Alignment

Crackfox

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Really depends on your use of the car and roads in your area etc and how you want it to drive

Not the best images but his is how mine sat on Mugen shocks and Spoon springs with oem bolts and rear arms which another forum member bought off me yesterday.

The chambers just noticeable and was amazing in the road, this is the stock camber given with this setup just as the dampers are shorter and I believe it‘s 0.5-0.8 degrees all round or something.

I‘ve only gone up a lot as it‘s for track use and I maxed out on track with the old setup.

If yours is mainly a road car and daily used I Personally wouldn‘t run that much as it‘ll also not be amazing on tyres, but we all drive differently and want different things from our cars mate.

If it can be done for free or cheap to test maybe dial it in a bit and see but all depends, this is why I‘ve always said the setup I‘ve jut sold is 100% better than pretty much any coilover for the road as it‘s honestly amazing out the box and the ride and handling was superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appreciate that thanks. As much as I'd love some mugen shocks it's just not an option at the min. Might just gor into my local tyre place and get them to bring it in. Shouldn't cost too much. Maybe they'll have a different take on it than the 2 motorsport places I've been.

All o want is to not have an old lady, who didn't move from 50mph, even in a 30 zone, beat me round a corner because the car was twitchy as fuck over every undulation in the road lol.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
I would say that is a pretty mild geo set up.

That was my first set up on my first DC5 and it drove fine on the road.

Might sound silly but do you drive with both hands on the steering wheel? Could it be down to the nature of the power steering?
Sorry, not sure what you mean. I've only ever had one car that wasnt power steering.
Its not all roads. like I said before if I get a nice road its amazing, but they are pretty terrible in Lincolnshire at the minute, and when they're bad, they're really bad.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
Sorry, not sure what you mean. I've only ever had one car that wasnt power steering.
Its not all roads. like I said before if I get a nice road its amazing, but they are pretty terrible in Lincolnshire at the minute, and when they're bad, they're really bad.

Thinking of the hydraulic power steering in the dc5.

Compared to my daily drive, the steering in the dc5 is heavier and does center quicker as well.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
Thinking of the hydraulic power steering in the dc5.

Compared to my daily drive, the steering in the dc5 is heavier and does center quicker as well.
Yeah definitely heavier than my civic was, and that was a big fat diesel.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
This is from Area,

Hi mate,

I'm not totally clued up on geometry settings but I think as Carl mentioned, this might be too aggressive a setup for the road.

I've done a load of research on settings and when my Mugen Showa are setup at the end of this month I'll be going for something such as this. Mine is fully Super Castor Pro bushed too which isn't helping things either.

Zero toe front with 1.5 deg neg camber.

0.75 degrees neg on the rear with a tiny bit or zero toe in.

I'm hoping this might make the car feel more stable and less as though it's pulling around all over the place like a mother fu*#er. Lol

I echo what others have said as well in that no two cars are the same, poor road surfaces have an impact. Pot holes, road camber etc. The diff on these cars is also a big factor and will be another reason you struggle to keep it in a straight line. I'm exactly the same mate and it's really frustrating.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
I have 1.5 camber front and rear, bot sure of the toe setting
I love the setup
Meisters are set 15 all round

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Crackfox

Advanced Member
bxlyheathsupra said:
I have 1.5 camber front and rear, bot sure of the toe setting
I love the setup
Meisters are set 15 all round

What tyres you running out of curiosity?

ollieh17

Advanced Member
I also think that's a mild geo setting. If you want to play around with geo just go to any alignment place. Appreciate loyalties to the tuning names but any garage with laser can set a car up to provided figures.

It sounds like there's something going on further than alignment. I've driven cars with alignment all over the shop and nothing has been as bad as you describe.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
bxlyheathsupra said:
Nankang ns2 215 40 18 all round

Thanks. That brings me slightly back to the 225 potentially being worse for tram lining.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Did you speak to Area about what the car was doing or just let them do the allignment? Rob would have been able to explain everything to you. How much camber is the car running? If you're not used to camber it can feel like the car wants to wonder.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Crackfox

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Did you speak to Area about what the car was doing or just let them do the allignment? Rob would have been able to explain everything to you. How much camber is the car running? If you're not used to camber it can feel like the car wants to wonder.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Yes was chatting to him the whole time he was working. Maybe that's it and I'm just not used to it settings like that, my DC2 was pretty standard. So maybe I don't need it if I'm not tracking it.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I'd do a bit of research on the forum into different settings. I know others have said it's not an overly aggressive geometry but it's clearly too aggressive for you and your needs. At the end of the day your car is a daily driver I'm assuming, much like myself? If so then get it a little softer because these cars really aren't the nicest to drive. Unless you're doing non stop track action or the car is a dedicated track day car then change it. I don't think it'll be your tyres bud. My car is awful to drive 90%of the time, I sound like a moaner but they really aren't a pleasant drive. I've started enjoying driving my old Fabia VRS diesel more of late as it rides bumps effortlessly and is so much smoother. I feel terrible saying that but that's the effect mine has. I love the revs and the looks but apart from that it's a nightmare to drive. Fingers crossed this Mugen Showa setup I've gone for improves the daily drive.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Have you looked at bushes,tyres,ball joints etc?seriously think you are knocking at the wrong door with alignment

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
Have you looked at bushes,tyres,ball joints etc?seriously think you are knocking at the wrong door with alignment
I dunno you know mate. None of my bushes etc are damaged and mine feels very similar to how the OP's feels. Not disagreeing with you Ollie just that the issues are similar. It could be bushes or something else chassis related but the way he or she has described how the car pulls everywhere pretty much sums up how these cars are.

Who did your setup Ollie and what settings have you got? What are the roads like round yours because they're terrible round here in North Wales.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
I dunno you know mate. None of my bushes etc are damaged and mine feels very similar to how the OP's feels. Not disagreeing with you Ollie just that the issues are similar. It could be bushes or something else chassis related but the way he or she has described how the car pulls everywhere pretty much sums up how these cars are.

Who did your setup Ollie and what settings have you got? What are the roads like round yours because they're terrible round here in North Wales.
Isn't yours polybushed? Now that will make a noticeable difference.

Mine was set up years ago and have no receipt to say gas been changed since. Standard shocks,eibach springs,rcas,camberbolts, rear camber arms ad08s.it drives great on road and track and mixture of road conditions.

I've had other cars with much more aggressive settings and it hasn't made road driving any worse. Especially as described here.

Has anyone messed around with the reload on your coilovers op?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Crackfox

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
Isn't yours polybushed? Now that will make a noticeable difference.

Mine was set up years ago and have no receipt to say gas been changed since. Standard shocks,eibach springs,rcas,camberbolts, rear camber arms ad08s.it drives great on road and track and mixture of road conditions.

I've had other cars with much more aggressive settings and it hasn't made road driving any worse. Especially as described here.

Has anyone messed around with the reload on your coilovers op?

And now I'm back round to trying RCA's :p

ollieh17

Advanced Member
I think you have a fault/problem rather than a under optimised setup. I don't think rcas will fix your issue the same as not having them won't cause it.

I reckon you could possibly have an issue with the preload on the coilovers. Who fitted them and were they new?

Crackfox

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
I think you have a fault/problem rather than a under optimised setup. I don't think rcas will fix your issue the same as not having them won't cause it.

I reckon you could possibly have an issue with the preload on the coilovers. Who fitted them and were they new?

Came with the car, but i believe Torque GT by the previous owner

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Things is it can be aligned perfect but if bushes have any play your alignment will change constantly aa your driving and give that floaty wandering feel.
Mines fully poly bushed and running the coilovers and its probably the most planted car ive ever had now.