Best gearnob for shift improvement

Charged

Morning on this snowy morning in Kent!

I've been doing some research on this.I love dc5 interior standard as it is buuutt...
My standard shifter is a bit worn and even though impressed with the gearbox shifts id like a tiny improvement if possible.

I really like the look of the skunk 2 shifter. Will suit my black and red interior great.I seems to get positive reviews just wondered if there are any other "weigthed" options.

Also planning a PERSONAL NEO GRINTA SUEDE leather wheel in the future.So skunk2 will compliment it nicely.

Thanks!

moody_mage

Morning from Kent as well :D

I def noticed an improvement with the Skunk 2 weighted shifter knob over both OEM and a k-tuned knob. I find it clicks into gear that little bit easier

Charged

Where do you abouts do you hail from in the garden of England?

Ok if there is a 2% improvement i think im sold on a new shifter anyway lol.

So you have a k tuned billet shifter thing? Really tempted by of of these.But kind of like oem interior..says the guy with a supercharged dc5 lol

moody_mage

I'm in Tunbridge Wells

I did have the Ktuned shifter but upgraded to the Hybrid v3 which I really like. FYI when I had the ktuned shifter in it still looked OEM as I the platics and gaiter still fitted just fine. Currently I don't have the gaiter on with my hybrid shifter but am considering seeing if it would fit back on

Charged

I'm in Tunbridge Wells

I did have the Ktuned shifter but upgraded to the Hybrid v3 which I really like. FYI when I had the ktuned shifter in it still looked OEM as I the platics and gaiter still fitted just fine. Currently, I don't have the gaiter on with my hybrid shifter but am considering seeing if it would fit back on
Ah tunbridge wells very nice.I recently purchased a motorbike from a nice chap there and the A26 is a decent spin if you're off to Sussex way.Had a few good drives down there,Need to find some really good routes kent based. We do Edenbridge run a lot on the bikes.

Its not so much the gator removal its the fact the aftermarket shifters seem to hit the plastic surround the centre console? transmission tunnel? whatever you call it.To be fair I've never been in one fitted to a DC5 but have seen "clearance issues" in other cars where people cut bits out so can hit first correctly etc.

Hm the hybridge V3 seems reasonably well priced compared to the k tuned looking online. you say it fits perfectly with just no clearance issues? just no leather gator? its comes in anoidized red and black also :p

this is what I do... Say I don't go crazy on mods. Spent 3k in a car sell it in 6 months and be too lazy to remove them and essentially giving them away to new owner lol

moody_mage

The Hybrid fits my centre console with no clearance issues at all so good there, I have the red one :)

There are a couple of types of ktuned shifter. The 'race' spec one will hit the centre console as it has a really oversized lump of metal on the shifter stick itself. The type I had was a just the shifter stick itself

Both shifters have a degree of customisation - so you may need to rotate and position the shifter to fit the console a bit

1612784691044.png

Mebz

Advanced Member
Acquity do a shifter now too.

As for gear nob, I've got the skunk 2 (with oem shifter). Can't say I have noticed a difference in shift feel.

moody_mage

Ah tunbridge wells very nice.I recently purchased a motorbike from a nice chap there and the A26 is a decent spin if you're off to Sussex way.Had a few good drives down there,Need to find some really good routes kent based. We do Edenbridge run a lot on the bikes.

Its not so much the gator removal its the fact the aftermarket shifters seem to hit the plastic surround the centre console? transmission tunnel? whatever you call it.To be fair I've never been in one fitted to a DC5 but have seen "clearance issues" in other cars where people cut bits out so can hit first correctly etc.

Hm the hybridge V3 seems reasonably well priced compared to the k tuned looking online. you say it fits perfectly with just no clearance issues? just no leather gator? its comes in anoidized red and black also :p

this is what I do... Say I don't go crazy on mods. Spent 3k in a car sell it in 6 months and be too lazy to remove them and essentially giving them away to new owner lol
If you're local feel free to borrow mine for a bit, see how it is for you

Elliot438

Gear knob isn't going to help shifter feel really. I found the standard DC5 shifter feel terrible probably because I came from a DC2 and also had a EK4 with shifter upgrades. Cable bushings will never feel as good as B series on a shifter rod but I've got mine a lot better.

I've upgraded about everything from the shifter assembly;
Acuity 4 way shifter
Skunk2 gearknob
Tegiwa cable bushings
Delrin shifter bushings
Acuity selector springs
SpeedFactory detent springs

I only recently added the Acuity shifter and that replaced a Tegiwa short shifter kit on the standard shifter which was still a really good setup if you don't want to fork out on the aftermarket shifter units. I found the standard steering wheel is nice but when I upgraded to a Personal Neo Grinta I realised how much better it can feel.

Charged

Acquity do a shifter now too.

As for gear nob, I've got the skunk 2 (with oem shifter). Can't say I have noticed a difference in shift feel.
Acquity looks good online can't find many reviews by owners on a DC5 tho will ask Elliot438.I think if I go complete shifter then moody_mage
Hybrid looks most appealing due to being red...:rolleyes::p

I figured as much, Just thought it looked nice. Ok forget 2%..lets go for 0.2% ..placebo not included.;)

Charged

Gear knob isn't going to help shifter feel really. I found the standard DC5 shifter feel terrible probably because I came from a DC2 and also had a EK4 with shifter upgrades. Cable bushings will never feel as good as B series on a shifter rod but I've got mine a lot better.

I've upgraded about everything from the shifter assembly;
Acuity 4 way shifter
Skunk2 gearknob
Tegiwa cable bushings
Delrin shifter bushings
Acuity selector springs
SpeedFactory detent springs

I only recently added the Acuity shifter, and that replaced a Tegiwa short shifter kit on the standard shifter which was still a really good setup if you don't want to fork out on the aftermarket shifter units. I found the standard steering wheel is nice but when I upgraded to a Personal Neo Grinta I realised how much better it can feel.
I can see how the DC2 might be better. Honestly regarding the shifter feel. Yes, it's great compared to my 2006 e90 320d DD... But compared to my standard 95k mile 987 Gen 2 Boxster S Its simply not as good. The DC5 box is great (had fluids done within week ownership of the car) and it does have something that the Porsche box didn't have...I can't quite articulate yet, The speed of possible shifts? Just feels lighting speed shifts are possible. I feel as if I could out shift a modern VW DSG lol. But maybe that's just the frantic nature of the car I need more time in it.

A fair list of mods you've got there on the gearbox my friend.Must feel amazing.

These the ones? Seem very reasonably priced with a marked improvement in shift quality. I will consider this thanks.

Elliot438

I can see how the DC2 might be better. Honestly regarding the shifter feel. Yes, it's great compared to my 2006 e90 320d DD... But compared to my standard 95k mile 987 Gen 2 Boxster S Its simply not as good. The DC5 box is great (had fluids done within week ownership of the car) and it does have something that the Porsche box didn't have...I can't quite articulate yet, The speed of possible shifts? Just feels lighting speed shifts are possible. I feel as if I could out shift a modern VW DSG lol. But maybe that's just the frantic nature of the car I need more time in it.

A fair list of mods you've got there on the gearbox my friend.Must feel amazing.

These the ones? Seem very reasonably priced with a marked improvement in shift quality. I will consider this thanks.

If you're happy with how the shifter feels then save your money. I personally cannot stand any play in the shifter and after all of the upgrades (before Acuity shifter) there was still play coming from the standard shifter itself due to being plastic and cheaply made.

That is the short shifter kit I had. I still have and would sell it to you if you are interested. I seem to remember it eliminated a small amount of play but it's main role is shortening the throw and left to right action (gate). In a way similar to the expensive shifter work, by moving the shifter cable position except obviously it's not adjustable.