Android Double Din Head Unit

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Hi all,

Some of you may know from previous posts of mine that I have had a Google Nexus 7 fitted to my DC5 for some time now. It's all wired up with amplifiers etc and has been working perfect for many years.

However, when it got to Xmas this year I had a look around for a stereo for the Mrs EP3 and came accross this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pumpkin-Capacitive-Multi-touch-Navigation-Bluetooth/dp/B00P7G82TS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451572371&sr=8-3&keywords=pumpkin+android

I ordered one and I must say I am very impressed!! Runs Android 4.4, has sat nav, dvd, reverse camera input, USB inputs, micro SD etc etc. Runs a Dual core 1.8Ghz processor with Mali400 GPU which is plenty fast enough and runs things like playstation emulator at full speed.

I was impressed I have now ordered the 6.95 inch version for myself and will be replacing my nexus tablet in the next few days.

Just though i'd post on here since I know I had a lot of interest when I fitted the tablet and this is just so much easier. Even has neat fetures such as animated Honda logo when it powers up. The one I linked to above has RGB LED's so you can change the colour to match the interior lights (The 6.9 inch version doesn't, they are blue).

Any questions just ask and I will do my best to answer.

Matt.

DC5RS

DC5
Was looking to buy with a mate one of these and the only thing that hold be back is that they all china made. If possible I would like one without that huge volume knob?

Very tempted to buy one now :)

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
So where is the OBD2 connector on the back? Presumably you can connect it to the car and run apps via play store to output sensor info etc?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
More importantly, what is your favourite Jennifer Lopez song? lol

Looks smart all the same, hate my Pioneer Appradio, it's dross. You also need a rooted phone for it to work, do you need a rooted Android for this to work?

DC5RS

DC5
coyote_dc5 said:
So where is the OBD2 connector on the back? Presumably you can connect it to the car and run apps via play store to output sensor info etc?
Probably the obd goes to the car and via bluetooth to the radio apps

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
First impressions are very good.

Needs much time to get it customised to how I want, and I'm already contemplating a 3G card to get it online.

Performance is better than expected, and screen resolution is more than good enough, any higher and you'd probably start to struggle to use it while driving. Love the amount of accessory inputs, 2usb slots, a micro SD slot and a cd slot should more than satisfy the majority of users!

Very happy.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
I have mine fitted now too. Have bluetooth OBD2 connector and running Torque on the headunit. Swapped out the default launcher for the Google Now launcher so I could customise it a bit more. Have ordered the DAB module for it to see what that is like too.

Only thing it could really do with is a button to dim the screen, but tagain I have got around this with an app off the store which automatically dims it at sunset and brightens it at sunrise. Thats the best thing about it running on Android, anything you don't like just change it :)

Matt.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Slightly irritating that it doesn't have a g sensor, or torque would be more useful. I'm on now launcher too, using widgets for radio changes etc.

For the money, this is still very very impressive! Few slight niggles, but nothing major!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Croccy said:
I have mine fitted now too. Have bluetooth OBD2 connector and running Torque on the headunit. Swapped out the default launcher for the Google Now launcher so I could customise it a bit more. Have ordered the DAB module for it to see what that is like too.

Only thing it could really do with is a button to dim the screen, but tagain I have got around this with an app off the store which automatically dims it at sunset and brightens it at sunrise. Thats the best thing about it running on Android, anything you don't like just change it :)

Matt.
What is a DAB module?

hondaft

Advanced Member
I have one of these:
https://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/Android-Car-GPS/GA2114.html

Mine is basically the quad core version of yours, all these come from the same manufacturer and have slight changes depending on the resellers.

There's good custom roms and info on getting root etc on XDA if you're wanting to do any of that. I've had mine for about 3 or 4 months and it's been really good, few small bugs but you kind of expect that from chinese software. I run mine with a 3G dongle as well, its a great unit especially for the price. I've also written an app for mine that forwards messages from my phone to the headunit and displays them in a nice UI that gives me options to send a full reply, template message or call them back, let me know if you want me to send you the info.

Here's the section over at XDA:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
DC5RS said:
Any news with this? still liking it?
Still 100% happy.

If I had one criticism over a 'normal' unit, is that it takes a minute to turn on.

Otherwise, chuffed. Could be tempted for custom rom as above too :)

DC5RS

DC5
Johngreen537 said:
Still 100% happy.

If I had one criticism over a 'normal' unit, is that it takes a minute to turn on.

Otherwise, chuffed. Could be tempted for custom rom as above too :)

I saw the romantic bit you posted :p ahhaha you really love dont you?