A pain in the Gasket

PeteMTBer

Hi folks,

Was checking my oil today, which I do every 700-1000 miles and usually only have to put a few drops in to top it up.

It was down on the lower mark of the dipstick, so had a hunt around and came across this:

I dont know a great deal when it comes to engines, but i'm guessing the rocker cover gasket has gone.

Any advice and a rough cost to remedy would be great, as I know you're all far more knowledgable than I am.

Its a 2003, 66k miles, get oil changed every 3-4k, it's not my daily driver, only done 12k since I got it over 2 years ago.

Thanks,

Pete

P.S. Why do photos make it look a lot dirtier than I thought it was :huh:

Gerard DC5

Advanced Member
The gasket is around £20 from honda. I just got my cam cover painted and thought I may aswell change it in the process. :)

PeteMTBer

How common is this? Is it just a case of wear and tear?

£20 sounds great and i've just been looking at the replace cam cover guide in the how to section.

Anyone shed any light on the bit about sealant in the corner? Also do the bolts need to be torqued up to a certain...erm...torque?

Not sure if i'll give this a go myself. Peace of mind knowing its been done correctly would be nice.

Thanks for the reply.

Gerard DC5

Advanced Member
Before I changed I had a a bit of a weep on mine too. Not sure on the torque as it was a mechanic friend that done mines (for my own piece of mind lol).

PeteMTBer

Theres a lot to be said for piece of mind.

I'll call in at Honda on my way home from work tomorrow. Should be the type of thing they have in stock hopefully.

Cheers Gerard

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
Hi..the "how to "for the cam cover was done by me..I`ve done 3 of these now and not used any sealant..all have been fine..I wonder whether the sealant is just to hold the gasket in place until its properly positioned on the engine block?

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
The sealant is blobbed over the 2 'timing chain cover to block' joins and at the base either side of the opposite end semi-circle (can't think what it's called).

The torque is 9.8nm If i can remember and should be tightened centre outwards.
Don't tighten too much, I sheared a bolt thread and had to replace the rocker assembly bolt.