Android Double Din Head Unit

CW05TEG

Advanced Member
How are you guys finding these android head units?

I'm thinking about buying one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201847492909?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l6345&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI201847492909.N101.S2.R1.TR1&autorefresh=true

Seems very cheap for what it can do, but I'm not sure if some of these Chinese brands are better than others? I'd rather pay a bit more if it's going to last longer or has better build/sound quality. Also do they accept Android OS updates just the same as Android phones do? Android 7.0 has just been released so just wondering if it could be updated later down the line. And has anybody fitted the reversing camera? If so, where did you mount it and how do you wire it in so it flicks on automatically when reverse is engaged?

Any help is appreciated chaps!

Chris

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Had my Pumpkin one for ages now and not had any issues with it. Even the support has been good when requesting updates to their apps etc. Got one in the dc5 and one in the ep3 and both have been perfect.

CW05TEG

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
Mine went Pete tong after a while. Radio stopped receiving, and amp seemed to go crap.

Replacement is this. Best of all worlds. Phone app turns your phone into the radio interface on connection. You can use basic functions without phone, but with you can use all phone functions, nav, music, apps, etc etc etc

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xsp-n1bt

And I paid £70 as a refurb on eBay :)
That looks like an interesting option, never seen them before. A quick search on eBay brings up the refurbished ones which as you say, seem very good value for money.

What phone do you use with it? Does it plug in via the phones micro USB charging/data port?

I must admit I like the idea of having reputable components and more to the point, a half decent Amp. The Chinese ones only seem to be 45w whereas the Sony is 55w. Without a standalone amplifier I have found this can make quite a difference on previous setups.

Edit: sorry just realised it automatically connects via BT. Should have read it properly haha

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
I use my Google pixel. There's an integrated mag charger for some older Sony phones, but all the connectivity is done over Bluetooth, so as long as it will fit in the gap, it's fine.

Sony app available on play store, not sure about apple tho.

The bad reviews about it being fiddly and messy menus are all actually correct, but as soon as you connect your phone, they are also irrelevant as the options are all in the app.

Certainly not as flashy looking as some of the newer ones, but given I can use everything I already have on my phone, I overlooked flash. :)

Very impressive for the pittance of the price.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

CW05TEG

Advanced Member
It does sound like a good alternative to be fair. My one and only gripe however is not the head unit but my phone itself - I have a HTC One A9 which although is a relatively decent phone, the battery life is shocking and needs constant charging when using GPS or streaming. That means I would have to have a wire dangling out the side while it's cradled in the head unit which is what I don't like about my current HU. Just looks a bit untidy. I still have a year or so on the contract so realistically I think I'd be better off with a system that can take care of all that on its own. Still undecided though and I think I'll have a look at more options before jumping in.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
My Eonon one is superb, never fails me and works better than expected tbh. Robin are a good brand who now make straight oem fitment stereos for many new more common cars.

Id recommend their stereos mate

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
CW05TEG said:
It does sound like a good alternative to be fair. My one and only gripe however is not the head unit but my phone itself - I have a HTC One A9 which although is a relatively decent phone, the battery life is shocking and needs constant charging when using GPS or streaming. That means I would have to have a wire dangling out the side while it's cradled in the head unit which is what I don't like about my current HU. Just looks a bit untidy. I still have a year or so on the contract so realistically I think I'd be better off with a system that can take care of all that on its own. Still undecided though and I think I'll have a look at more options before jumping in.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FPOXKQG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_-1cczbXDP8M7V

I bought one of these exactly for the untidy cable reason ;)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Baldilocks

THREAD RESURRECTION!

To those who've had Android headunits for a few years, how are they now? A couple of my mates are trying to talk me away from these types of Chinese manufactured units with Android firmware due to becoming slow/redundant after a couple of short years.

I have been looking at the following unit, which is now running octa-core (Allwinner T8 processor - anyone know much about these?), 2GB DDR3 RAM, 16GB ROM and Android Oreo 8.1: http://xtrons.co.uk/tr771l-android-8-1-octa-core-7-smart-multimedia-player.html

Requirements for my application are as follows:

- Double DIN touch screen
- Solid physical volume control wheel (ever tried turning volume/up down on a full touch screen whilst in VTEC..? :twisted: )
- On-board SD or USB slot for storing music without need for a mobile phone/MP3 player
- On-board GPS or offline maps, for satnav without needing a 3G/4G contract or mobile phone
- Optional dash and rear facing cameras
- OBD II output, for handy readouts on track
- Phone mirroring. For anything else..!

Any and all thoughts much appreciated, before I take the plunge (after payday..!)

Chances are, after my headunit is a bit beefier than the POS I currently have, I'll look to upgrade the speakers too - That'll be another thread for another day..!

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Baldilocks said:
THREAD RESURRECTION!

To those who've had Android headunits for a few years, how are they now? A couple of my mates are trying to talk me away from these types of Chinese manufactured units with Android firmware due to becoming slow/redundant after a couple of short years.

I have been looking at the following unit, which is now running octa-core (Allwinner T8 processor - anyone know much about these?), 2GB DDR3 RAM, 16GB ROM and Android Oreo 8.1: http://xtrons.co.uk/tr771l-android-8-1-octa-core-7-smart-multimedia-player.html

Requirements for my application are as follows:

- Double DIN touch screen
- Solid physical volume control wheel (ever tried turning volume/up down on a full touch screen whilst in VTEC..? :twisted: )
- On-board SD or USB slot for storing music without need for a mobile phone/MP3 player
- On-board GPS or offline maps, for satnav without needing a 3G/4G contract or mobile phone
- Optional dash and rear facing cameras
- OBD II output, for handy readouts on track
- Phone mirroring. For anything else..!

Any and all thoughts much appreciated, before I take the plunge (after payday..!)

Chances are, after my headunit is a bit beefier than the POS I currently have, I'll look to upgrade the speakers too - That'll be another thread for another day..!
Mines going well and working asnit should and I‘ve had no issues at all. The only thing that‘s stopped working is my obd2 reader (not sure if it‘s the adapter or head unit at fault as not looked into it yet), remains going to check for me when he does my remap ans afr run soon.

Baldilocks

carl hammond said:
Mines going well and working asnit should and I‘ve had no issues at all. The only thing that‘s stopped working is my obd2 reader (not sure if it‘s the adapter or head unit at fault as not looked into it yet), remains going to check for me when he does my remap ans afr run soon.
Good to hear! To be honest I think I‘m just going to do it.. but current one is so bad it can‘t be any worse!

I‘d try a different reader on yours, did yours come with a preloaded OBD2 app or did you install torque?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Good to hear! To be honest I think I‘m just going to do it.. but current one is so bad it can‘t be any worse!

I‘d try a different reader on yours, did yours come with a preloaded OBD2 app or did you install torque?
Hi mate yeah I need to try it with another, this is what Romain will be doing for me whilst mapping the car (well checking the Map), the headunit came with Torque pre-loaded on it mate

However if it's the headunit at fault I wont bother changing it as everything else works a treat and I want some dials installed to be better and more accurate as on track I have the system turned off to prevent me getting distracted at all

ste01

Advanced Member
I've got a Sony XAV in the daily and a Eonon GPS/Reverse Cam in the teg. I'd honestly go for an android over one of the mainstream brands these days. As long as you go for a well known android one with plenty of decent reviews it'll be fine and probably save some money