Big brake kit arrived for my DC5

ekchris139

Advanced Member
I always felt that the brakes on my DC5 were a bit of a weak spot even with new discs, pads and fluids. They were grand but wasn't 100% confident in them. Further inspection of the oem brakes showed that the bleed nipple was leaking fluid and the pistons and seals were extremely worn and rusted. Instead of getting the callipers rebuilt and having to replace the costly oem discs I opted for a big brake bit.

I started doing research into yellowspeed, ksport (had these before but replacement parts are pricey), AP and stoptech. The last 2 were a significant wedge of cash.

I decided to see could I get the best brakes I have ever experienced (Renault Megane RS250) custom made for my car. Had a look at the replacement costs for discs and pads. Roughly half the price of the DC5 replacements for what I wanted.

I got in touch with Freakyparts in the UK who do alot of custom kits for race teams and track cars. From the start Stewart talked me through every step, answered every stupid question (I'm sure there was endless amounts). After a lengthy discussion I finally pulled the trigger.

Renault Megane MK3 RS250 Brembo Calipers
Grooved 330x28mm discs
Carbon Lorraine RC5+ pads
Hel braided lines
ATE Type 200 race fluid
Custom mounts and brackets
Oem brembo pins

Below are a few pictures of the kit. I will probably have these fitted in the next 2-3 weeks. These should provide a massive increase in braking force compared to my old set up.

abbey132

interested how this feels, rough price? pm me if you like.. im in the market for big brakes soon, interested to see everyone elses take on bbk's is too.....

adam.

Advanced Member
Genius!

What with the Meg being 5x114.3, I imagine disks are easier to get hold of too!

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
What about bells? The standard Renault ones the same fitment?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ekchris139

Advanced Member
abbey132 said:
interested how this feels, rough price? pm me if you like.. im in the market for big brakes soon, interested to see everyone elses take on bbk's is too.....
What I got above with the custom brackets was just over 1k sterling which for what you get is great value

adamlstr said:
Genius!

What with the Meg being 5x114.3, I imagine disks are easier to get hold of too!
The discs are from a Nissan Murano 3.5. Can use 350z discs but they are 30mm thick so might be a slight chance of hitting off the caliper. I didnt want that so went with a 28mm thick disc which there is no problem with clearances. The Megane standard discs are 340mm but opted not to go for these or the 348 2 piece floating discs as I want to see can I still use my 17" wheels with the above kit.

Johngreen537 said:
What about bells? The standard Renault ones the same fitment?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Bells are made for the kit. Freakyparts had to get a dc5 hub to customise this kit. As far as I'm aware I'm the first with this kit through freakyparts.

ekchris139

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
This is awesome, does it fit under stock oem wheels without Spencer‘s etc? Thanks
Not 100% sure about this. Calipers might be a little too big. I have 18" on at the moment but went 330mm discs in a hope that they would fit the oem wheel.

I plan on bringing an oem wheel up when these are getting fitted to see

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Wow! Fair played Chris. What a fantastic idea! I really hope they work for you, they look stunning!

I am in complete agreement, the standard brakes on these cars are garbage although with a better pad the braking does improve slightly.

When I had my CRX VTEC, some of the forum lads figured out that the larger discs and calipers off an MGZS (The 2.5 model) would fit to the CRX with a little modification and the car I bought came with this bigger brake kit off the MG and it made such a difference, gave so much more confidence driving at speed and attacking bends.

I really hope this works for you as I can see more members going down a similar route.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Wow! Fair played Chris. What a fantastic idea! I really hope they work for you, they look stunning!

I am in complete agreement, the standard brakes on these cars are garbage although with a better pad the braking does improve slightly.

When I had my CRX VTEC, some of the forum lads figured out that the larger discs and calipers off an MGZS (The 2.5 model) would fit to the CRX with a little modification and the car I bought came with this bigger brake kit off the MG and it made such a difference, gave so much more confidence driving at speed and attacking bends.

I really hope this works for you as I can see more members going down a similar route.
Garbage? Really? What other cars have you driven lol

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
Garbage? Really? What other cars have you driven lol
Loads thank you and yes, they're crap. Zero braking power and you have to slam on before they actually work properly. My old Teg and the new one both suffer from bad brakes. My brothers MK4 SDI Golf diesel has better stopping power than the DC5.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Loads thank you and yes, they're crap. Zero braking power and you have to slam on before they actually work properly. My old Teg and the new one both suffer from bad brakes. My brothers MK4 SDI Golf diesel has better stopping power than the DC5.
Fair, i'd say Garbage is a bit unfair though. With that standard EP3 brakes wouldnt even stop you!

spooke

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
Fair, i'd say Garbage is a bit unfair though. With that standard EP3 brakes wouldnt even stop you!
I dunno I find mine pretty awful too, they have a good pedal feel but they're weak as anything (OEM Discs and PMU NS400 may be why). My brother drove my car and said the brakes are terrible, he has an EP3 with c hooked discs and pbs pads and his anchors up so hard. But even so they do not perform for how they look, being flashy "Brembos" :D

ollieh17

Advanced Member
must just have driven cars with seriously bad brakes. I dislike brakes that are all or nothing. Find the brembos have a good feel and gradual. And good slamming on. That's on brembos pads too.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I've got RPB grooved discs with PBS pads and don't find them 'garbage' at all. They're perfect for the road, I've never felt they were underperforming. The force is nice and gradual as I hate cars they just bite and lock up as it's frustrating on the road.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

ekchris139

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:

Hope so too. I have felt virtually the same set up in a megane rs around a track and they were immense. Given the DC5 is a good bit lighter they should be better again. I will be giving feedback when they are fitted.
Chris. said:
How come you didn‘t go with the tried and tested TGM BBK?
Is this the F50 kit. If so the 3k sterling price tag is why I didnt go it. If its another kit I havent heard of it.

Most BBK come from people just trying different combinations. I thought I would try something out of the ordinary which doesnt cost a bomb and if it works out it will give others an option for improving their brakes.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Fair enough. TGM kit is the F50 one but doesn‘t cost any where near £3k now I believe.

Standard brakes are a bit crap if you ask me.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Fair enough. TGM kit is the F50 one but doesn‘t cost any where near £3k now I believe.

Very crap actually, for a performance car they're poor. I think lots of people assume that because they're Brembos they're going to stop fantastically but they're pretty bad. In saying that when I bought the Hawk HP+ it made one hell of a difference but there was still scope for further improvement. I'd love a big brake kit of any kind and had I had any money spare this time round it would have been my first purchase.

ekchris139

Advanced Member
Chris. said:

Seen a second hand set going for over 2k sterling in the past few months so I'd say they are still very pricey.

For brake standards now a days I'd tend to agree about the standard brake set up on the DC5. They are fine for the road but not really for the track. Lots of people say they are brilliant but I never thought so