ARC Intake/Super Induction Box - Split Weld Prevention.

Chewy

Advanced Member
G'day fellow DC5 enthusiasts,

I'll apologize in advance for my ramblings...

As well all know the ARC intake suffers from the welds splitting due to stress/vibrations on the mounting points.

Having an ARC with split welds myself, the usual 'adding rubber washers' method wasn't going to cut the mustard when it came to getting it re-welded and throwing it back in the bay.

So I thought I'd share my attempt at preventing this from happening again.

Looked around for different ideas on how to reduce the stress/vibrations until I found what I believe to be the best solution with the least amount of effort required.

I came across some male to male anti vibration stud mounts which are mainly used for industrial air conditioning units and the likes... to stop them shaking themselves to bits, See where I'm going?

Part details;

Studs: Paulstra 521249 Shock Mount M6 35daN 3mm Male to Male Natural Rubber
Part Number: 254-7488 (See pictures to confirm this is exact one I used, Part dimensions can be found on the website below)
Cost: £2.41 each (3 required)
Purchased from: http://uk.rs-online.com ( free next day delivery on all orders which is a real bonus, obviously these could be sourced from somewhere else, but this is the place I used )

I chose these as they just replace the original ARC mounting bolts and can be used with the original brackets without having to modify them, so no messing about required.

What you'll need;

x3 Paulstra 254-7488 male to male anti vibration studs
x3 Washers to fit over M6 threads
x3 M6 Nuts

Here's some pictures to give you a better idea;

Here's the anti vibration stud bolted onto one of the ARC mounting points

Confirmation of the part number for the studs used on the original packaging;

Installation is straight forward, follow the usual 'How to' for fitting the ARC ( There's plenty of guides about for this ) but I just put all of the brackets loosely bolted into the engine bay ready, screwed all 3 of the anti-vibration studs into the ARC box mounting points while it's off the car and then just position the ARC box with the threads through the brackets, pop a washer on and the nut and bobs your uncle.

As you can see here, Stud directly screwed into the ARC, then through the bracket, washer for added support and nut.

Top tip!: If you use locking nuts like i did, you'll find when trying to tighten the nut on the stud, the stud will start to twist/flex preventing you from tightening...So you may find you need to support the rubber knuckle gently with some grips or pliers just so you can tighten the nut without forcing/twisting the rubber.

There's a nice bit of flex in the knuckle to help dampen the vibrations, and once the silicone hose is attached the ARC still sits firmly in place despite it technically just floating in the bay.

One thing to note, due to the sizing of the studs/their flexibility we found the back of the ARC occasionally fouled on the air-con pipe (Similar to what happens when you try and fit one in an EP3) not a massive issue as a bit of foam/tape around the contact area on the pipe sorts that right out, It's still worth mentioning to anyone tempted to give it a go.

It's been on the car for a little over 3 months now and all is looking well so far, studs are holding up well and not a peep form the ARC. Lets hope this is one way to help prolong the life of such a rare DC5 intake :)

Any questions please feel free to give me a shout!

rallye nick

Having my ARC refurbed at the moment and I'd looked over ordering some of these from a supplier at work! Also very common on lawn mower engines if that helps anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faith

Having my ARC refurbed at the moment and I'd looked over ordering some of these from a supplier at work! Also very common on lawn mower engines if that helps anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can i ask where you are getting yours refurbished?