Another oil thread...

Reggie91

Advanced Member
So TGM changed my oil a few months ago when fitting my baffled sump to petronas syntium racer x1 10w-60. Tom said this might be better if I was doing track driving?

I'm about to order some more oil but wanted to know if there was anyone else using the same? As I know most people are using 5w-40 (millers, titan, shell).

Torque GT

Parts Trader
This is a long and complicated subject, put to put it simply;

10 is the temp range. The lower this number, the better the oil will be at cold start and the faster it will circulate. The 60 is the oils ability to flow and lubricate at a certain temp range. The higher this number, the higher it's optimal temp range.

10W60 will be thicker and won't flow as well from cold compared to a 5w40, but will handle higher temps much better. Tom's thinking here is that you'll be ringing the car around a track, so you want an oil with a much higher operating temperature as you'll be running the car much hotter.

The trade off will be that you should allow the car to thoroughly warm up before driving it hard, but that's a good habit to be in regardless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5a4kP-5Jiw

If you plan on doing loads of hard track days, 10W60 will be great. If you only plan on doing one or two and spend the rest of the time driving the car to work or the shops, with the occasional spirited drive, go with a 5w40.

Hope that helps!

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Ah thanks for explaining. Only reason why I asked was I had a search and couldn't find anyone else using 10w-60

Torque GT

Parts Trader
Most people use the DC5 as a daily car with some spirited driving thrown in, so a 5w40 is ideal. If you're using it as a regular track car then a 10w50/60 would be great.

Either way, it's personal preference. Providing you allow the car to warm up before giving it the berries, you'll be fine.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Ah okay. Thanks for explaining.

A heads up for anyone looking for oil. Euro Car Parts has 35% of until Sunday. Code: MID35

Cennix1

Thanks for explaining that Josh, always wondered but never bothered to look it up! At least now I know I've got the right stuff in for sure :)

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
So TGM changed my oil a few months ago when fitting my baffled sump to petronas syntium racer x1 10w-60. Tom said this might be better if I was doing track driving?

I'm about to order some more oil but wanted to know if there was anyone else using the same? As I know most people are using 5w-40 (millers, titan, shell).
I use it all the time since having my dc5.. I do do a lot of trackdays and i never move my car off my driveway until my car is warmed up proper, but i also change my oil after each trackday :xyes:... I also go to TGM..

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I also use 10w60 and have done for at least 10 years.

You‘ll find most of the 5w40 Titan recommends are regurgitated forum information.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
What about 10w 40 for a daily drive that doesn't see much track action?
Bit thick mate really. Stick 5-40 unless you are burning a lot. If it's a daily driver the 5w will better protect while it's warming up in the winter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
Bit thick mate really. Stick 5-40 unless you are burning a lot. If it's a daily driver the 5w will better protect while it's warming up in the winter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Great stuff, thanks John for the advice bud.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hello,

I changed my oil about 6 months ago, possibly a tad longer and have done one trackday since.

I think my gearbox oil may need changing so was contemplating changing the engine oil at the same time. Will the engine oil that's already in the car be sufficient for a while yet do you think guys?

It's decent oil - Gulf Competition fully Ester based so I'm thinking it should do for a while yet?

bmargey

What colour is your oil when checking? I usually wouldn't bother unless it's darkened a fair bit.

Just got to bear in mind, the only thing an early oil change will hurt is your wallet ;)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
bmargey said:
What colour is your oil when checking? I usually wouldn't bother unless it's darkened a fair bit.

Just got to bear in mind, the only thing an early oil change will hurt is your wallet ;)
It's getting darker but not too bad. I'm just keeping it topped up at the moment. I'll leave it for a few months and then I'll get it changed again. Cheers for the advice.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Ah thanks for explaining. Only reason why I asked was I had a search and couldn't find anyone else using 10w-60
Mark Khan and a few others use TGM supplied 10/60. I supplied my own oil and will only go from the 5/40 to their 10/60 when my car becomes a more dedicated track/competition car.

No harm in either just if you run 5/40 on track then have a top up just in case and keep an eye on it. Mines not used any on track when using 5/40 and I use Nanodrive NT+ which is recommended as below:

" Fully Synthetic Triple Ester Nano Technology ultra low friction formulation. Suitable for fast road/street modified engines, race, rally, sprints and hill climbs. Ideal for engines with hydraulic tappets e.g. Ford Zetec. Ultra low friction nano technology successfully proven in motorcycles with wet clutches.

For competition or modified engines where maximum power release is the preferred criteria. Formulated for high revving engines used in circuit racing or for larger engines for short duration i.e. hill climbs and sprints. Also suitable for fast road or track day use, especially in engines where a 5w30 is normally specified. Suitable for operating at 125°C with peak temperatures up to 150°C. "