Big brake kit arrived for my DC5

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Very crap actually, for a performance car they're poor. I think lots of people assume that because they're Brembos they're going to stop fantastically but they're pretty bad. In saying that when I bought the Hawk HP+ it made one hell of a difference but there was still scope for further improvement. I'd love a big brake kit of any kind and had I had any money spare this time round it would have been my first purchase.
The calipers are bottom from the parts bin at Brembo, very prone to flex and the standard discs/pads are poor. The design of them is nearly 20 years old now, things have moved on and people don't seem to accept that!

Stock Fd2 brakes are much better plus 320mm rotor. I'm going for Brembo 6 pots on mine.

ekchris139 said:
Seen a second hand set going for over 2k sterling in the past few months so I'd say they are still very pricey.

For brake standards now a days I'd tend to agree about the standard brake set up on the DC5. They are fine for the road but not really for the track. Lots of people say they are brilliant but I never thought so
Can't remember what I let them go for in the end. I paid £2k from memory, then Pagid RS29 pads on top.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Can't remember what I let them go for in the end. I paid £2k from memory, then Pagid RS29 pads on top.
Pass. We swapped so much stuff over at the time it's hard to remember lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Must just be car history. To be honest they were old Japanese hatches, probably 30 year old tech. But much prefer the modulation then on my 3.0tdi Audi daily and they are pretty big

dave7368

Advanced Member
ekchris139 said:
Seen a second hand set going for over 2k sterling in the past few months so I'd say they are still very pricey.

For brake standards now a days I'd tend to agree about the standard brake set up on the DC5. They are fine for the road but not really for the track. Lots of people say they are brilliant but I never thought so
That's about right, i sold my F50 kit for 2k when I upgraded to a decent set up.... :xhappy:

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
The calipers are bottom from the parts bin at Brembo, very prone to flex and the standard discs/pads are poor. The design of them is nearly 20 years old now, things have moved on and people don't seem to accept that!

Stock Fd2 brakes are much better plus 320mm rotor. I'm going for Brembo 6 pots on mine.

Exactly, things have moved on massively and they really are junk as Daz put it. Lol. I know I'm sounding like a serial moaner here as I bang on about these pads but as you've put it, there are much better options out there if a tad expensive. I'd definitely upgrade brakes, suspension etc on the Teg as I think they're the two things that really let these cars down.

I've just driven 70 miles to the GF's on what are mainly rural roads in poor, wet conditions and as soon as I opened the car up which I didn't do much of, the handling was all over the place and the brakes do not give any confidence whatsoever. I I wish I had a few grand aside to improve the brakes.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Not sure what brakes are on some of these tegs but the brembos on mine with oem discs and project mu hc800 pads feel like they came with an attached anchor once up to temp! :p

I have driven so many new cars due to hiring them while abroad and yes, they do have a sharper initial bite, but the gradual feel of the dc5 brakes are better in my opinion, better to have more co trol rather than on/off feel

SamDC5

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
Not sure what brakes are on some of these tegs but the brembos on mine with oem discs and project mu hc800 pads feel like they came with an attached anchor once up to temp!

I have driven so many new cars due to hiring them while abroad and yes, they do have a sharper initial bite, but the gradual feel of the dc5 brakes are better in my opinion, better to have more co trol rather than on/off feel
Apparently some have the brakes off a Jazz according to some of these posts

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Apparently some have the brakes off a Jazz according to some of these posts

A Honda Jazz has probably got better brakes in all honesty.

abbey132

Chris. said:
age isnt relevant at all, you cant say the F50 caliper is newer and better, its only better because it has bigger pad area and disc, nothing to do with moving on, yes they are probably a better caliper, but in effect this caliper is older than DC5's as they were fitting them to F50's from 1995. so this is still a 23+ year old design.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
A Honda Jazz has probably got better brakes in all honesty.
I think you need to check your brakes then, either you have a leaking caliper or knackered pads.

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
To be fair I only changed as I was doing a big deal with Chris. Otherwise I was happy with the OEM setup.

It's only after you change you realise the difference. I'm not saying they felt at all bad, just that after going far better, then going back would feel shocking.

All perspective I think. You get used to one setup, dropping back to OEM will feel terribe. Bit like removing a turbo really!

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Johngreen537 said:
To be fair I only changed as I was doing a big deal with Chris. Otherwise I was happy with the OEM setup.

It's only after you change you realise the difference. I'm not saying they felt at all bad, just that after going far better, then going back would feel shocking.

All perspective I think. You get used to one setup, dropping back to OEM will feel terribe. Bit like removing a turbo really!

This is a better perspective. Going as far as saying the OEM setup is 'garbage' is garbage. For the road they are perfectly fine and you'll never see the limit of the caliper on the road. If you do, then you're being an idiot on the road.

Track is obviously a different story.