Another drop in cam thread

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Hey

I realise there is a bunch or info in the search thread but nothing on if the lower price drop in skunk 2 or drag cartel cams etc are going to produce results like the tdi drop in's? Anyone know or tried any of the cheaper ones? Or is it a pay for what you get situation

Any help welcome

Gareth

Liam

Advanced Member
I am considering this for next year.

The research I've done so far seems to suggest most, if not all K20 "drop in cams" are no different to the OEM Honda ones on the low cam lobe. The differences are on the high cam lobe, so expect all the gains to be mid range/ top end.

The Drag Cartel DICs (supposedly made by Brian Crower?) are meant to be a good shout but apparently a slight increase in valve train noise is normal? The TDI North cams are actually made by Piper. I was told by TDI to expect approx 10bhp at the fly gain with their cams or the Drag Cartel DICs after mapping.

From what I can gather, 410cc injectors will be required and potentially an uprated fuel pump, but the fuel pump may only apply to kswaps and I've got my wires crossed. Don't have any info to offer regarding the Skunk2 cams.

Keep us updated with your findings :)

Gareth88

Advanced Member
I think tdi north now only make the stage two cams which have a larger lobe on the low cam which gave about 10lbft of torque increase on standard cam on the two dyno graphs I've found. Potentially may have a set to play with soon =]

carl hammond

Advanced Member
How much are these drop in cams and are they all that's needed or are other modifications to the engine required at the same time?

Gareth88

Advanced Member
No that's without i think it depends on the power your car ends up making as to the injectors requirement

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Finally got everything fitted and mapped today and I‘m quite happy with the result

Mods -

TDI North Stage 2 DIC‘s
Solid fabrications big bore manifold
Solid fabrications 3inch exhaust
Mugen intake
J‘s Racing scoop
RRC manifold ported to 70mm
Skunk 2 70mm throttle body
K100

End result was 257bhp

Chewy

Advanced Member
Gareth88 said:
End result was 257bhp
Great spec and results, glad you're happy with them.

257bhp seems a little lower than I personally would have believed this set up to make... I understand they're only numbers at the end of the day. As long as it feels good :)

I noticed how there's no mention of the injectors changing, was anything mentioned about this by TDI, like recommendation to upgrade as the OEM's would be at the cycle limit?

What sort of torque figures are you seeing now, Do you have the graph at all?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to piece together bits and bobs in my mind. TDI North mapped mine with Titan ITB's, Japspeed manifold and 2.5 Catback and it made 254bhp/174ftlb, it's my understanding the manifold isn't the greatest flowing which is marginally limiting torque, and the 2.5" catback wouldn't yield quite as high top end 'numbers' as a 3" would.

I'm just trying to fathom If I'm overlooking anything, Mugen intake perhaps not providing sufficient airflow/volume?

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Hey

It wasn‘t actually done by TDI; I just bought the cams and had TGM fit them and Romain map it at Surrey Rolling Road.... so I‘m not actually sure what it would make at TDI

I was recommended to change the intake to the inzgen cold air one but I live in an area prone to flooding so I‘ve stuck with the mugen.

Tom and Romain seemed to think the injectors were coping so I didn‘t change them

Torque was 170lbft

Chewy

Advanced Member
Gareth88 said:
Hey

It wasn‘t actually done by TDI; I just bought the cams and had TGM fit them and Romain map it at Surrey Rolling Road.... so I‘m not actually sure what it would make at TDI

I was recommended to change the intake to the inzgen cold air one but I live in an area prone to flooding so I‘ve stuck with the mugen.

Tom and Romain seemed to think the injectors were coping so I didn‘t change them

Torque was 170lbft
Perfect, That explains that then, Just ignore me, Haha!

I assumed you had got it mapped at TDI which is why I was so baffled.

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Chewy said:
Great spec and results, glad you're happy with them.

257bhp seems a little lower than I personally would have believed this set up to make... I understand they're only numbers at the end of the day. As long as it feels good :)

I noticed how there's no mention of the injectors changing, was anything mentioned about this by TDI, like recommendation to upgrade as the OEM's would be at the cycle limit?

What sort of torque figures are you seeing now, Do you have the graph at all?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to piece together bits and bobs in my mind. TDI North mapped mine with Titan ITB's, Japspeed manifold and 2.5 Catback and it made 254bhp/174ftlb, it's my understanding the manifold isn't the greatest flowing which is marginally limiting torque, and the 2.5" catback wouldn't yield quite as high top end 'numbers' as a 3" would.

I'm just trying to fathom If I'm overlooking anything, Mugen intake perhaps not providing sufficient airflow/volume?
Sorry for the delay; heres the graph

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Romain mapped mine with similar mods and i made 256bhp.
Gruppe m.. 70mm throttle body.. rbc.. toda a3 cams.. solid fab manifold and 2.5 inch exhaust + kpro

Gareth88

Advanced Member
bxlyheathsupra said:
Romain mapped mine with similar mods and i made 256bhp.
Gruppe m.. 70mm throttle body.. rbc.. toda a3 cams.. solid fab manifold and 2.5 inch exhaust + kpro
Do you still have the Dyno print out? I‘d Be interested to compare them

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
I can dig it out.. torque was pretty flat really, kinda pulls from and rev any gear and the vtec cutover is smooth just feels like a free revving n/a without any extras if you get what i mean

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Any recommendations if you wanted to go a step further and upgrade the valvetrain for more aggressive cams?

Gareth88

Advanced Member
TDI say you can do this as the cams I had fitted will rev out a little more than the oem ones but I didn‘t do this which is a bit of a regret...But that said it‘s also upping the cost; if I‘d have done this I may as well have gone for some more agreesive cams I think.
Someone will pop up with more knowledge of the more aggressive side of things

Kenz

Advanced Member
I‘d look at upgrading the oil pump if your wanting to go over 9k rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeri de sutter

Finally got everything fitted and mapped today and I‘m quite happy with the result

Mods -

TDI North Stage 2 DIC‘s
Solid fabrications big bore manifold
Solid fabrications 3inch exhaust
Mugen intake
J‘s Racing scoop
RRC manifold ported to 70mm
Skunk 2 70mm throttle body
K100

End result was 257bhp
Hi gareth,
I had simular mods on my FN2 back in 2017 only difference is that i had tdi north stage 1 DIC's.
Hub dyno : 266.7bhp compared to my brother's EP3 248bhp ( the same day ) with simular boltons but stock cams.

Now i want to use these cams in my dc5 and by chance i have the exact same setup as yours!

But i'm not sure if i can safely go up to 50 ° VTC with these cams ?

This wasn't a problem with my fn2, But now with the k20a's higher compression jdm pistons i'm not sure.
I have tried to contact TDI north but haven't got an answer yet.

Going on the rollers on june 5th.