Baffled Oil Pans

swlabhot

Anybody know if there is anyone out there that can modify the stock oil pans (DC2 in particular as this is what I have). I can't justify the cost of buying a Mugen or Spoon one when its a fraction of a cost to have the oem one baffled.

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi,

I've been considering getting a baffled sump for mine too because I want to track with half slicks. I inquired at Barwell and the price scared me off. They offer to do an exchange for my sump and give me a modified stock one that a they weld bits too (£272 + VAT). The price of the exchange was as expensive as buying a brand new Spoon baffled sump from them but they claim theirs is superior. Ording from Taka Kaira looked like a cheaper option. Mardi Gras do an exchange on the K20A sump too but that looks quite a steep option too. What really scared me off was the labour to fit the thing. They said they would prefer to take the engine out to fit it hence we are talking about 4-5Hrs. Knowing that the engine would need to come out I thought I might as well go the whole hog and get the ports polished. The price started getting silly (£1500 + VAT) so I'm canning the idead for the moment. Having started reading up about port polishing I realise it's a big subject and needs a lot of research. It's also quite early days for the DC5 in this area. Your DC2 will already have been done by Honda at the factory. It's just us DC5 guys that don't have this. Barwell claim a good 20BHP is achievable by having this done.

For the moment I'm just going to keep the oil level to the max before track days, risk running half slicks and hope the engine can take the G's. It might be a cheaper option to get a baffled sump fitted for yours. Give Barwell or Mardi Gras a call.

Jon

swlabhot

Cheers Jonster.

I can't believe the price you were qouted! :shock: Its much cheaper to just get a Spoon one, plus I'll still have my old one. Think I'll just do that instead. Its annoying when I know inthe US they would do it for about USD60 with exchange :x . I mean after all, all they do is weld additional metal partitions to it. Daylight robbery if you asked me. The only reason I want to modify my existing one is because its already modified for the Turbo oil return so I don't mind modifying it further if it doesn't cost me an arm n leg. I don't really want to start drilling and welding a brand new Spoon pan for my turbo but I have no choice if I do go for one.

Rather be safe than sorry as a blown engine is $$$$ more than an oil pan :roll: I've tracked with road tyres and its fine on those. I'm just worried when I break more Gs with compound R tyres which I use for road as well at the moment and certainly when I have full slicks at a later date then it will become crucial.

Steve.

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
The DC2 sump, isnt an engine out job like the DC5 IIRC.
A DC2 running on slicks with a handy driver with out baffled sump = Kaboom on certain banked corners like at Rockingham, I wouldnt risk it.

The DC5's sump is better positioned and is far less lightly to do any damage.

I ran my EK9 on full race slicks for 30+ days on and off, no problems, but again the sump is better positioned

Having ran on slicks and road tyres you have way more fun on road tyres, ask Mike who was at Bedford yesterday, muchos fun :lol: