Big Brake Kit Options

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

I know there are a few threads already started on this topic, but though I would start a fresh one.

So my front brakes need changing and thought it would be a good opportunity to upgrade.

I've looked into the FreakyParts kit, the K systems (which is basically the same thing), but not sure they'll be a good enough upgrade over the oem brembos. Plus i'm not convinced over the design with the calipers only covering half the pads.

I have a budget of c£1k, so not a lot of choice. Anyone used the yellow speed big brake kit?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
Hi guys,

I know there are a few threads already started on this topic, but though I would start a fresh one.

So my front brakes need changing and thought it would be a good opportunity to upgrade.

I've looked into the FreakyParts kit, the K systems (which is basically the same thing), but not sure they'll be a good enough upgrade over the oem brembos. Plus i'm not convinced over the design with the calipers only covering half the pads.

I have a budget of c£1k, so not a lot of choice. Anyone used the yellow speed big brake kit?
Have you considered Endless, Project Mu or Spoon calipers?

All very good and reputable.

Endless and Project Mu you have to run their pads and rotors whereas Spoon can be used alongside 90% of other brands.

Main gains with these are the weight and the fact they are brand new calipers and a perfect fit.

I worry about the BBK kits using other brands parts as imo these will be bottom of the barrel callipers thrown on a Megane and such as the DC5 ones are. They are perfectly good but if you are upgrading you're batter of upgrading properly imo as in complete change.

Another option is AP or completely different Brembo's that are more focussed and fit for purpose.

I know when I swap mine off I wont be going for the likes of Freakyparts BBK Brembo's as the main gain there is a bigger disc, I want to get lighter callipers, less un sprung weight and so on mate.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Have you considered Endless, Project Mu or Spoon calipers?

All very good and reputable.

Endless and Project Mu you have to run their pads and rotors whereas Spoon can be used alongside 90% of other brands.

Main gains with these are the weight and the fact they are brand new calipers and a perfect fit.

I worry about the BBK kits using other brands parts as imo these will be bottom of the barrel callipers thrown on a Megane and such as the DC5 ones are. They are perfectly good but if you are upgrading you're batter of upgrading properly imo as in complete change.

Another option is AP or completely different Brembo's that are more focussed and fit for purpose.

I know when I swap mine off I wont be going for the likes of Freakyparts BBK Brembo's as the main gain there is a bigger disc, I want to get lighter callipers, less un sprung weight and so on mate.
Yeah that's why i want to avoid the FreakyParts ones

Endless, Project Mu, Spoon kits are verrryyyy pricey as are the AP kits that Reyland seel (c£1900).

I am tempted by the yellow speed kit as it looks the part and Area say they have tested them on their EP3 and find them to be just as good as the AP kit.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Yeah that's why i want to avoid the FreakyParts ones

Endless, Project Mu, Spoon kits are verrryyyy pricey as are the AP kits that Reyland seel (c£1900).

I am tempted by the yellow speed kit as it looks the part and Area say they have tested them on their EP3 and find them to be just as good as the AP kit.
I am a true believer in parts as you know and have yet to experience my Area suspension yet, but brakes is one thing I would be very slow in deciding on. There are many things to consider as like you say Endless, Project Mu etc are all expensive.

Spoon ar ethe best of the bunch imo as you can use anything from OEM to aftermarket rotors and pads whereas you are stuck with endless and project mu to use theirs from memory (however the kits would compliment one another.

I would laso consider the weight of the calipers as un sprung weight is a big thing and lifespan of them. I know spoon quality and their calipers are amazing and from memory about 50% lighter than oem, maybe worth looking into the Area supplied ones to see how they have been known to perform, any weaknesses and also their weight. Too add lightness adds speed and more stable controllable braking :)

Reggie91

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I am a true believer in parts as you know and have yet to experience my Area suspension yet, but brakes is one thing I would be very slow in deciding on. There are many things to consider as like you say Endless, Project Mu etc are all expensive.

Spoon ar ethe best of the bunch imo as you can use anything from OEM to aftermarket rotors and pads whereas you are stuck with endless and project mu to use theirs from memory (however the kits would compliment one another.

I would laso consider the weight of the calipers as un sprung weight is a big thing and lifespan of them. I know spoon quality and their calipers are amazing and from memory about 50% lighter than oem, maybe worth looking into the Area supplied ones to see how they have been known to perform, any weaknesses and also their weight. Too add lightness adds speed and more stable controllable braking :)
The spoon calipers are £1300? But what discs can i run on them? I'm ideally after more stopping power aswell so a large dics/pads area will be beneficial. Ideally after at least a 320mm discs

carl hammond

Advanced Member
The spoon calipers are £1300? But what discs can i run on them? I'm ideally after more stopping power aswell so a large dics/pads area will be beneficial. Ideally after at least a 320mm discs
Not sure you can use bigger discs, I will have to check mate as I know the Spoon Monoblock Calipers are designed as an upgraded lighter replacement for the OE Brembo's. They are a direct fit and are designed to work with the stock brakes inc ABS etc.

As you can use the OEM discs and pads I assume they maybe limited to size again as per the OEM but I would be surprised if they were not substantially better (especially a brand new setup). The fact they are mono-block (one piece construction) brings much improved rigidity

I know someone running Endless if you'd like me to see if they are restricted to disc size also etc?

Other option is AP's like Mebz I believe it is runs? I have yet to find any issues with my brembo's apart from they weigh half the cars weight, but I did refurb them etc so they are like new (or were)

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Hmm yeah I think I might just save up for the AP kit. Feel like i'm never gonna sell the teg at this rate as theres always more to be done haha

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
Hmm yeah I think I might just save up for the AP kit. Feel like i'm never gonna sell the teg at this rate as theres always more to be done haha
Book a trackday, disconnect brakes and send it, save some money lol, (sorry more useless pointless comment ever) :xking: :xgrin:

carl hammond

Advanced Member

Reggie91

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Never seen these myself, I am looking at the Project Mu Front Brake Rotors and brand new HC800+ pads (and I will keep the nearly new pads as spares to use once the discs etc are all worn in.

I wonder if the bell housing on this would work with the Project mu rotor (if bought separately later down the line ?
Where are you looking to source the Project Mu front rotors?

The SPD kit looks good. Was used on the buddyclub race car. Not sure if they do replacement rotors and pads

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Where are you looking to source the Project Mu front rotors?

The SPD kit looks good. Was used on the buddyclub race car. Not sure if they do replacement rotors and pads
I get them direct from a mate who supplies me my parts from Japan mate, can't recall the price but I need them for next season 100% and it's annoying as I forgot to order the discs last time which is why I now need both and will have to keep these partly (2 trackday used) HC800's for use once the discs are bed in etc.

Deffo worth seeing if replacement rotors can be had if you keep and utilise the hub once the rotor's knackered as these are a fair bit cheaper than the Project Mu's

ekchris139

Advanced Member
Carl what are you talking about "Megane Calipers are bottom of the barrel" Such a ridiculous statement

You seem to have an opinion for alot of parts you have no experience with

carl hammond

Advanced Member
ekchris139 said:
Carl what are you talking about "Megane Calipers are bottom of the barrel" Such a ridiculous statement

You seem to have alot of views on parts that you have no experience from
By this I mean they won‘t be their high end performance items, exactly as is the case with the DC5, they are good brakes but not the best they make or sell as manufacturers won‘t be forking our big bucks for the best on cars being sold in these numbers.

Brembo do many calipers and the ones on cars from the factory are good but not up their with there best ones available.

“ You seem to have alot of views on parts that you have no experience from “ such as? What are your examples as I‘ve experience with many makes, models and parts and try only offer advice based on experience thanks...

kazmo

Advanced Member
to be fair both Brembo and AP have cheap mass produced calipers for high volume OEM fitment like on the megane, as Carl said they wont be much different to OEM DC5 calipers. their top end stuff would cost you more than the DC5 is worth just for the calipers alone! so whether needed or not, because i can should be the motto for people spending big on brakes haha...

SamDC5

Advanced Member
At the end of the day the difference between the YSR kit and an AP/equivalent kit is weight. Want to save yourself some money, I'd go for the Yellow Speed kit.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I was also in the same predicament before my engine let go. I was ready to buy a Yellowspeed kit but the seller let me down. You'll pay 2K for an AP kit or just over 1K for YSR.

ep3itrdc5

Advanced Member
brake kits are a big financial mistake, decent pads and discs with OEM calipers will be more than adequate for most people

SamDC5

Advanced Member
ep3itrdc5 said:
brake kits are a big financial mistake, decent pads and discs with OEM calipers will be more than adequate for most people
The OEM setup struggles when pushed on track.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
The OEM setup struggles when pushed on track.

Ive not had any issues with my setup but I did rebuild it all, run good braided lines and fluid with decent pads etc.

The ES pads started to fade after circa 120laps of brands with only 5-10 mins between each 30 lap stint, whereas the project mu‘s were amazing for 77 non stop laps, the only reason I had to stop was the camber bolt coming loose from hitting the curbs so much.

The main gain from a change to Endless, Project Mu or Spoon calipers is the weigh difference as they are circa 50% lighter each. Not sure how much the Yellowspeed calipers weigh myself but I know the brembos from a megane will only offer the option of a bigger disc over the oem brembo and will weigh similar to a dc5 one.

For a budget the Yellowspeed look a good option, then you move to the Japanese brands above then AP and Brembo‘s proper race calipers but then you‘re talking big money.

I recall paying nearly £6k for my GTR front 8 pots and another £2.5k for the rear 4 pots on it so assume decent AP‘s or Brembos for the DC5 will be along the lines of £2.8-4K