rich said:
Thanks for that Jon

I'm just in the process of getting the Trust drop in filter and th 5Zigen intake kit from Pro Racer, so won't be doing anything for at least another 3-4 weeks about the ECU just yet.

Guess I'll think again nearer the time, but like the idea of the Hondata - always good to have more performance, and at least get it set up right with the intake too.
Change the chip when you've undertaken more performance enhancing mods otherwise youre just wasting money (ie get an exhaust first then the chip) and if youre planing on just throwing it away, can i have some please?

Welsh-Rich

Advanced Member
kingston said:
Change the chip when you've undertaken more performance enhancing mods otherwise youre just wasting money (ie get an exhaust first then the chip) and if youre planing on just throwing it away, can i have some please?
Thanks for that..... was thinking about exhaust later on, but just not yet :)

Hadn't even thought about waiting for the exhaust before the
chip...getting a bit ahead of myself! :oops: too eager I think :lol:

In that case, thanks or saving me money...not wanting to throw any away just yet :wink: but if I do you were the first to ask and I'll remember that :D

Just settle on the expensive petrol, or lack of performance if it goes up much more :evil:

kingston

Advanced Member
Sorry, forgot to write;

If you was to get the exhaust after the chip, then you would have to have the ecu remapped again (pendant on the chip you go for and i dont know about the ones for the ITR). Hence why you'd be throwing money away.

The brain thinks one thing while the body types something completely different :oops:

jonster

Advanced Member
The programmable ECU (chip) is usually the last thing you do after you have changed the basics ie your inake, exhaust manifold (from the engine) and cat-back (the rest of the exhaust).

The mapping can cost £400 ish each time so it's best to only do this once if you can help it. Alternatively, just get a fixed (non-programmable) ECU. I loved the Mugen N1 I had but the Hondata KPro is better.

You can always improve performance by making the car ligher. There are many gains with this: acceleration, cornering, braking and economy.

Cheers,

Jon

truffs

jon yours has been stripped so much the only thing thats left is your seat and the steering wheel :D :D