Alignment

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
You're near grinspeed aren't you? Why don't you get them to drive it and see what they think? The roads around me aren't brilliant either. Have you ever driven a standard one? I know theyre not a Rolls Royce in terms of ride etc but at the end of the day it's a performance car meant for track. I'd of taken you out in mine happily but you are a good trip away, what suspension setup do you currently have? What geo settings?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I am mate and it's in with them on Friday to have the Mugen Showas fitted. It's currently on OEM dampers with Spoon springs which I'll be retaining to go with the Showas.

I don't think he'll take it for a blast until the dampers have been changed but I'm reasonably confident the car will feel better once the OEM dampers are off. It's difficult for them to get a feel for the car without going on a long drive and Stevie doesn't have the time for that mate.

They last set the car up but I don't really know what the settings are tbh as you don't get a print off as it's all done by hand manually, it's not an overly aggressive setup I don't believe and it's primarily a road car that'll see the max of 1-2 trackdays a year at most so I don't want anything too harsh as it's bad enough as it is lol.

I do push the car hard though when it's driven and especially on weekends when the weather is good so it needs to feel better on the road, you've driven some of them last year mate so you know what they can be like. I'm looking at going for a setup such as this, this based on research from other forum members' cars.

Front

Zero toe with 1.5 degrees negative camber

Rear

0.75 degrees negative camber with a tiny bit or zero toe in (0.05 or thereabouts) to aid stability.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
I am mate and it's in with them on Friday to have the Mugen Showas fitted. It's currently on OEM dampers with Spoon springs which I'll be retaining to go with the Showas.

I don't think he'll take it for a blast until the dampers have been changed but I'm reasonably confident the car will feel better once the OEM dampers are off. It's difficult for them to get a feel for the car without going on a long drive and Stevie doesn't have the time for that mate.

They last set the car up but I don't really know what the settings are tbh as you don't get a print off as it's all done by hand manually, it's not an overly aggressive setup I don't believe and it's primarily a road car that'll see the max of 1-2 trackdays a year at most so I don't want anything too harsh as it's bad enough as it is lol.

I do push the car hard though when it's driven and especially on weekends when the weather is good so it needs to feel better on the road, you've driven some of them last year mate so you know what they can be like. I'm looking at going for a setup such as this, this based on research from other forum members' cars.

Front

Zero toe with 1.5 degrees negative camber

Rear

0.75 degrees negative camber with a tiny bit or zero toe in (0.05 or thereabouts) to aid stability.
That's fair enough mate, I hope you get it sorted soon. I've seen your posts regarding selling it, hopefully a better setup will make you keep it

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
That's fair enough mate, I hope you get it sorted soon. I've seen your posts regarding selling it, hopefully a better setup will make you keep it

Cheers Sam, I'll report back on the Showas once I've been able to test drive it properly but that won't be for a few weeks more than likely. Hopefully they help and I'll keep the car for a while longer.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Just to add to this again.... Did a track day on Monday, standard shocks and eibach springs performed great. For what is basically a road car it was cornering close to full track cars! Plus rode home in relative comfort, maybe im very lucky or maybe the RCAs are making a difference :xhuh:

Crackfox

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
Just to add to this again.... Did a track day on Monday, standard shocks and springs performed great. For what is basically a road car it was cornering close to full track cars! Plus rode home in relative comfort, maybe im very lucky or maybe the RCAs are making a difference :xhuh:
Interesting since RCA are usually only for lowered cars. I keep coming back round to them as a solution. Waiting g out to see how crazy legs gets on with the showas.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Crackfox

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
My bad post edited, im on eibach lowering springs
Fiar one. Although nothing they are still for cars lower than 50mm, might have that wrong though. Still need to find time on a decent day to check my ride height against carls 340mm

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Out of curiosity today i chucked a spirit level on the roof and measured the cars height. I made it 1350 on both sides, but i though the stock height was 1385, which makes me wonder if it is lower, but hte wheel centre to arch is still 340 which seems to be stock. Soooooooo confused

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Damn I have missed a lot of this thread since being away :-(

What's the verdict so far and updates on the car and how it's driving?

Crackfox

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Damn I have missed a lot of this thread since being away :-(

What's the verdict so far and updates on the car and how it's driving?
Not really changed anything yet. Seems worse on different days which I find weird. Going to try and get my joints, bearings re checked as soon as I can, but the wifes cars in today for a service. Done a lot of reading, adn still come back to RCA's, so might be tempted to give that a go if everything else checks out ok.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Not really changed anything yet. Seems worse on different days which I find weird. Going to try and get my joints, bearings re checked as soon as I can, but the wifes cars in today for a service. Done a lot of reading, adn still come back to RCA's, so might be tempted to give that a go if everything else checks out ok.
Are they OEM ones at the moment?

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Well just a little update. I found this info on the cars dimensions http://www.integratyper.org/specs/dimensions.htm and did some measuring up. I think mine is lowered about 25/30mm from what i can tell, measuring from the roof and the wing mirrors. This makes me believe more that the issue I'm having is down to the ride height, and I'm leaning more towards trying out some RCAs, or inverted rod ends. I'm booked in my mates garage on Saturday just to make sure everything else is working as should before I do anything. I could raise it, but I kind of like it where it is, and I've only found one speed bump that causes me a problem.

While I was out with my tape measure I lifted th rear end slightly as it was 331mm one side, and 335mm the other. Not a lot of difference but I've bought them both up to 340 the same as the front for now to see how it runs,

Crackfox

Advanced Member
So my mate gave the car a good once over on Saturday and said there is no play anywhere. He suggested lifting the car up to see if it is th height causing the issues before rushing out and getting RCAs. So today I lifted it by 20mm front and 10mm rear, but I have no idea how much thread is left inside the strut, and meister quote 25mm for safety on the rear, 80mm on the front. I took her for a run and the wheel movement is defiantly reduced, much less snatchy, Still not perfect but I think that is likely now down to the alignment being off since i lifted it. So next step for me I think will either be RCA or inverted tie rod, not sure which.

Torque GT

Parts Trader
Crackfox said:
So my mate gave the car a good once over on Saturday and said there is no play anywhere. He suggested lifting the car up to see if it is th height causing the issues before rushing out and getting RCAs. So today I lifted it by 20mm front and 10mm rear, but I have no idea how much thread is left inside the strut, and meister quote 25mm for safety on the rear, 80mm on the front. I took her for a run and the wheel movement is defiantly reduced, much less snatchy, Still not perfect but I think that is likely now down to the alignment being off since i lifted it. So next step for me I think will either be RCA or inverted tie rod, not sure which.
You won't need the inverted rod ends. MeisterR's are designed to take the steering arm angle into account on a lowered car. If you add inverted rod ends, then you'll create bump steer, not solve it.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Torque GT said:
You won't need the inverted rod ends. MeisterR's are designed to take the steering arm angle into account on a lowered car. If you add inverted rod ends, then you'll create bump steer, not solve it.
Noted, thank you. I wasnt convinced on those anyway after doing a lot of reading on the issue. I'd leave the car jacked up a bit if I was confident on how much thread is left in the strut.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Figured an update is due.

So the Facebook OE suspension i paid for fell through, the guy was busy which delayed him sending them, in the end i turned it off. To be fair he was good, kept in touch and sent me my money back within the hour. I was then looking at other options, more down the B4/B6 route. Having the Meisters though I'd still need to kit them out with springs and mounts which hiked the price right up, and Josh at Torque GT was struggling to source them anyway. I spoke to Bilstein UK and they said they could get the B6, but circa £600 plus springs and mounts was getting silly.

Then last night a bad thing happened, TGM where selling a set of B14's on eBay for a steal so I snapped them up without thinking. Tom phoned this morning to say there was a bit a mess up and his last set had been used, but he had some more on order from Bilstein. While he was on I asked him if he had the spacers for the rear, we ended up having a chat Top bloke by the way) and he said he'd throw in the spacers, and some used good condition top mounts and bearings.

i'm away until Sept so might not see them till I get back, but all being well i'll be a bit happier in my daily drive, if not a little sick knowing there is German parts on my car! If nothing else at least I'll be able to give a direct comparison between the B14's and Meisters for daily driving.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Figured an update is due.

So the Facebook OE suspension i paid for fell through, the guy was busy which delayed him sending them, in the end i turned it off. To be fair he was good, kept in touch and sent me my money back within the hour. I was then looking at other options, more down the B4/B6 route. Having the Meisters though I'd still need to kit them out with springs and mounts which hiked the price right up, and Josh at Torque GT was struggling to source them anyway. I spoke to Bilstein UK and they said they could get the B6, but circa £600 plus springs and mounts was getting silly.

Then last night a bad thing happened, TGM where selling a set of B14's on eBay for a steal so I snapped them up without thinking. Tom phoned this morning to say there was a bit a mess up and his last set had been used, but he had some more on order from Bilstein. While he was on I asked him if he had the spacers for the rear, we ended up having a chat Top bloke by the way) and he said he'd throw in the spacers, and some used good condition top mounts and bearings.

i'm away until Sept so might not see them till I get back, but all being well i'll be a bit happier in my daily drive, if not a little sick knowing there is German parts on my car! If nothing else at least I'll be able to give a direct comparison between the B14's and Meisters for daily driving.
Lucked in there imo, Bilsteins are very very good coilovers and you wont be disappointed. Many have used the b14's on here and loved them, one of the best setup's for the DC5 especially for mainly road use :)

If you have camber arms and bolts already you will still see circa 1.5-2 degrees at the front and whatever you set the rear too and the joy on bilstein is the use of oem topmounts which are cheap and easy to replace with the suspension still on the car (done mine recently on the B16's) without removing the shocks or altering the geo. My geo guy came to check and everything was still as before.

Look forward to your updates

Crackfox

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Lucked in there imo, Bilsteins are very very good coilovers and you wont be disappointed. Many have used the b14's on here and loved them, one of the best setup's for the DC5 especially for mainly road use :)

If you have camber arms and bolts already you will still see circa 1.5-2 degrees at the front and whatever you set the rear too and the joy on bilstein is the use of oem topmounts which are cheap and easy to replace with the suspension still on the car (done mine recently on the B16's) without removing the shocks or altering the geo. My geo guy came to check and everything was still as before.

Look forward to your updates
Cheers mate. Fingers crossed. It's going to be a long wait until sept.