Big Brake Kit Options

SamDC5

Advanced Member
AP5000R kit is 2K from Area Motorsport.

The problem with the OEM setup is how much heat it retains...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
AP5000R kit is 2K from Area Motorsport.

The problem with the OEM setup is how much heat it retains...

Yeah deffo, have you rebuilt yours? I did mine last year but assume similar could happen soon

That‘s not a bad price on the AP tbh

Monoblock setup will always be better and spoon always catches my eye as I know how good and light they are

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ep3itrdc5 said:
brake kits are a big financial mistake, decent pads and discs with OEM calipers will be more than adequate for most people
They're crap mate the standard brakes, absolute turd.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
judging by what you post here everything about a DC5 is crap in your opinion mate
Annoyingly Marc's been very unlucky with this second DC5 he has owned :-(

It's a shame as they are very good and capable cars and for the money, running costs and reliability levels there isn't much that can touch then (especially on track in the right hands)

SamDC5

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Yeah deffo, have you rebuilt yours? I did mine last year but assume similar could happen soon

That‘s not a bad price on the AP tbh

Monoblock setup will always be better and spoon always catches my eye as I know how good and light they are
I don't see the point of the Spoon kit personally as you can't even run bigger discs. Calipers will be a bit lighter yes, but if you're spending that kind of money you may as well upgrade them properly.

No they weren't rebuilt and to be honest it would be pointless as the dust boots would just melt again. It's evident that the temperature is getting too high causing the issue so it'll be a new kit for me next year.

Depending on how much free cash I have, it'll be between the YSR kit or the AP kit that Area Motorsport do.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
They're crap mate the standard brakes, absolute turd.
I wouldn't go as far to call them 'crap', they've done me a hard year on numerous circuits. Never had fade on the actual track, because these calipers retain so much heat it's important that you use them correctly. I found myself riding the brakes a lot before coming up to a corner which was putting a hell of a lot of unnecessary heat into the caliper and disc. Once I forced myself to brake later and harder they weren't too bad. But still, all the people in my group with Hondas have BBK's and they could out brake me with confidence.

For a road car it's pointless I'd say, PBS pads, RPB discs, HEL lines and RBF600 have done me well at numerous UK circuits along with the Nurburgring (not heavy on brakes) and the Nurburgring GP circuit which is insanely harsh on brakes.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I don't see the point of the Spoon kit personally as you can't even run bigger discs. Calipers will be a bit lighter yes, but if you're spending that kind of money you may as well upgrade them properly.

No they weren't rebuilt and to be honest it would be pointless as the dust boots would just melt again. It's evident that the temperature is getting too high causing the issue so it'll be a new kit for me next year.

Depending on how much free cash I have, it'll be between the YSR kit or the AP kit that Area Motorsport do.

Dependfs on the costs of other setups, the Spoon don't only offer the weight loss of around 50% over OEM and the likes of the Megane kit they also are a monoblock construction and are very rigid compared to the oem or similar

Yeah you can't run the bigger discs (will need to check that tbh) but if you have a monoblock 50% lighter brand new caliper with decent discs and pads they will be a very good bit of kit and all of that for less than a set of AP calipers (I for my own car can get money off spoon, Endless and Project Mu) so for me I would be around £1400 all in for Calipers, Discs and Pads again

I have been looping at the AP's recently as loved my last setup from AP.

With regards to your dust seals going, do you think this is as you say "you were riding the brakes"? I have never had mine fade or overheat etc but on the flipside I have never ridden the brakes on track so wonder if that was a big contributor to the additional heat?

I do think that the AP's and high end Brembo's would be better than Spoon Calipers but for the money and amount of use, unless you're competing it's a lot more £££ for not a lot more gain (unless you specifically chase lap times) which I don't

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ep3itrdc5 said:
judging by what you post here everything about a DC5 is crap in your opinion mate
I've really gone off the Integra having suffered from major issues both with this and the previous one. As above I really don't rate the brakes, they're extremely poor. You obviously like them so that's absolutely fine, I'm just not getting on with the DC5, they're not the car for me sadly. I also don't think they're particularly well built in terms of components. Anyway, hopefully I'll be away from the forum soon so you won't have to see anymore of my posts.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
So I just got back from TGM and spoke to Tom regarding my brakes. Hes said well they are 15years old almost, and they're not designed for continual abuse on track.

He even recommended going for the cheaper brands like K sport, yellow speed etc. As they'll still be a noticeable upgrade from OEM.

Obviously you get what you pay for and proper brembo/ap race kits are even better but it all comes down to how deep your pockets are :)

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
So I just got back from TGM and spoke to Tom regarding my brakes. Hes said well they are 15years old almost, and they're not designed for continual abuse on track.

He even recommended going for the cheaper brands like K sport, yellow speed etc. As they'll still be a noticeable upgrade from OEM.

Obviously you get what you pay for and proper brembo/ap race kits are even better but it all comes down to how deep your pockets are :)
That's fair advice, out of them I'd go for the Yellowspeeds.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
I think the key thing he mentioned was the size of the discs. The OEM discs are small and too thin so heat quickly.

Carl he also said the spoon calipers are a waste of time and money. 'its just for show' is what he said. Yes they'll be lighter but for a performance point of view the change from OEM will be negligible

abbey132

interesting opinions here, am thinking about brake upgrade also soon, wondering if you guys who have already upgraded will post up some pics and rough price you paid.. (optional) lol.. also is the rear worth upgrading?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
abbey132 said:
interesting opinions here, am thinking about brake upgrade also soon, wondering if you guys who have already upgraded will post up some pics and rough price you paid.. (optional) lol.. also is the rear worth upgrading?
You're looking at around 1-1.2K for the cheaper kits like Yellowspeed. Or 2K for a set of AP5000R's. Those prices are with PBS pads or you could go for a pad like RS29's for a bit more.

No you don't need to upgrade the rears, just a decent set of pads is fine.

Mebz

Advanced Member
abbey132 said:
Can't remember if I paid 1900 or 2k for mine. Came with rs29 pads.

ekchris139

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
“ You seem to have alot of views on parts that you have no experience from “ such as? What are your examples as I‘ve experience with many makes, models and parts and try only offer advice based on experience thanks...

For one you spent months and months going on about how you would never ever buy anything made in Taiwan as they are cheaply made, waste of money, won't perform etc. Any thread relating suspension in the past about people looking at running Meisters, BC, YSP you had the same view and now you have bought a set of yellow speed coilovers which are made in Taiwan.

In this thread you are advising to go the Spoon caliper which is basically the exact same as the standard DC5 caliper but it has Spoon on it. These were on my radar when considering brakes for my DC5 and I was lucky enough to try a set out on an s2000 before I put in my order and I am glad I did. No upgrade really.

When it comes to advice regarding car mods there's alot of hear say and car park rep points for certain parts which every one jumps on the band wagon given their personal opinion when they have zero experience of those parts. It's 95% hear say or reading reviews online not from actual personal experience.

Now getting back on topic regarding the brake kits, I have had Ksports in the passed and tried out YSR kits as well on different cars and for the money they are a great piece of kit especially now some companies offer replacement discs for not that much money.

If you can get an AP kit with RS29 pads on it for 1900-2k I would find it very hard to look past this. Yes it is a fair whack of money initally but resale value is high with AP so you won't lose a massive amount of money on them.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
ekchris139 said:
For one you spent months and months going on about how you would never ever buy anything made in Taiwan as they are cheaply made, waste of money, won't perform etc. Any thread relating suspension in the past about people looking at running Meisters, BC, YSP you had the same view and now you have bought a set of yellow speed coilovers which are made in Taiwan.

In this thread you are advising to go the Spoon caliper which is basically the exact same as the standard DC5 caliper but it has Spoon on it. These were on my radar when considering brakes for my DC5 and I was lucky enough to try a set out on an s2000 before I put in my order and I am glad I did. No upgrade really.

When it comes to advice regarding car mods there's alot of hear say and car park rep points for certain parts which every one jumps on the band wagon given their personal opinion when they have zero experience of those parts. It's 95% hear say or reading reviews online not from actual personal experience.
Firstly the Yellowspeeds. I had no budget I‘m on suspension kit 4 currently and bought them as a trial. I‘ve always hated them yeah and so far from my use of them they are not anywhere near the quality of the B16‘s but do have their benefits.

The car going more track focussed means I need certain aspects covered (camber and caster being two of Them). I bought Area Motorsports version not the off the shelf YS setup as these are rebuilt in-house so the shell etc is cheap tat yeah but following a lot of conversations with Area I decided to give them a go based on my needs and the fact if they don‘t live up to the hype I‘ll happily bin them off and buy Nitron, Aragosta or AST at a cost of circa 4K (but based on the fact I only do about 3k miles a year of which 90% is on track that seemed like a silly thing to do) for now at least.

You claim I have no experience with such parts, but experience doesn‘t have to be that I‘ve personally owned and buy them it can be that close mates have and I‘ve used the cars and experienced the parts and their failures which is generally the case as I‘m an ex GTR guy not Honda (aside from my DC2).

I never advised to go for spoon calipers I said what the benefits of them are if you look back properly and advised that brembos factory fitted are the below end versions of 4pots which is the case for the megane as well as the DC5, good brakes but still low end calipers that are mass produced and heavy, the main benefit of megane setups are bigger discs but imo I‘ve always gone AP or similar and feel that‘s the better route (but again costs lots which most people don‘t want to pay).

So which parts have I never experienced or used as I‘ve experienced all the suspensions I‘ve mentioned, all the calipers I have said are good, all the exhausts I looked into and investigated in depth and so on.

Many have benefited greatly from advice and help from not only myself but others also so if you don‘t like what‘s being said feel free not to comment, but in the case of the calipers you‘re wrong, mass produced and sold brembos on cars like the megane are not going to be massively better than a dc5 caliper, the main issue with dc5 brakes is that 90% have not been fully rebuilt etc meaning their components are 17 or so years old meaning a brand new megane caliper will be sharper as it‘s new, but compare that to an AP and it‘ll be worlds apart and spoon ones are very light which is what I‘ve said all along

Linus27

Advanced Member
Hi Carl, I'll be interested in what you end up getting brake wise. My Teggy is going more track focused again and all that's left is a set of Bilstein B16/B14's and brakes. Tom did mention Megane brakes as an option but it was only a passing comment. I'll be talking to him again over the next few week to firm up what to get.