AVG 8.0

ReKo

Advanced Member
Seeing as AVG is so popular I'd imagine many of you will be tempted to upgrade from 7.5 to 8.0 soon.

Well if that is the case then please be aware that version 8.0 automatically installs various cpu hogs such as extended email scanning and live internet link scanning.
Since these can have an adverse affect on your PC (it certainly did on mine and about 90% of the internetz peepz) you can disable these functions via the components overview menu which, whilst improving performance, unfortunately also means you have to put up with the constant greyed-out-red-exclamation-marking stain of a icon on your system tray.

So to resolve:
If you wish to install AVG 8.0 Free Edition without the LinkScanner component, or uninstall this component from your program, please proceed as follows:

* Download the AVG 8.0 Free Edition installation package from our website.
* Run the installation with the parameters /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch. One way to achieve this is to:
o save the AVG Free installation file directly to disk C:\
o open menu Start -> Run
o type
c:\avg_free_stf_*.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch
* The installation will be started, and AVG will be installed without the LinkScanner component.
Note that the bold section must match the exact name of your installer file and there must also be a space after the .exe.

Whilst working you way through the installer you can then choose a custom install and then choose to unselect the email scanner and toolbar if you wish.

And there you have it - AVG 8.0 running smoothly without getting all Norton on you by constantly scanning everything you do and forcing you to install add-ons you don't need :D

mark type r

Advanced Member
It got me to do an upgrade and then i find out its only a demo???

Keep getting reminded that it runs out in 14 days!! :roll:

ReKo

Advanced Member
Sounds like you've installed either the Anti-Virus or the Internet Security version, both of which you need to pay for.

I vaguely remember the advert that came up in 7.5 lead you on to install the Anti-Virus version instead of the free one so maybe that's the case :x

Anyway if you need it then the free version of 8.0 can be found here.

mark type r

Advanced Member
ReKo said:
Sounds like you've installed either the Anti-Virus or the Internet Security version, both of which you need to pay for.

I vaguely remember the advert that came up in 7.5 lead you on to install the Anti-Virus version instead of the free one so maybe that's the case :x

Anyway if you need it then the free version of 8.0 can be found here.
Ta very muchly :wink:

drivebymonkey

Advanced Member
i think i remember when i installed it, it asked if i wanted the IE toolbar... im guessing if you dont install that you dont get the surf-sheild and other rubbish?

i personally did install the toolbar then promptly turned off the surf-shield cos i took about 4 years to load up google homepage!! :lol: