Anglesey - October 2nd

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Ive finally bit the bullet and have booked my first ever trackday! Will likely be my only one for a while, can't wait!

Anyone else fancy it? It's with Javelin on Tuesday Oct 2nd at Anglesey Circuit.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Ive finally bit the bullet and have booked my first ever trackday! Will likely be my only one for a while, can't wait!

Anyone else fancy it? It's with Javelin on Tuesday Oct 2nd at Anglesey Circuit.
Glad to hear it mate, you will see what the car's really like then as on the roads they just aren't showing their true potential as the road surfaces suck so much (well around here anyway)

The one thing I found was my many years away from the scene didn't take me away from wanting to track the car and now I have I think I could be turning it that way only, if not may sell up and buy something else for that use.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Definetely, I don't think these cars are suited to roads and I am lucky in that I have some very good roads nearby but the car is too bouncy.

I think on a nice flat surface such as track it should be a lot better, really looking forward to seeing how the car feels and how my driving is at speed.

I'm both excited and nervous at the same time lol. Who's the best company to go for track insurance?

Just want to get some taken out to be on the safe side that's all.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Definetely, I don't think these cars are suited to roads and I am lucky in that I have some very good roads nearby but the car is too bouncy.

I think on a nice flat surface such as track it should be a lot better, really looking forward to seeing how the car feels and how my driving is at speed.

I'm both excited and nervous at the same time lol. Who's the best company to go for track insurance?

Just want to get some taken out to be on the safe side that's all.
I always use Morris mate as they have a good reputation and their excess is generally lower :)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I always use Morris mate as they have a good reputation and their excess is generally lower :)
Thanks Carl, I'll go with Morris then bud nice one.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Awesome mate nice one!! Are you getting tuition? Hey I'll see you tomorrow Zac, will be a right laugh ha ha ha ha!

zacho

Advanced Member
Yea man looking forward haha! No i did consider it but thought i'd just read up on what i could and get near to the front on the sighting laps to check out the lines etc then just take it steady to get into it.. are you doing it? Did you get a garage? Fingers crossed for the weather

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Ha ha ha me too! I'm cacking myself a bit if truth be told. It's an easy circuit to spectate but I don't think it's the easiest to drive, I've been passenger a few times but it's exciting.

Yes I've opted for tuition but I'm sure you'll be fine without it! You can always book tomorrow morning when you get there.

But yes should be good, glad another owner is on there too mate! Ha ha ha! What time you getting there for? I should be there just after 7. No not booked a garage, have you?

zacho

Advanced Member
It looks great, have been round as a passenger. Can't wait, should suit our cars.
I'm aiming to be there around 7:45 ish, how about you?
Didnt get a garage but would have asked if you wanted to share one at £15 each had i found out earlier! Next time though mate.
Cars all set now.
See you in the morning!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Ha ha ha Zac and I both survived lol. I'll post properly tomorrow as I'm watching the football at the moment lol.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hey guys, I imagine Zac will respond himself at some point.

I've managed to get my first trackday out of the way but I'm a bit disappointed with how the day went overall. It was ok in places and I felt confident and comfortable with the car for a tad just before lunch as I had a lot of the track to myself but overall it was too busy and I spent most of the day pulling over to the right to let quicker cars go through.

Although the engine felt strong and the car went well, it just didn't feel right handling or brake wise all day. I've butchered the hell out of the tyres which is frustrating and also towards the end of the day the right front just didn't feel right but it was fun all the same and a good experience.

I've been speaking to Carl Hammond who reckons the tyres have had an impact on the day and the RE070's just couldn't seem to hold on for long enough. I could barely get more than 4 laps out of them before having to come in which was frustrating and they've been cut up badly and also loads of burnt on rubber is smoothering them but I've had them checked by a tyre place and they're seemingly ok and not illegal, the rears seem more cut up which is odd.

I've obviously been recommended to upgrade the tyres which I will and they will be going to AD08R's at some point but not yet. So yeah, a frustrating day all round really but it was a good experience.

I think next time I do one if I can afford it I will get some separate alloys with some R888's on them, ideally a BBK and possibly a suspension refresh as I think the OEM dampers have seen better days but it is what it is.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Hey guys, I imagine Zac will respond himself at some point.

I've managed to get my first trackday out of the way but I'm a bit disappointed with how the day went overall. It was ok in places and I felt confident and comfortable with the car for a tad just before lunch as I had a lot of the track to myself but overall it was too busy and I spent most of the day pulling over to the right to let quicker cars go through.

Although the engine felt strong and the car went well, it just didn't feel right handling or brake wise all day. I've butchered the hell out of the tyres which is frustrating and also towards the end of the day the right front just didn't feel right but it was fun all the same and a good experience.

I've been speaking to Carl Hammond who reckons the tyres have had an impact on the day and the RE070's just couldn't seem to hold on for long enough. I could barely get more than 4 laps out of them before having to come in which was frustrating and they've been cut up badly and also loads of burnt on rubber is smoothering them but I've had them checked by a tyre place and they're seemingly ok and not illegal, the rears seem more cut up which is odd.

I've obviously been recommended to upgrade the tyres which I will and they will be going to AD08R's at some point but not yet. So yeah, a frustrating day all round really but it was a good experience.

I think next time I do one if I can afford it I will get some separate alloys with some R888's on them, ideally a BBK and possibly a suspension refresh as I think the OEM dampers have seen better days but it is what it is.
Hi mate it's a shame a day felt pants in places but these things happen, it's all a learning curve. Until I put the DC5 on track this year I had taken a pretty long time off from trackdays and now regret doing that. Every session differs to the last and the more you do the more confident you will be (age however like in my case) has impacted on my guts in cornering at times, I remember being fearless, now I get the odd moment of (what if)....

I think as you're running braided lines, and PBS pads (I believe), the lack of brake feel etc has been caused by the tyres failing you, RE070 I have never used on track (only ever had those/similar Bridgestones as road tyres which they are great for), but on a track the temps the track generates and puts through them is not even close to a road and it wont take long for them to max out and fail and cause braking to be worse and handling also.

The shocks could be fine as could the bushes and everything could be down to the tyres. A BBK would be an upgrade but until you max out the oem calipers with a decent fluid, disc and pad setup I think it'd be a waste of money, I know many people running and who have run oem calipers and never had any fade or issues but this could also be down to how and when they use the brakes. Personally I have yet to experience any issues and I am using a setup I was worried about (Hel Lines, RBF 660 fluid, OEM discs and Dixel ES Pads all-round, this could be down to only doing brands in it and I know the track well, or it could be the ES pads are better than some said. On the road they were poor, they really do need some heat in them and I have no doubt there are much better pads but they are deff reliable and take abuse and for the cost they are good.

As said hopefully we can arrange a day to meet and do a session together and if you've not get tyres on early next year or for the next session you do then feel free to bolt my track wheels on with my track tyres and see how it goes as it's not like it'll half their life etc and not like im not going to kill them anyway :)

I would say AD08R's if being used on the road and track or R888R's or similar if separate wheels for track only. I went AD08R's for the price and to see if I was happy with the car's setup and I got them silly cheap.

Other option would be Showa Mugen shocks to put your spoon springs on (add that little extra drop in height and stiffness) or coilovers. For the money I would say the shocks as you're looking to enjoy it for as cheap as poss and they are a great upgrade.

Will have a look at your clips soon mate

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Thanks mate for the detailed reply and for all your help.

I know we've discussed it before but I do think you could be right and that is that the tyres are letting the overall experience down. The tyres don't feel great again today and the car feels a tad skittish and that's in the dry so I've a horrible feeling I may need to ditch the RE070's for some fresh rubber soon. :(

Bit annoying as they've not been on the car that long but if they need changing then I will have to do it. I think going forward I might book the car in with Stevie at Grinspeed and for him to check the suspension components etc just for peace of mind and to ensure nothing is damaged, if so I will replace it.

I've kind of got the bug for doing another trackday now which I didn't have a few days ago as I was left frustrated a tad and a little disappointed.

As above, next steps are to get the components checked - get some better tread and then see how the brakes hold up again on another trackday and then if the car still isn't right then something else may need changing but if I can get away with not having to replace some components that would be ideal.

I'm not really keen on Anglesey again as it's wrecked my tyres and although it's a nice circuit there's not much of an opportunity to really open the car up. Wouldn't mind doing Oulton or Brands next time.

I'm in the process of moving house so money is a bit tight at the moment but I'm going to see what I can do about getting another day under my belt next year mate so perhaps a meet of some kind would be good. Thank you for the kind offer of use of your trackday tyres as well mate, appreciate it.