Anyone fitted a Spoon rear strut bar

Si

Parts Trader
Brought a Front upper, lower one today (also a Spoon filter too!) and a rear tower bar, I thought this would be a easy fit - just like the DC2 one.

Do you have make holes in the side trim too make it fit? In the Spoon catalog it doesnt show a photo of it in the DC5. She doesnt wanna drive about in it without all the trim either!

mikegsi

Staff member
you have to make holes and remove the stock one to get it to fit.

it is a lot lighter than the oem one and offers a bit more flex, look smint when its in though, doesnt sit too high or get in the way.

Si

Parts Trader
Cant recall seeing a oem one in there.... we took the spare wheel out and didnt see another brace?

Si

Parts Trader
But we were not looking for one tho? I guess theres a stock one at the rear of the boot just like the DC2 :?:

Evs

Advanced Member
The Spoon part is just a direct replacement for the OEM one, you don't need to cut or modify anything. The tops of the strut towers sit a lot lower in the DC5 than they do in the DC2, and much further forward. The brace goes across at the bottom of the back seats, not really 'in' the boot space across the wheel arches as in the DC2. Just peel the front of the boot carpet off the back of the rear seats at the bottom and you should be able to see it.

AFAIK there's no brace across the very back like there was in the DC2, but then the DC5 chassis actually seems to have some stiffness about it as standard... :lol:

Si

Parts Trader
Evs said:
The Spoon part is just a direct replacement for the OEM one, you don't need to cut or modify anything. The tops of the strut towers sit a lot lower in the DC5 than they do in the DC2, and much further forward. The brace goes across at the bottom of the back seats, not really 'in' the boot space across the wheel arches as in the DC2. Just peel the front of the boot carpet off the back of the rear seats at the bottom and you should be able to see it.

AFAIK there's no brace across the very back like there was in the DC2, but then the DC5 chassis actually seems to have some stiffness about it as standard... :lol:
I guess I was expecting it to be just like the DC2 one and stick out in the centre across the boot... I'll have a better look in the morning :D

Thanks both of you 8) 8)

User

Advanced Member
Yep, I've got the same rear brace - it tucks away under the carpet and under the interior trim nicely.

System-R fitted mine, they also noticed a strengthening bracket loose so that was a result - I'd been getting a creaking noise from the back for months, couldnt find out what it was.

It was worth the money just to kill that bloody creaking noise!

Si

Parts Trader
I have found the bar you all speak off... under the carpet in the boot..... but this spoon one comes with clamps to fix it on to of the rear wheel struts.....

Maybe I was right in the first place.... #-o but it needs bo be fitted with the side trim off.. or holes cut in it...

Si

Parts Trader
nope... i wasnt...

:D just had a look at the SSEL website and looked at their race prep one...

mikegsi

Staff member
Si said:
it needs bo be fitted with the side trim off.. or holes cut in it...

thats how mine is fitted, when you pop the sides off you'll see that the bar in the centre is also attached to the strut tops, which need to be removed to get the spoon one in

andyd

Advanced Member

Its connect to the wish bones of the car.........

Plus it does bugger all, just looks nice from behind...

Andy

Si

Parts Trader
Thanks for the help... I will get round too fitting the other bars in a few days.... (dam work and dark evenings:wink: )

The lower one (still to fit) is decribed as a front bar... looks same as the rear one. I'll get some photos up when I fit them :D