Air Intakes

corbie

Advanced Member
Hi All

Right then I'm thinking about my first mod and was thinking about getting a Injen looks like very good gains but am a bit worried about Hydro locking.

Has anybody got one on their teg and do you have to be really careful when washing or driving about in the rain/puddles. Cause I live in Scotland we get a wee bit of rain here :D .

I've read up on clubrsx and most people don't seem to have a problem with it but they don't have our weather.

Or do I get a Mugen grill/5Zigen/make a custom one like MJ Type-R did and drop a Spoon Filter in the standard airbox (would you have to tell the insurance about a Mugen grill, 5Zigen grill or DIY job?)

or if somebody has any other ideas :idea:

Cheers

Corbie

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Hello mate ..

I have an injen.. no problems so far mate..

I wash my car myself by hand, so I never spray water into the duct. As for the rain, if its peeing down and I am on the motorway then I just drop in the slow lane and go real slow so that not so much rain will go into the brake duct.

But normal rain I just still boot it..

As for puddles, yeah try and stay out of them mate but you need to go into about 6" or more of a puddle to get your filter wet .. and you shouldnt be driving anyway if the water is that high :wink:

And if you are really worried buy a bypass valve..

Mark

corbie

Advanced Member
Hi Mark

Cheers for the reply put my mind at ease over the possibility of getting water in the engine :D .

Did you notice good gains from the Injen, as good as the dyno charts on clubrsx?

Have you got the Injen Heat Shield & Splash Guard?

Would you say it was worth it?

Sorry for all the questions but this is my first mod to the teg and to any motor I’ve owned so want to be sure it’s worth it.

PS.
Why do so many people seem to go for Mugen/GruppeM more so than the Injen, when it seems to have similar gains and is cheaper?

Cheers

Corbie

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Hi Corbie,

I went for the GruppeM for three reasons: i, I wanted to retain a closed airbox system as I was led to believe that they were more effective than CAI (though that wisdom has recently been questioned); ii, I believe mine was the first DC5 in the UK to have one fitted; iii, I got a VERY reasonable price because of point ii. Straight out of the box into an otherwise standard DC5, I gained 9HP at the hubs and, as part of my deal for getting point iii, I published those charts on this forum - This appears to have generated more than a little interest. I would still be surprised if anyone got those gains without any other form of modification and I believe this in combination with point i is why so many DC5 owners are looking/have looked into the CAI/Closed Airbox debate. Hope this helps a bit.

corbie

Advanced Member
I wasn't questioning anybody’s wisdom I just wanted to know why people choose different mods, as I am new to it. I wanted different options/thoughts on what I was thinking of doing before spending wads of cash.

9WHP is a great gain for a single mod I am not knocking the GruppeM, Mugen or any others. I just wanted more information on what people think the best way of improving the air intake on the teg is?

Have you got any links to compare the benefits/differences of closed over open systems so I can read up on it?

Corbie

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Hello mate

No I haven't had it dyno'd yet as it was ment to be done on Tuesday but now it looks like it will be Friday..

Have you got the Injen Heat Shield & Splash Guard?

No mate never bothered with that as your cars splash guard will keep it from getting wet.

As for the heat shield... nah

As for the other intakes... well the GruppeM is just to damn expensive if you ask me plus I reckon that has more chance of rain getting in than the Injen.. also I am not conviced that you are getting loads of air going into the scoop as the nature air flow of a car will past over that scoop.. But saying that figures don't lie and it has got some very good figures.

As for the Mugen, I believe unless you have the Mugen front bumper or you can make something to get the air right into the air box, I don't think you will get the maximum benifits from it..

Both Mike and myself have tried to make our own (airscoops) for the Mugen and have both been down on power on the rollers..

As for am I happy with the Injen.. indeed.. the car feels more responsive and it feels like I have a little more power.. but that could just be because the car is louder now.. and you always find that if a car sounds loud you think its faster.

I RnR the car a few weeks ago with the Mugen so I will be able to see the difference on Friday when I RnR it again with the Injen... plus I will be putting on a Jackson header so I will RnR it again after wards to see the total gains, (if any)

UW

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Corbie, Please don't be alarmed, I didn't take or look for any offence :shock: ... I was merely trying to answer some of your query ie. Why do some choose one form of intake over another? I was trying to say that in my own case the decision was based on A/. claimed performance gains, B/. individuality, and C/. price. This question is probably the second-most popular debate on all Type R forums (behind choice of tyres) as the thread Trung has directed you to will show. I'm sorry if my previous tone appeared curt, I promise you I was merely offering my own, albeit limited, experience. No offence was taken nor intended :D

ps. I wouldn't be absolutely certain but I can see no reason that an insurance company would need to be informed of the addition of a grill/feed to a standard intake.

pps. Mark, I too was slightly worried about water intake during heavy rain etc. Happy to say that I've driven it in most weathers and have not (yet) encountered any such problems. As I've said before, will keep all informed.

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Just out of interest Trung I think Mike's talking out of his ear :roll: :lol: It works fine for me too - Who's the muppet ?:wink:

corbie

Advanced Member
Yeah Link works for me :D

Trung

Thanks for the link read most of this forum once or twice trying to figure out where to start my mods. :twisted:

UW
Yeah didn’t think that the splash guard/heatshield would do much good but seen it on the website where the Injen was and thought I'd ask.

Would be very interested in the Dyno results with the Injen putting my car on the rollers to have a base line this weekend.

The GruppeM does have a drain hole for water/snow so shouldn't be a problem.

I did find this to cope with any water worries for the Injen/AEM/or other open filter http://www.knfilters.com/marine/pwaccessories.htm see the Drychargers but would definitely drop power.

DC51VTC
Didn’t think you were but just thought I might be coming across wrong and was having very bad work day :x .

From your list A and C are the important ones to me. I own a DC5 and thats a fairly unique thing 8) .

Does the GruppeM have an air Filter inside the box, same goes for the Mugen its something I've yet to find out?

I do like the GruppeM, more and more people are saying how much better they are than the Mugen. It is my second choice because the quotes have been 549 and over. Unless somebody has cheap contacts :D

Corbie

T666YPR

Front page for me too. :?
Has happened a few times with previous links.
Anything to do with security level?

My Spoon filter didn't do too bad either (to be combined with 5Zigen grill). :D

Trung

Advanced Member
corbie said:
Does the GruppeM have an air Filter inside the box, same goes for the Mugen its something I've yet to find out?
yes it does otherwise our engines would've been long gone. :lol: :lol:

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Hi again Corbie,

The GruppeM has a GruppeM-designed filter constructed from K&N material (Oiled Cotton) housed within a closed Carbon Fibre box. As you've already pointed out, it has a drain-hole in the base of the bowl to get rid of standing water and condensation. Can't help with price I'm afraid, they don't like to budge (though it is now £100 less than 12 months ago). Hope this helps and doesn't upset your sensibilities :wink: :D

dan the man

Advanced Member
just off topic and on to topic off weird pages and stuff. i get sent all over some times on here and more often than not back to the main page. is it overloaded? never happens on dc2 forum and thats small.(just a thought) dan 8)