Best engine oil??

delsoljon86

Advanced Member
Hey guys I know there's so much out there related to this stuff but have searched and read so much I just need to make a decision. Am going with oem oil filter and oem spark plugs but with regards to oil have read many many variables.

5w-40 fully synthetic was my original plan but it has been mentioned by a number of people that 0w-30 is better for our colder weather here in the uk??

Thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spooke

Advanced Member
5w-40 is the OEM choice, TGM and a few guys on here are actually running 10w-60. I use Motul Sport Ester 5w-40 in mine.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I've been using Millers Nano Drive 5w-40 I don't think brand really matters as long as it's 5w-40 fully synthetic?

I would always stick to OEM specs on oil as Honda are the largest engine manufacture in the world so I'd trust their judgment on oil specification.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I found Shell Helix to make the engine on mine noisy but others swear by it and Shell have been around a long time.

I've also had Millers Nanodrive and it hardly used a drop but the best my K20 felt was with Titan Pro-S, slightly cheaper than the Millers too.

5w-40 as above.

ijlh

Advanced Member
Had 5w-40 in all my k20's for the last two and a half years, and have never needed to top it up once. All have been daily drivers throughout the entire year.

Torque GT

Parts Trader
Brand is a matter of opinion in reality. As long as it's 5w30 or 5w40 fully synth and is of a good quality (Fuchs, Millers, Shell, etc) then you'll be fine.

We keep a few types of Millers 5w40 fully synthetic in stock, along with HAMP filters.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I like to stick to OEM brand suppliers, such as Castrol, Petronas, Gulf etc. You know, the companies that supply the likes of BMW, Bugatti, Honda etc.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
What is it that Honda recommend ?
Not sure for the DC5, but I believe that the EP3 was 5w-30 Shell fully synthetic. Bearing in mind this was 2001 and oil technology has come on a long way.

masterjedijay

Advanced Member
As one of the high milers (coming up to 200k) and do over 20k a year I have been using Millers Nano 5w-40 for years and I think its the best. Engine is super quiet and still on original timing chain.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
masterjedijay said:
As one of the high milers (coming up to 200k) and do over 20k a year I have been using Millers Nano 5w-40 for years and I think its the best. Engine is super quiet and still on original timing chain.
Best according to what? Longevity of your engine or have you ever had the oil analysed?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Again to reiterate, brand isn't important however grade is. Just stick to a well known brand Shell, Millers etc etc.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

kyle'87

Advanced Member
delsoljon86 said:
Hey guys I know there's so much out there related to this stuff but have searched and read so much I just need to make a decision. Am going with oem oil filter and oem spark plugs but with regards to oil have read many many variables.

5w-40 fully synthetic was my original plan but it has been mentioned by a number of people that 0w-30 is better for our colder weather here in the uk??

Thoughts

Watch the video in this thread, it will explain a lot about the oils we put in the car. Once you understand the concepts, you can make a conscious decision, as you see everyone uses different brands.

Personally, I've always used Fuchs 10W-40.

delsoljon86

Advanced Member
My monthly mileage is around 250 miles. I commute 1.7 miles to work each day and around 4 miles home. I won't be using it for track.is this something to bare in mind as well or is that not really a problem. I always warm the car up before use and take it for long drives on the weekend.

kyle'87

Advanced Member
delsoljon86 said:
My monthly mileage is around 250 miles. I commute 1.7 miles to work each day and around 4 miles home. I won't be using it for track.is this something to bare in mind as well or is that not really a problem. I always warm the car up before use and take it for long drives on the weekend.

You pretty much mirror my own driving. I have no problems with the Fuchs fully synth stuff, I check my oil levels monthly and only ever have to top it up on the odd occasion.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
delsoljon86 said:

Get yourself a pushbike. I work 4.2 miles from home and I'm faster on a bike than I am in a car.