Auctions

BL

Has anyone on here tries importing a DC5 themselves? ie without the use of an importer.

If so which auction did you use and what was their costs and their contact details.

Ive been offered a price from Japan but want to compare to see if there are greater savings to be made.

Thanks

Bob

Duncs

i fancy doing the same thing, i have a couple of friends who have done it a couple of times (Skylines), but beware the SVA rules have recently changed, i am still trying to find out if the car can be brought in if modified, i think if they were built after 98 then they have to be standard and have a current 'model report'. So not as easy as fetching in a FTO or EVO 4/5. i think it is still possible but they don'y make it easy !!!!

BL

Duncs

Let me know if you have any luck and maybe we can move on it together.

bob

nattcharles

You can't actually buy direct from Japanese auctions yourself. You need to use a Japanese intermediate because they have to be a registered trader with the auction houses. The best way to save money if you are going to do it yourself is to cut out the UK importer and deal with the Japanese exporter direct. Most UK importers will have plenty of Japanese contacts who can get the car for them which is why you pay the extra cash for their services. Its also a pain in the arse dealing with all the paper work you will have from start to finish bringing a car over and getting it road legal. I did it all my self up untill the actual ESVA test. The whole thing took about 3 months start to finish. There is only so much you can do yourself to save money before it just becomes too much of a hassle. The advantage of using a reputable importer is the experience and contacts they have where as if you have never brought a car in from Japan you may find all the red tape involved a little mind blowing.

Duncs

I understand is not easy or we would all do it but hey, i like a challenge !!!
I have been offered assistance with the paper work by somebody who has done it at least twice and has assisted others, and yes it can be a slow old process, but i really do fancy doing it myself. The test is the worst part, a bit of a leap into the unknown, it can depend on where the car goes to, too how it gets on. If it all looks too complicated then i will hand it over to an agent.