AD08R

loud945

Perhaps a little controversial, but my opinion is that these tyres on UK roads aren't a good idea, they should only be for track, on warm days.

The other week I was caught in the heavy rain we had, I thought I'd be fine driving slowly but it was the scariest motorway drive of my life with aqua planing. Terrifying.

I'm thinking of switching these out to some uniroyal rain sport 3s for daily use, and put the ad08Rs for sale, or just store until a warm trackday. Although the RS3 is criticized as being too soft, lack of turn in response etc, I think it's what I need now to gain some confidence in the car again.

Anyone else had this experience or is it just me? Everyone seems to give them such glowing reviews of ad08r but I honestly couldn't recommend them unless it's a track based car.

skengdR

Advanced Member
Thanks for the feedback , I am on rainsport 3s and really want to change to ad08rs before next February as I think it will give me a better 1/4 mile time at Santa Pod

I am thinking twice now

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

lewis87

Advanced Member
I wouldn't call it controversial at all, many people have turned their daily cars into great track cars for the handful of track days per year that the car will actually see. Whether that be tyres, suspension or whatever else and you end up with something that might not be that great on the road.

I would recommend Michelin Pilot Sport 4's, great tyre for road use and occasionally track day.

jamescee96

AD08R‘s actually have a B rating for wet performance but if you read up on the EU tyre ratings, it bares no correspondence with aquaplaning, directional control or deceleration properties. My friend uses his AD08R‘s as wet/damp tyres on trackdays and Nankang AR1‘s for dry as the AD08R‘s overheat on track. I use RS3 for wets as i have found them to be up there with the best. Overall, if you‘re aquaplaning, more than likely no matter what tyre you have, it probably wont make a difference. On dual carriageways etc i try and drive off the centre of the road to avoid the roads natural pooling affect which can make you aquaplane regardless. I‘ve had many instances with my front AR1‘s and rear R888R‘s in the wet and are.....interesting times haha. Hope this helps you mate, be safe out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ldubl

Advanced Member
Have to drive carefully in heavy rain with smooth throttle and steering inputs with semi-slicks. I was okay on the AR-1s in the heavy rain taking it cautiously (including slowing down considerably when see standing water up ahead) and they're a bit more track focussed (& expensive) than AD08Rs.

I had a few scary moments on AD08Rs on the DC2 a few years back, so know to drive within the limits of these tyres in heavy rain / standing water. Tom @ TGM was telling me that AD08Rs are a reference tyre they use in wet conditions on track!

Have done a few laps of Anglesey in the wet both on AR-1s and RS3s, unsurprisingly the RS3s were much more capable and confidence-inspiring, allowing me maintain higher cornering speeds and accelerate earlier out of corners. The RS3s aren't suited to dry track, even with the stiffer sidewalled XL version as the sidewalls are still too soft.

The aquaplaning speed does vary depending on tyre (see recent evo test as tyres are rated on what speed they can achieve etc) so on the RS3s you're much less likely to aquaplane than the on semi-slicks due to far superior water dispersion, especially if there's lots of tread depth. In my experience, can safely drive through shallow water run off at approx 20mph higher than could safely on a semi-slick, but obviously there are limits to all tyres depending on conditions etc, so echo @jamescree96's comment to be safe out there!

RS3s are ideal if you have a set of wheels/tyres for dry track as well. They're not as responsive when dry, but far superior in the wet to most other tyres. Mine are for sale! Keep your AD08Rs on your wheels ready for the track and use these for road and wet track :xhappy: (offers considered!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Integra-DC5-Type-R-Oem-Wheels-Uniroyal-Rainsport-3-215-45-17-91Y-XL-6-7mm/254410280350

If you're sticking to a one-tyre solution, then a tyre such as those in the recent evo tyre test could be a good option, especially if you can find the Maxxis Victra Sport 5s that essentially were the cheapest and best! The Pirelli P Zero PZ4s officially won and beat the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (MPS4) that previously won and that many rate (I don't, but I did change to PS4s from R888Rs on a modified RS200 and on a 350Z the MPSS were much better)

MPSS (Super Sports) are only available from 18inch. Originally Michelin dominated this territory with the MPSS, these have now been replaced with MPS4S (4S , not the best differentiator, i.e. not the same as 4s being plural for PS4s!) Goodyear recently launched their own competitor Super Sports that sit above their F1 Asymmetric 5s and rival the MPS4S.

@SamDC5 rates the Michelin Cup 2s which are one step further to being semi-slicks than the MPS4S, but slightly better in the wet than a semi-slick and are fitted to several high performance cars from factory. They're very good value too and discount offers for Michelin tyres are sometimes available. I considered these before going for AR-1s but was put off by occasional stories of delamination and when I test drove a Megane Trophy in the wet a few years ago, the wheels span up very easily (wearing Cup 2s) so they're more of an all weather compromise. Reading your original post @loud945, these may be a step too far for your needs, being very close to AD08Rs.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I did a wet through Donington Park on AD08R's, standing water and it didn't stop raining the entire day. The tyres coped fine, I wouldn't say AD08R are a bad tyre in the rain, especially compared to a proper track focused tyre like AR1/DZ03G.

I was actually really impressed with how the AD08R's faired in the rain, they're not going to work as well as a PS4 or a Rainsport tyre that's for sure.

As mentioned above I actually moved onto Cup 2, very good in the dry without the massive price tag of AR1/DZ03G. I've also used them on a damp evening session at Donington and a damp start to Cadwell Park. They performed well again, not as good as AD08R in the rain that's for sure. You just have to be aware of how much grip you have available for the conditions.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

skengdR

Advanced Member
What would you guys recommend for daily use and Santa Pod every now and then?

loud945

Thanks for the replies, out of interest what psi are you guys using for the ad08Rs?

jamescee96

Depends tbh mate, road i use AD08R‘s at 30PSI for road use and on track days I run 28 front 26 rear (when at full temp). Wet I run 23 front and 20 rear (also at full temp)

ekchris139

Advanced Member
I find AD08R's great tyres for the road but as said you really need to know the limits of the conditions you are driving in with them.

If you won't be tracking it much then I'd be looking into Michelins PS4 (you will lose a bit a steering feel with these) but can drive the car on in confidence in the wet without much worry.

my next tyre I will try out will be the Goodyear Eagle Supersports on my daily (Cupra 280), looking forward to trying these but for the DC5 I will be keeping the AD08R on no matter the weather.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
jamescee96 said:
Depends tbh mate, road i use AD08R‘s at 30PSI for road use and on track days I run 28 front 26 rear (when at full temp). Wet I run 23 front and 20 rear (also at full temp)

That's very low pressures if you're taking hot? Hot pressures for AD08R should be between 32-34 PSI

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

skengdR

Advanced Member
thanks for the feedback guys , i think i will try the ad08s first

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Perhaps a little controversial, but my opinion is that these tyres on UK roads aren't a good idea, they should only be for track, on warm days.

The other week I was caught in the heavy rain we had, I thought I'd be fine driving slowly but it was the scariest motorway drive of my life with aqua planing. Terrifying.

I'm thinking of switching these out to some uniroyal rain sport 3s for daily use, and put the ad08Rs for sale, or just store until a warm trackday. Although the RS3 is criticized as being too soft, lack of turn in response etc, I think it's what I need now to gain some confidence in the car again.

Anyone else had this experience or is it just me? Everyone seems to give them such glowing reviews of ad08r but I honestly couldn't recommend them unless it's a track based car.
I have never actually had an issue with the AD08R's myself and I have used loads of sets of them over the years, they are imo a very good road legal track tyre which depending on how you drive perform well in both the wet and dry. However one thing to consider is not only the tyres but the road conditions, suspension height and stiffness and your geo.

If you run a lot of camber then this will drastically impact on your cars handling capabilities in the wet and how it feels/reacts to standing water, if you are mainly using the car on the road then some of the other tyres mentioned in other posts here would more than likely be better for your needs.

Thanks for the replies, out of interest what psi are you guys using for the ad08Rs?
Depending on your use I would run 30-32 psi on the road (if driving normally) and on track I run 28psi cold and 32-34psi hot which is what is recommended for them.

Where do people normally buy their AD08R's?
There was a guy on facebook called Ben who used to supply them (trying to remember his surname). That or ebay or pretty much anywhere online that you can find them as they have been discontinued and replaced with the AD08RS which uses a new compound developed to meet Europe‘s regulations. The new tyres are more economical and from my experience with them less grippy and basically not as good.

I am currently running my last set of AD08R's out now and will be going back to either AR1's or DZ03G's as my go to track tyre

Lemons

Advanced Member
I noticed the new ones are now RS.

A word of warning to people, you need to check you can find someone who is happy to fit own supplied tyres before buying. Many tyres shop aren't so happy to do it, probably as they lose commission on the sale of tyres.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I noticed the new ones are now RS.

A word of warning to people, you need to check you can find someone who is happy to fit own supplied tyres before buying. Many tyres shop aren't so happy to do it, probably as they lose commission on the sale of tyres.
Yeah the new compound on the RS is to meet new regulations and although good they are not as good as the old R and so there are plenty of alternatives I would buy instead. Agreed on the fitting thing, luckily I have someone for this but it's hard to get someone willing too nowadays