Advice needed on topping up/replacing oil

Evil_Weasel

Advanced Member
Feel like a bit of an idiot asking this, but I really am not sure! :roll:

I'm off to the Lake District for the bank holiday weekend coming up, but checked my oil level today and it is right on the 'min' level on the dipstick. I was planning to wait until my next service and have the oil drained and replaced, as it just about needs a service in the next month or two.

Now, do I get some oil of the same make and type as put in last time by the importer and just top if up to make me last till the service, or do I need to really drain and replace...?

Obviously it will take me 5 mins to top up, but I don't have the tools/time to really change the oil myself in the next week, so it would mean taking the car into a local garage!

Sorry for the stupid question, but any help appreciated! :wink:

Duncs

just get some oil and top it up, buy a 5litre can of what ever you want to put in, then keep the rest as top up after your service, as we all know they do use a bit of oil

Evil_Weasel

Advanced Member
Ok, thanks!

Didn't make it clear in last post but my uncertainty was mainly cos I only think I know what oil it has, not absolutely definite, so was unsure about mixing oils! Or would you just get a mixed oil with viscosity somewhere between the two...?

mikegsi

Staff member
just make sure you get that oil topped up pronto mate!

on the reccomendation of my stealership i use semi synth 10-40, doesnt burn/use much oil at all now