Big brakes kit for optimum racing?

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Guys,

Did an extensive search on this and would be keen to see those that do proper racing series and/or hardcore track days on their views on brake kit systems.

I had a word with some of the known garages and they all have mentioned that to do proper racing, you will need to move away from the oem DC5 set up to something a lot bigger, possibly 6 pot, big disc variants?

I know aftermarket wise, combos have known to be Paul G's 2 piece disc with mintex 1144 pads... a combo in which I have already.

I've read stuff like project mu are good, what about other brands like J's Racing etc, they all again just paying for brand or actually really good stopping brakes out on the circuit? I'm sure I've seen some beige coloured brembo calipers setup, not sure what that's off though.

Any other tried and tested ones out there recommended? Cheers.

Stoo

Whining.....
Speak to tgm about the set up on their race cars

Gold brembos

Dibs on the Paul g's

Paul G

Members
I used to race my DC5 in Nippon.. Used my 2 piece discs with Mintex F4 pads and had no prob with the brakes at all..

The Nippon races are 15 min, if you are going to be doing longer than 15-20 min races then IMO you would need to go for bigger brakes. If not just use F4 race pads with the 2 piece discs you already have :idea: .

Paul.

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Paul, the F4 pads only for race use only? How much? If I can learn how to change them over then I'll get some of them.

Nippon etc will be the kinda races I'm aiming to get in to at some point :D

haitch

Advanced Member
Problem with many of the Jap big brake kits is pad availability, waiting for pads to come from Japan is not good. Depending on the kit you dont need 6/8/10 pots etc. Not tried the Paul G combo, but I run the same setup as the TGM race car, pads are always available, and a good choice, I currently run AP discs with DS2500 on the road and at the track I change up for either a Hawk or Brembo race pad, stopping power is immense. The discs and pads last a long time, apart from the stopping power the best thing is the ease of changing a pad..

Paul G

Members
Yella Fella said:
Paul, the F4 pads only for race use only? How much? If I can learn how to change them over then I'll get some of them.

Nippon etc will be the kinda races I'm aiming to get in to at some point :D

Yep the F4's are track only, £212 a set & i found wear down aprox 1mm per t.day for me.

Once you've seen how easy it is to change pads you could easily do it your self, only 2 pins to tap out/in. Takes longer to get the wheel off & on.....

sinbad

Advanced Member
Paul, any link to your 2 piece discs?
I cant see them in the raders section?

eXceed

Resident Driver
Changing brake pads is easy as hell, how come noone has made a suggestion about XYZ, Tarox and/or even Ksport big brake kits? Was looking into getting 330mm 6 pots at some point as well as uprating the rear brakes to big brake as well. I hate it when brakes dont fill alloys lol.

scholesy

a lot of people think K sport and XYZ brakes are cheap Taiwanese rubbish and therefore don't like them on snob value, the main reason though is that they weigh a good deal more than a big brand like Brembo, increasing unsprung weight, they are hella cheap though compared to the big players, I would have a set!

BTW hi Wayne

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
haitch said:
Problem with many of the Jap big brake kits is pad availability, waiting for pads to come from Japan is not good. Depending on the kit you dont need 6/8/10 pots etc. Not tried the Paul G combo, but I run the same setup as the TGM race car, pads are always available, and a good choice, I currently run AP discs with DS2500 on the road and at the track I change up for either a Hawk or Brembo race pad, stopping power is immense. The discs and pads last a long time, apart from the stopping power the best thing is the ease of changing a pad..

Yeah I've seen this brembo set up at TGM.

How much was this set up, via TGM? What's the pad prices and what's the life of them for track use? :)

lee76

Advanced Member
AP Racing 6 pot calipers with 330mm directional vane discs.I use a pad compound that the super tourers used to use.They stand the car on its nose and you have the full back up from AP and their various dealers.They are a simple bolt on job that you can do if you know how to hold a spanner they come with all brackets

Give Tony Ryan at http://www.touringcarspares.com a bell or e-mail he is a real nice bloke.

Chris-DC5

Advanced Member
I have got the Project Mu 332mm kit with a 4 pot 4 pad set up and it is fantastic.

Have not found anything on track that can out break me.

Go for a big kit over the standard calliper and uprated disc.

Make sure whatever you buy will fit under 17" wheels.

You wont be dissapointed.

Cheers.

haitch

Advanced Member
VT-Doo said:
Are those calipers from another car or are they an after-market kit?
Same kit as TGM DC5, made up to fit my EK9, with my 15x7 Speedlines I need a 5mm spacer but they fit perfect under Pro Race 1.

Yella - this kit new is around £1500-2000, depending if you opt for floating discs etc, mine are fixed. Been running them for a couple of years, got my pads half worn and hardly worn them much myself, plenty of track action, I have two sets, although not used the Hawks this year as I left them in my damp shed and they dont look so good. Not sure on new prices, best to talk to Tom.

On track you see the car in front brake, you wait then wait some more, then stamp on them, you make up a huge amount of time chasing down bigger power cars 8)

we use and also sell Powervane hardened rotors with our own bells and hawk pads in a kit, 300x25, the std calipers are fine.Around £400 for the whole kit, and Every seperate spare part on the shelf in UK, even bell to rotor bolts and nuts.. :D

We even used them on our road demo car in Time Attack at Oulton park this year when a test driver mis-shifted the race car the day before. we posted a 1:39 . check everyone elses times on their brakes before making your decision.

PM for info. 8)

Paul,

Stoo

Whining.....
£560 Inc Vat/Exc Delivery

Looks like a good deal.

Just to confirm, replacement rotors and pads are readily available?

eXceed

Resident Driver
Comp ones look cheap as hell...! I think if I was going for anything like that it would be the AP racing kit I'd get or equivalent.