Air assist removal

wocka

Advanced Member
So today I removed my air assist valve, basically this is used to help warm the car up on cold starts but it‘s not needed. I deleted on my old dc5 so I knew what to buy instead of a kit

Here‘s something I grabbed off the internet instead of me explaining it

Here‘s what you need to get

3/8 NPT blanker
10mm silicone end cap

I got mine off eBay for around £6.50 posted and I got 2 blanks and 4 end caps

So first job was washing the teg. It was filthy, it so so easy to clean after the big clean last weekend

Ohh and a big thing first, unless you want to remove your rocker cover to get this out, your going to have to snap the one side off. I was removing this regardless so didn‘t mind if I broke it lol

So you will need

10mm ratchet
Long nose pliers
Plumbers (PTFE) tape (optional)
Allen key (in my case for the blanker)

**EDIT** I removed my friends at the weekend and did it a different way. Snapped the whole plastic part off and then used a big socket to remove the assist valve. I will check what I used but it was 22/23/24

So first thing to do is remove your inlet cover with the 10mm ratchet

Now get your long nose pliers, loosen and move the clips to further down the hoses

Now remove the hoses, these may have never been off so give them some twisting while you pull

Now to get to this to undo it was a pain, I removed the fuel line on the fuel rail, to remove this, push the 2 green tabs in, push it forward then pull it off. Some fuel will come out but not a lot, now move the fuel line out the way. Next I removed the bigger vacuum hose that connects above the fuel line and then to the inlet manifold

Next I snapped the side part off the assist valve, now to undo it I used a pair on adjustable grips and just got on where I could, once it is loose you can just use your fingers

OR SNAP THE WHOLE PLASTIC PART OFF AND USE A SOCKET TO REMOVE IT (didn‘t think about this when doing mine but did it on my mates dc5 and it‘s much better than removing the fuel line)

Now get some PTFE tape and wrap it around the new blanker you have got

The blanker you have got will be slightly shaped, so smaller at the bottom than the top, so when you start screwing it in, it will feel loose and as you tighten it, it will get wider and tighter so if it doesn‘t screw all the way down, don‘t worry as it will be in. I did this up as tight as I felt necessary

Now to fit the end caps, one on the inlet manifold and one on the intake hose. First fit the intake hose one, you won‘t need a clip for this

I might change this to a flat one, looks like a .......

**EDIT** do not add this small penis on to your intake hose, it looked ridiculous!!!! Instead use a Honda trim clip. Good snug fit, clicks into place and it flush!!!

ALSO swap you air temp sensor to the other side and blank off the right hand side for a cleaner look, I will update a pic of mine later this week

Anyway on to the inlet one, fit be clip more to the top of the cap, push it on and then get your long nose pliers and push the clip down to where it should be, it‘s a bit fiddly but just take your time

That‘s it, all done. Start your car and make sure the blanker isn‘t leaking coolant then refit your inlet cover

This looks much better with a aftermarket inlet manifold and fuel rail

I‘ve now had my assist valve blanked off for around 6 months, no issues at all and no idle problems updated pics....

Fair to say my bay has changed a lot!!! But the blank looks much better as well as serving a purpose. Recommend it to everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C6MWX

I've heard blanking this can stop the car hunting at idle on cold start when you have aftermarket exhaust

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

wocka

Advanced Member
C6MWX said:
I've heard blanking this can stop the car hunting at idle on cold start when you have aftermarket exhaust

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk
Its a huge improvement, mine used to idle pretty high and hunt from cold if you drove it straight away, its miles better now and it looks better :)